'72 510 Sedan Build - denis.drc - LOTS OF PICS!

denis.drc

I can't wait to see the welds you get with it. Watching this thread may greatly increase the price of my tool list :frantics:

The good thing is usually you only have to make that investment one time and you are set. Where my shop will probably be built, torn down, and rebuilt better when I decide that the whole cheap carport framing route isn't working out anymore.

My next big tool purchase is a compressor, but again I will probably get a cheap one just to turn around in a few months and buy a larger one... I never learn.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to see the welds you get with it. Watching this thread may greatly increase the price of my tool list :frantics:

The good thing is usually you only have to make that investment one time and you are set. Where my shop will probably be built, torn down, and rebuilt better when I decide that the whole cheap carport framing route isn't working out anymore.

My next big tool purchase is a compressor, but again I will probably get a cheap one just to turn around in a few months and buy a larger one... I never learn.

I can't wait to see them either. I'm really excited about the pulse feature. My leg used to get really tired of creating a manual pulse via the pedal on the old analog machine. The auto pulse & a/c balance adjustment should also really help with keeping aluminum welds consistent. I'll take any edge I can when dealing with aluminum, it's a finicky bastard of a metal.

I can't wait to see them either. I'm really excited about the pulse feature. My leg used to get really tired of creating a manual pulse via the pedal on the old analog machine. The auto pulse & a/c balance adjustment should also really help with keeping aluminum welds consistent. I'll take any edge I can when dealing with aluminum, it's a finicky bastard of a metal.

What is this German you're speaking? Last time I welded was with a stick. Man am I in for a learning curve. This thread is awesome. Keep up the magnificent work. Kirden, don't worry about your workspace. Mine is a portable (tarp type) carport. Work with what you've got

What is this German you're speaking? Last time I welded was with a stick. Man am I in for a learning curve. This thread is awesome. Keep up the magnificent work. Kirden, don't worry about your workspace. Mine is a portable (tarp type) carport. Work with what you've got

:rofl:

It's geek welder talk. The new machines are VERY advanced. They allow for medal or switch operation of high frequency TIG, up-slope and down-slope to preheat and cool the weld, and more and more and more... I won't bore you with the rest. The end result is FANCY welds.. B)

I have thought about the portable car port for a while. That may be the route I go at the house (its a rental) and then throw up a basic shop once my grandmother lets me buy an acre from her. As long as I can keep the bugs out of a basic primer/paint job the shelter has done its job.

I can't wait to see the pure awesomeness that comes from this build. I have hopes that one day I will be able to get this kind of progress on my projects, but for the time being I'll watch and dream :)

So the guys at 510realm convinced me to share the future plans for the car.

I figure it's only fair to share with my Ratsun brethren as well..

I still have some short-term items to address before I get into full-blown tear-down and fab. But....

The plan is to continue the cage build to the point of tube chassis from the inside (front & rear).
Then swap in new front and rear sub-frames.
Fully independent multi-link rear setup and a rack/pinion front setup.
Additionally, the front will be based on standard/modern McPherson struts and separate knuckles, instead of strut tubes with spindles.
I plan to modify & widen the unibody as needed..

The end result will be 58" F&R track width. (Stock 510 is 50" F&R)

As of now power plant plans are unconfirmed..

You guys willing to stick with me for this next evolution?

I'm hoping to start the new wave of upgrades in early March.

This also means that I will soon be posting a "goodie-filled" classifieds ad for the current equipment package. I'll be sad to see all those fancy, newly built goodies go, but that's the price of evolution..

Wow, messin up the 510, I'm out!

Not really :)  I can't wait to see the changes you make. Your car is awesome as it is, but I haven't seen anyone do what you are doing to a 510 yet. IMO keep the power plant under wraps to keep everyone on their toes :ninja:

Wow, messin up the 510, I'm out!

Not really :)  I can't wait to see the changes you make. Your car is awesome as it is, but I haven't seen anyone do what you are doing to a 510 yet. IMO keep the power plant under wraps to keep everyone on their toes :ninja:

You had me for a sec!  .....but come on, this is Ratsun!

I'm all about ninja status on the power plant. :ph34r:

My local metal supply place had to order the supplies I needed, so no progress on the cart build.

Instead, I spent some time further tuning the carbs. (I love the wide-band O2 gauge!)

Got the the A/F ratio to 13.8 @ WOT.

That's leaned out from a VERY rich 11.5!

Part throttle cruising is now around 14.5...sometimes goes a little leaner when I really let is coast.

Haven't gone through a full tank of gas yet, but I imagine mileage will improve slightly as well.

The car feels better every day!

A much as I love what it is now, I can't wait to get back to work on more upgrades!

I also finally installed a basic sound system. I'll post pics around lunch time..

Here is the basic sound system I threw together.

Since just about any 510 is hard enough to keep people away from, especially in shady alleys, I wanted to keep the system somewhat stealthy and not give shady folks any unneeded eye candy.

