Neeewbie to Ratsun!

Busta Nut

Wattup Z enthusiasts!! Been lingering for a bit over a week trying to figure things out. I've had my '72 since '01 and bought it from the third owner who had it for about 14 years. Ran like shit when I bought it, but had to get one. It was the deal you couldn't pass up. Came almost completely original. Down to the factory radio manual. Few things were missing but that's to be expected. Dumped a little bit of money into it over the years just to make it a little more fun to drive. It runs ok these days. I drive like it should be driven so compression is getting a little low on a couple cylinders. Now, I'm waiting for something to give before doing the complete remodel. In the meantime, I'm turning the burner on on my 510 project. It's been sitting for almost 12 years and it is time! Just thought I'd pop in here and share some pix!

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Don't have many pix available cause they were taken with a film camera years ago. I'll be taking much more pix this weekend of the Z and 510 now that I've found Ratsun!

I'll keep this thread updated with random maintenance as time goes. Ratsun Rules!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More pix as promised!

Interior is almost 100% original

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

All the carpet and hold down straps.

IMG_0251.jpg

Carpets behind the seats

IMG_0257.jpg

Original rubber floor mats

IMG_0255.jpg

Door panels completely intact

IMG_0264.jpg

Don't know if it came from the factory, but it has the complete A/C system. Took what was in the engine out. Still have to remove the rest. Might put it back in and get it working someday.

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

Headliner, visors, and dome light. Intact and functional.

IMG_0256.jpg

In the compartments, found some tools from the late seventies and all the spare tire tools!!

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

Not sure if these Nissan wheel chalks actually came with the car from the factory, but they came with it when I acquired it!!

IMG_0263.jpg

Factory Manuals found in the glove box!

IMG_0273.jpg

The car is definitely not perfect. Here are some problem spots:

Heavy rust on drivers side.

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

Typical exhaust corrosion

IMG_0268.jpg

Corrosion got pretty bad under the trunk lid

IMG_0269.jpg

Had it parked on the street for a day and someone bumped my bar, bent it, and smashed the driver's side headlight bezel

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

First time I tried to reset the odo, it broke right off.

IMG_0275.jpg

Driver's seat is a little rough

IMG_0265.jpg

Had it parked on the street for a day and someone bumped my bar, bent it, and smashed the driver's side headlight bezel

Bastards! I think that those who park by braille deserve a fate worse than death. I feel your pain - my dd '77 sleeps on the street every day. Luckily I still have the humongo 5 mph crash bumpers, which can and frequently do absorb most anything that is thrown at them.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude that is a great find. The car did come with the wheel chocks from the factory, But the AC unit was dealer installed.

And that bad ass oil cap is one I made about 14-15 years ago. I don't know where the P.O. Picked it up but it's a pretty rare cap. I only made a hand full of them. I must have ran across the P.O. at some point and sold him that cap.

• Like 1

Oh and the rust issues are no big deal. All the areas that you took pics of MSA sells patch pieces for them. Just cut the area out and weld in new metal.

• Like 1

Dude that is a great find. The car did come with the wheel chocks from the factory, But the AC unit was dealer installed.

And that bad ass oil cap is one I made about 14-15 years ago. I don't know where the P.O. Picked it up but it's a pretty rare cap. I only made a hand full of them. I must have ran across the P.O. at some point and sold him that cap.

Actually, I bought the cap for my 510 engine when I was working on it about 12 years ago. Picked up the Z and threw the cap on it cause I wanted it in use. I love it and get commented on it all the time. If remember correctly, there was one that read "510" also. Do you still make them? I always wanted another but couldn't remember where I got it. I wanna say it was through the site "510Again".

Oh and the rust issues are no big deal. All the areas that you took pics of MSA sells patch pieces for them. Just cut the area out and weld in new metal.

That's great news! Do you know where can I find'em?

As far as the cap thing that's great that you still have it. I have a new design for the 510 cap. It's a black anodized cap then I engrave 510, Z, Or whatever you want.

Go www.zstore.com You should find what you need. Checked out your 510 thread also. Nice project there. I guess you just like to hang onto stuff.

• Like 2

As far as the cap thing that's great that you still have it. I have a new design for the 510 cap. It's a black anodized cap then I engrave 510, Z, Or whatever you want.

Go www.zstore.com You should find what you need. Checked out your 510 thread also. Nice project there. I guess you just like to hang onto stuff.

Thanx for the tip on the caps.

I hoard things that are awesome! I still have my Atari I got in 1983. Pac-man, space invaders, donkey kong. And they still work!!

is that the right website? cause when i go to it i get a bunch of anime stuff.

Got some work done on the Z this week! Wanted to straighten out my bar and clean up my bumper.

IMG_0609.jpg

This is how I rigged it.

IMG_0610.jpg

This is where it sat before I took it apart.

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

Then removed the bumper.

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

Pretty nasty

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

Had to straighten a couple things.

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

...and the polishing.

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Here's a pic of the difference between what was under the rubber and what was exposed.

IMG_0654.jpg

Before and after of one side

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

Cleaned up and back together.

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg