This is the pipe mismatch with the exhaust pipe from the 720 truck that the engine came out of, looking up.
This is from the side.
The down pipe was too low, I put a jack under the 720 down pipe to bend it up.
I used an old main bearing cap to push the pipe up.
I had a 2 inch 90 degree mandrel bend, after deciding it would be easier to use it, I tack welded it to the 720 down pipe, bolted on the L-20-B engine. This is looking from the side.
The straight piece of pipe is not welded to the flange I made on Saturday, I bolted the made flange to the existing exhaust pipe to check alignment. Good alignment, looking up.
New pipe elbow tacked to old 720 down pipe. It ended up too high.
I had to grind out three tacks on the elbow to down pipe, and bend it down slightly.
This is how I adjusted the location of the pipe.
With that done, I could cut a new piece of straight pipe to go between the elbow and the existing exhaust system.
I am preparing to weld the straight pipe to the new flange.
This is a tack weld joining the straight pipe, and the new elbow.
Tack weld on flange, on one side
Tack welds on flange the other side.
With the downpipe tack welded, I removed it, and welded the flange, straight piece of pipe, the elbow, and the exhaust manifold connection together. Then grind the welds off, and put it back on the truck.
Other side of the down pipe.
With the downpipe in place, it looked a little too close to the speedometer cable.
I took the transmission end of the speedometer cable off, cleaned the cable, and rerouted the cable outside of the steering column.
With Ratsun getting close to running and driving again, It was time to take all the stuff out of the bed of Ratsun. This is the second L-20-B Engine I got in March. I put a four speed 521 transmission on it, put a starter on it, and then bolted it to the engine test stand I built. Sometime I will do a compression check on this engine, and see what it needs to be a running engine again. I then set the L-20-b engine and trans on the pallet.
I was thinking that I could also put the L-18 engine I pulled out of Ratsun and a transmission on the same pallet.
I used a fork lift attachment on the tractor to move them both. That did not work. It made the tractor do wheelies.
I ended up putting the L-18 engine and dogleg transmission back into the bed of Ratsun, along with the five speed 720 transmission. I had to go to work that evening.
- Charlie69 likes this