I decided to mount the head unit in the glove box, like so:

A7ECE7CD-FDE6-4057-B3FC-04E4C9776F6F-618

CB01A6DD-C2CF-4462-B9B5-9C7BDAE41D53-618

I know it seems hard to reach there while driving, but I though of that!
It's a full Bluetooth unit. Which means I control everything (volume, songs, etc..) from my phone!

Then for speakers, went with 3-Way Kenwood 4" units for the front & 6x9 Fostgates in small boxes for the rear.

I made the front speaker mounts out of some ABS stock I had laying around.

E71FE497-857B-4BE9-AD94-3456DD554CC5-661

46708e57-d8c7-4364-8036-bf789c45fec5_zps

9E2CC02B-9011-47EE-9C48-7012AA898558-554

F6496EC4-4896-4939-8B80-E2DC209B6302-554

The speaker boxes are not set there loose. They actually mounted with some bolts to the rear shelf..  :wink:

E21C0C84-59B2-42D3-8E28-EAF4A4EF19B3-554

The system is somewhat temporary, but everything is solid and it works very well!

Background music definitely improved the driving experience!

Does that driver side speaker get in the way at all? Legs hit or interfere with the hood release? Pretty cool overall though

Nope! B)

Knees are WAY clear..

The hood release still has full swing. I just reach behind the speaker to get it.

The speakers are smaller than the pics make them look. They're 4" units.

Wow this thing is very cool

I just checked out the complete tread

Never seen you at the Friday night meet in Sac off Sunrise. You would probably like it.

Will you post a finished pic of you welding cart

If  the buyer backs out from buying the L series engine I will

Wow this thing is very cool

I just checked out the complete tread

Never seen you at the Friday night meet in Sac off Sunrise. You would probably like it.

Will you post a finished pic of you welding cart

If  the buyer backs out from buying the L series engine I will

Thanks!

I've thought about heading out to the meet up, but always end up having something to take care of.

At this point it looks like I won't make it out until after the next set of mods.

I'll def. post the welding cart when I get it all finished up.

and I'll keep you posted on the sale of the engine.

having machining tools available is awesome. I find myself saying i wish I had a lathe. very impressive work.

My wife and I are with out a driver Datsun but head out there the first of the month. this last month there were 40 people and almost 20 cars

I might be installing the same seats in my dime soon

having machining tools available is awesome. I find myself saying i wish I had a lathe. very impressive work.

My wife and I are with out a driver Datsun but head out there the first of the month. this last month there were 40 people and almost 20 cars

I might be installing the same seats in my dime soon

NICE!

I'll try to make it out one of these times.

I got a call at the end of the week that my needed metal was finally in stock! So, I had to put a couple of projects on hold this weekend, but finished the welding cart!

Got some fancy metal for the surfaces..

DB52B59D-7E1A-4384-A587-DD83EC6BE1FB-390

Then I added some bracing to the shelves...(compare to the old pics for reference)

2903ADBC-24C3-45C2-AA58-02B186DE9BBB-390

Now, time to assemble!

FE8A1A9D-ADA6-4FEC-9EB6-2DED915D192C-390
EA199BE6-E46E-495B-9265-6E1118279097-390
5D9E585D-D02B-446A-A478-694E2700DA01-390

Added a brace for the tank shelf.

622C7769-15AF-40A7-9287-750192F5156C-390

Added some casters..

A74B5526-4236-44D1-B908-3E5B04AA014B-390

Set it up for some final welding.

F78D46E9-8BAC-4BEF-A952-AD80BDEF4354-413

Best of all, I GOT TO USE MY NEW TIG!!

C1FE7F01-EBF9-4BB0-990F-BB91E9B3AD86-413

This is what the garage looked like 1/2 way through... the kind of chaos I can tolerate.. :D

D2FF9160-1ECE-4DAE-99FD-C43401EA5880-413

All welded up and ready for shelves.

5E5E6C4E-7251-4052-8311-56EF7E315DE0-390

A friend of mine was kind enough to let me borrow his plasma cutter for the weekend. Cutting any sort of sheet metal without one is quite a CHORE.. Thanks, Tyler!

B50B31EF-4F7E-43C9-A721-A1A3B1699401-413

Made easy work of the plate..

11C9430D-9EFD-483B-864E-37F0BAB963ED-413

Installed and welded the shelves. (The weights are to keep the structure from warping while welding)

2DB73872-5742-4A0C-A75A-F0FFA2ECBF0F-413

Did some prep work and off to paint..

99A07A41-068F-418C-9734-CD610079A8E1-413

The finished product:

20F20944-DCF9-4D07-8632-9639B2433230-413
3015C525-82D6-4A2B-9FD8-D4C24C5E8582-413

I decided to let the paint dry overnight before I set anything on it. I can't wait to see it all set up!

• Like 1