1972 Datsun 510

Denken

Ok All,

I recently acquired a 1972 Datsun 510 from Waco TX. By I, I mean I had family go pick up the car and take it back home as I am in school in Denver CO. So now i am starting a build thread because the intent is to do a ka24de swap. I will post pictures (crappy cell phone pictures), the only ones i have and as soon as i can get more they will be added. However, what i need from the people here is info to do a swap and the parts I should be looking to acquire. I would like to create a parts list so i can start buying a part here and there so I can get everything rolling over thanksgiving/Christmas break.

I am in discussion with someone concering some parts he has which i will list below.

Parts: 1971 Datsun 510 body= fenders, unibody, doors, cut hood, deck lid, all glass minus windshield. glass has been packed and stored appropriatly. unibody has had rust cut out and not replaced yet.

suspension/subframe= all in orig condition. rear subframe a=arms, hubs minus bearings, rear disc brake upgrade kit, mustasche bar, 04 subaru forrester r-160 LSD

direct bolt on with 510 stub axles and half shafts. driveshaft. front subframe that has had mounts removed for ka-24de mounts to be installed. 1 front lower control arm, steering

box, center link and tie rods. no front hubs or brake set up, i do have a nice set of stainless steel brake lines for it though.

15x8 sport max graphite wheels with chrome lip. tires are toast. 1 Nissan Ka24de that needs a rebuild and an E motor that also needs to be gone through. ka e motor

wiring harness and seats. various sensors, switches and what not. Also new larger diameter sway bar with endlinks. 4 point roll bar, main hoop with b pillar down bars(bolt in or weld)also factory headlights and tail lights, some emblems and such, steering column and pedal assembly.

So these parts can be obtained sooner than later so which of these should I attempt to grab? Then what other parts should I be looking for/saving for? I think i will want to add a turbo a little later. Offer up suggestions based on experience and second hand knowledge.

Thanks all!

-Denk

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dato%20Photo.jpg

dato%20photo%202.jpg

There is only surface rust and some light body damage. Thats step one for repair. Also dont have any pictures of that just yet.

Ok, So the light body damage = this carnage!

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

So is this worth fixing? It looks like it needs a rear passenger skin, rear and front valance, and i am not sure what or if the tail light part is considered part of the rear valence or called something else, but it needs this as well. Also the floor boards driver and passenger are rusted through as well as the trunk (spare tire).

So lets have the truth, is it a keeper or a squash-er. RIght now i am in it less than 1k with shipping. The only positive perk seems to be the one owner aspect.

Pm me if you have these body parts and perhaps we can make arrangements.

-Denk

put her on jack stands and check for cancer, since you're gonna do a tear down this is the best time to check for this. find out which panels are done for and replace them. check the steering rack and replace the ball joints and end links, also check for slop on the steering box. replace the bushings as needed prob all of them. i don't know how deep of a tear down ur gonna do but this pretty much the basic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Still working on getting those panels and parts then will have body fixxed :S so we will see how it works out.

-Denk

well dont scrap it.....fix it up ...if you havent had one , your gonna love it.....as for parts i dont really have any body panels left.....the ol parts car has just bout met his maker.....

Yah if by working you mean it is sitting in a garage back home with me trying to get someone to send me parts :blink:

I contacted a body shop he said he might be able to save rear quarter :D but rear valence is shot! Will have more information as soon as i can get him some more pictures.

Also a few people have told me to keep it white. Why is that?

-Denk

glad to see your still working on this man :cool:

• 2 months later...

So I thought i would update.

Car sits pretty much as pictured. Body panels have been hard to find, someone to do any metal/body work is even harder to find. It is totally frustrating to have the car and not be able to drive it. I dont know how to do body work so i have contacted a few local body shops first one told me to crush it. the second told me:

"All I can say is save your money.....the quarter is not going to be repairable, and you are dealing with an apparent rust issue in a great majority of the car. I would say anywhere from 3000 upwards to 5000......"

So yeah, this is where i sit. Got a 510, have had a 510, and cant do a damn thing with it.

Ideas/Suggestions?

-Denk

So I thought i would update.

Car sits pretty much as pictured. Body panels have been hard to find, someone to do any metal/body work is even harder to find. It is totally frustrating to have the car and not be able to drive it. I dont know how to do body work so i have contacted a few local body shops first one told me to crush it. the second told me:

"All I can say is save your money.....the quarter is not going to be repairable, and you are dealing with an apparent rust issue in a great majority of the car. I would say anywhere from 3000 upwards to 5000......"

So yeah, this is where i sit. Got a 510, have had a 510, and cant do a damn thing with it.

Ideas/Suggestions?

-Denk

I'll take it off your hands. How much do you want? I'll trade you for my 1967 411 Datsun Wagon. I'll pick it up this weekend. Shoot me a pm.

Bob