Jump to content


MaxChlan

Member Since 13 Aug 2016
Offline Last Active Today, 03:10 PM
-----

Posts I've Made

In Topic: Max's 1986 Nissan 720 King Cab 4x4

Today, 08:20 AM

Update: Fixed! Exactly ten inches of 7/8ths heavy duty hose did the trick. 


In Topic: Oops, I did it again!

Today, 08:18 AM

You make a truck payment one way or the other. Be it $$$ or working/thinking on it.

Love that engine bay. Painted block, Weber, Pacesetter headers, and a (Z22?) head. 


In Topic: Oops, I did it again!

Yesterday, 04:50 PM

For some reason, I just couldn't resist the temptation to use that damn pewter GM block paint on the bolt heads... must be a phase...

Your guide to doing any repair or restoration:

 

Step 1: Apply pewter GM block paint

Step 2: Done

:rofl:

 

It looks really good though! Nice job!  :thumbup:


In Topic: Max's 1986 Nissan 720 King Cab 4x4

Yesterday, 06:32 AM

You know how when you replace components that are under pressure, the next weakest link fails? I should have learned when I replaced the clutch, then the slave, and then the master in the span of three weeks, but nooooooooo:

 

JXWRIBH.jpg

 

 

After my radiator job, a hose started leaking, and it is probably the hardest one to get to. Where the lower radiator hose meets the block, there is another hose that takes a 90 out of the block and goes to under the intake manifold. I'm pretty sure it is a feed hose for the heater core, and it is approximately 10 or so inches in length. Thankfully there is already a post out there for this, so I will just follow what is on there for the replacement. For those that like OEM, I think the part is 92422M on this diagram, which is found under the heater section on the Nissan Parts USA website:

 

JRkbNo6.png

 

Fun fun fun


In Topic: Max's 1986 Nissan 720 King Cab 4x4

17 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

Today I replaced the radiator, hoses, and thermostat in the truck. It was my first time doing it, so I struggled with getting certain parts off. All of the screws (why not use bolts?) that held the the fan shroud into place were rusty, and pretty hard to crack open with the small screw driver needed to even reach them. Of course, one of the lower screws was completely seized, and after lots of penetrating fluid and patience, it stripped out, so I had to get a M18 drill in there to drill it out, which was fairly annoying. Once the shroud unattached, I had a fun time getting it out without cracking it more (mine is already broken on the bottom from what seems to be the install of the radiator I was taking out). Once the shroud was out though, getting to the bolts for the radiator wasn't to bad. I had to do some funky extension combinations to get just the right length to work the ratchet, but I got it out. I thought it was irritating that the drain cock did not have a proper place to drain out, and just kind of leaked over a cross-member (with the skid plate removed, of course). The hoses were OEM Nissan and were a pain in the ass to get off, but after a few bloody knuckles those were gone too. They were completely filled with a film of corrosion, so obviously I did not reuse them. With the radiator out of the truck, I did a quick comparison of the two radiators to comfirm that they were mostly the same: 

 

ZhVKCxG.jpg

 

A quick look down the radiator confirmed that this shit was rusty as hell:

 

UlusrK4.jpg

 

Once I removed the water outlet, I had to take a pliers and haul the old thermostat out from its crusty tomb:

 

xRfSF9w.jpg

 

I failed to get any meaningful pictures of the rest, but everything went together fairly easily, except for the new thermostat, which would not sit still to tighten down the new gasket. I had to hold it up with my fingers while hand tightening the bolts and then tightening them with a ratchet to get it to sit in the correct position inside the groove. 

 

The hoses I used were from Amazon and Autozone:

 

Lower Hose: https://www.amazon.c...r radiator hose

 

Upper Hose: http://www.autozone....3_0_10495_3918\

 

Gasket: http://www.autozone....t/68313_0_15298

 

The Upper hose was mostly the same as the OEM hose, but slightly longer on the end that goes into the water outlet. That was actually a good thing, and made it go on easier. As for the lower hose, it was a bit different from the OEM one, and had to kink slightly on the radiator side to fit. Once it was hot however, that kink went away. I would try a different one if I had to do it over again. The end result was the same however, and I am fairly happy with how it turned out. I ended up leaving the fan shroud off, because the screws would not fit in the new radiator. I might install it at some point, but I kind of like not having that bit of plastic in the way:

 

4Hd4QQq.jpg

 

0QvXUuB.jpg