3 years later....I bought the '62 312 Bluebird Wagon...

...that was featured here:  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20831-1962-datsun-312-wagon/

and here:  http://bringatrailer.com/2010/04/17/never-seen-one-1962-datsun-312-wagon/

Original seller still has it.  I paid less than advertised, I'll pay and pick it up this weekend once he gets some paperwork sorted out on it tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm a Datsun noob, but I know a cool car when I see it.  I hope to get it back on the road (just needs a clutch master or slave cylinder, and I I suspect a carb rebuild or fuel pump). and drive it around town for a while, then decide what to do with it (sell, keep, restore, etc).

Can anyone tell me anything about it that's not obvious from a quick google?

Peace,

Chuck

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that you have an awesome wagon no matter what I say, very rare in this condition.

I only have one thing to say that is negative, that grill may have come on the car stock, but it doesn't look like the grill that is supposed to be on it, this is what I have seen in the past.

B50BeWkKGrHqYOKkYEynzuMdBMu6HsCCdg_3.jpg

Yours almost looks like a truck grill, almost.

Here is another wagon.

SANY0014.jpg

SANY0221.jpg

As I said, this is the grill I am used to seeing on the early bluebirds.

photo-46.jpg

IMG_7043-25.jpg

Yep, it was sold new in Mexico.  The seller I've gotten it from got it from the original family of owners.  He can't drive (He's not, err, well documented) and his son, who can, wants something that can go more than 60 mph.   :)

Wayno, great post, I think metalmonkey is right on the Mexico thing, but either way, I think I like the grill on my wagon a bit better, it looks more British or something.

Thanks for all the welcome's so far, I'll definitely post more pics.  Look forward to learning more about the car, and maybe getting together at a meet in Atlanta....even if it'll take me 3 hours to get there on US 41, instead of I 75....

I know for a fact that it'll need hydraulic clutch parts, can I just order MG-B master and slave cylinder rebuild kits?  What about fuel pump and carb kits, any advice there?  It's also missing a wiper arm and a rear door (inner) handle....

Thanks!

Chuck 

Edit, also, it seems to have something like plastic luggage buckles for seatbelts.  Anyone know a ready source for belts that will look somewhat stock?  Maybe something just a little later that's being reproduced?

Also, anyone have any good pictures of stock interiors?

Wayno, I'm pretty sure that car was a Mexico model originally, which is maybe why you see a difference?

I have a friend that spoke to the seller to get a little more information and that's what he told him. 

What, another Macon Ratsun member... I think I'm in shock.

We should cruise up to the old school meet next month in ATL, esp since it falls on my birthday :)

mayhaps, depends on how hard it is to get running.  Anyone have ideas on the best parts sources?

Will do.  If I only keep it a couple months, I won't do much to it, keep it a year and I might do a more original looking interior, delete that ugly radio, etc.  Mostly would keep it stock though, no engine swaps or anything crazy.

Sharp looking wagon, I like it.  What can I say, I like trucks and wagons.

Hey - If you end up selling it, give us Ratsun members a first crack - okay?

When do we get to see pictures?? 

I'll take more detailed ones when I can move it around a bit.  Poured gas in the carb (bowl) and it ran, so I think if I fix the leaky fuel line and put coolant in It'll run pretty well.  Not sure about the brakes, though.  Gonna get a puller from the 'zone tomorrow and try to get the drums off both left side brakes and see what I can find out about what parts will fit, or what can be salvaged.  The front brake isn't dragging bad, but the drum is stuck.  The rear drum wants to come, but the brakes are "on".so it won't budge.  Hopefully I can salvage the slave cylinders.  The Brake master looks pretty good, the clutch master is pretty nasty, and the clutch slave is totally blown.  The throttle cable needs a little work, it keeps slipping off the carb pulley.  Lastly (I hope) the starter is just spinning about every other time, but I'm hoping the solenoid will start freeing up with some use, didn't some of these have hand cranks?  :)

2013-02-17_12-51-31_123.jpg

2013-02-17_12-51-15_438.jpg