My 71 Rescue...

So a week ago today (May 14th, 2011) I finally got my 71 wagon from Nebraska. Link - http://community.rat...my-wagon-today/ She was the one mentioned in the "Should I buy the parts car" thread here - http://community.rat...this-parts-car/

This was her home from 1979 unitill about a month ago:

Wagon_IN_Nebrask_zpsba055f9d.jpg

Wagon_IN_Nebrask2_zps9755bf87.jpg

This is her at the new place last weekend:

2011-05-14121332_zps0e73b51a.jpg

You can see from the photos in the 1st link that its a pretty solid car. ODO shows 14k. What I was told about the car was that it was purchased in 71 and parked in 79. Based on the condition of the "wear" items like pedals and such, I think it might be original miles and it has NOT turned over.

Well on to today. I went to do some rust killing. I was really surprised with how LITTLE there really was considering its been sitting outside with no covering. Light surface rust on the roof. Front fenders show some cancer. All of it was sprayed with a rust converter/primer today.

Vacuumed the insides out. Found 2 of the missing valve cover bolts, no clue where the other 4 are(but I already replaced them). Found some more mail from 1978, a gas receipt from the '70s that shows gas @ $.34/Gallon.

Took the passenger door panel off and the hatch panel. The both have the factory "weather" guard installed:

2011-05-14112613_zps9ca77084.jpg

2011-05-14113535_zpsdd3b5d0b.jpg

2011-05-14113636_zps91c9b741.jpg

2011-05-14113711_zps217049e1.jpg

2011-05-14120554_zps1efcc912.jpg

2011-05-14113600_zps04c0ead7.jpg

2011-05-14121206_zpsc65ffd8d.jpg

2011-05-14121220_zpsf78c43e7.jpg

2011-05-14121236_zpsbfe803ed.jpg

2011-05-14124147_zps6971bdd5.jpg

2011-05-14124158_zps7a48ad77.jpg

Motor got a bath - I've never seen such a clean harness or terminal covers on ANY of the 510's I've owned:

Started with this:

2011-05-14124301_zps2fc85ed7.jpg

2011-05-14124713_zpsdaa8e254.jpg

Got This...

CleanMOTOR5_zps4e5ded16.jpg

CleanMOTOR1_zpse830fb8c.jpg

CleanMOTOR10_zpse6d3ff38.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilte I was at it I thought I would try out these new headlamps that I want to start selling. These labled "E" codes. I didnt have time to see how they worked @ night but they fit perfect.

OLD:

HeadlampsOEM2.jpg

HeadlampsOEM.jpg

NEW:

HeadlampsH4.jpg

HeadlampH4_2.jpg

HeadlampH4_3.jpg

HeadlampH4_4.jpg

Ran the jump box in place of a battery, stole the fuses out of the 69.....Signals work, dash lighs work & running lamps work. No hight beams though.

Headlamp_ON.jpg

I also yanked the front bumper off:

NO_Front_bumper.jpg

While cleaning her out today, I keps finding these pull tabs, thinking, WTF was this guy opening... Well if think I figured that out:

70_Coke_Can.jpg

I was also able to get two keys made so the door lock, just need to figure out the ignition.....

thats all for today..I'm sore as hell. Not to mention sunburnt!

It looks good from what I can see. I've been waiting over 5 min for the pictures to load and they are still loading. What's up with that?

Looks like a nice find.

I also yanked the front bumper off:

NO_Front_bumper.jpg

While cleaning her out today, I keps finding these pull tabs, thinking, WTF was this guy opening... Well if think I figured that out:

70_Coke_Can.jpg

I was also able to get two keys made so the door lock, just need to figure out the ignition.....

thats all for today..I'm sore as hell. Not to mention sunburnt!

Thats funny when i first got my wagon it was just packed!!!! with all kinds of glass soda bottle tops!!!

Bob...yeah he pics re big....but my phone loads the page in 10 seconds or less....I forgot to adjust the size when taking photos.

Jesusno2....I should taken a picture of the pile of crap I puled out. A lot was the factory pdding that had gone to shit.

Under $800 to get it here. The guy does this run every 6 months.

It was a little nerve racking. I was either going to find a diamond in the ruff...or a turd....wifes still not happy either way :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Went out to work on the 71 yesterday. I wanted to see if the motor had loosed up after soaking for a week with MMO. I was able to get the motor to spin. Probably the 1st time its been truned over since it was parked in 1979.

Now its on to removing the Carb and either rebuilding it or replacing it...its a little, um clogged...

Lost the photos of it clogged with rat poop.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the carb off to the shop this weekend for a rebuild. throttle plates are stuck shut. I could not get all the mouse crap out of it. Told the carb shop to wear gloves and maybe a mask....

CARB3.jpg

CARB4.jpg

CARB5.jpg

CARB6.jpg

CARB7.jpg

CARB8.jpg

CARB9.jpg

CARB10.jpg

CARB11.jpg

Nice find, i'd just toss that factory carb though & put a 32/36 webber on there & call it good.

Thought about it. cheaper for me to have the OEM one rebuilt right now. I just want to hear her run.

fuckin' HUGE oics. lord almighty.

I tried =)

Yeah..fixed it towards the end. They resize smaller, just gotta wait.

i would be so anxious to get this going

you have no idea....if she fires up then its off to find a drive shaft.