Misinformation, look here to get the 411

Bob3

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. How have I never heard of the MX520 until now? I put a 1994 Miata under my '66 311, as documented here

But, when I measured my stripped down 411SSS, I concluded that the fit would be too tight. I stand corrected!!!

Really looking forward to see how this one unfolds. 

Jesse. 

I'm getting a lot of questions about the rear sub-frame.

Here's the deal;

* I only run this set-up with coil overs (Spring rates are personal preference, I would post what I run, but then I would be told I'm wrong or how someone else would do it. Figure it out yourself)

* The sub-frame itself is 10" tall

* I run it 5" to 5.5" off the ground

* Do the math, the top of the sub-frame is 15" to 15.5" off the ground at "ideal ride height". Ideal ride height for me is for optimal cornering. You could go up or down as you wish, it's on coil overs. Don't ask me how low can it go, I don't know or care. I set mine up based on years of knowledge gained racing Miatas.

* Tire size I use is 195-50-15 

* I run different wheels depending on what I want to accomplish. On this car I plan to run 15x6 with 40 offset. If you disagree or would run something else, I don't care.

I do not have the measurement from "wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface" I will get that posted soon.

Will it work for you on your car or truck? I don't know.

I hope this answers your questions.

;)

• Like 11

Bob, you are doing some awesome work here and I loved looking over that MX520 build. The first time I ever saw something like this was Chad's 620, but I honestly didn't know anything about it till I joined Ratsun. I don't get to follow much racing/drifting so seeing these projects gives me hope that I could have a weekend warrior at some point :P

With these threads I keep thinking that maybe I should try something like this with the B210, but it honestly scares me. Maybe I should just live through fellow Ratsuners till I can get more swap experience with suspension and motors.

Sit back and enjoy the ride, we are going to get to learn how to put a race wagon together, and it isn't going to cost us anything but some time reading, and I suspect that this one will go together fast, as he has already done it once before, a lot less time figuring things out.

If you have not read this thread in the link below, read it, all 50+ pages.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/7446-project-mx520-top-secret/

• Like 1

I tried a lot of different ideas on paper for putting IRS under my 411 EV... I really didn't want to cut my car, so the only thing that worked from a packaging standpoint was torsion bars. I found a rear clip from a Volkswagen 411 (which I chose not for the name, but for the unique bolt-in torsion tube setup), narrowed it a few inches to match the stock 411 rear track and bolted it to pads I had boxed onto the stock unibody "frame rails". I really wanted to mount it within a sort of space frame using the stock leaf spring mounts as my pick up points, for a truly bolt-in solution, but it was too much hassle. I got some VW torsion bars with a non-stock spring rate, and the ride is better than stock. Granted, I'm not racing this thing, but the math suggests that the dynamics better than stock, as least. 

oso_suspension_first_on_wheels_4.jpg

Jesse.