So its been a few months since I've updated this thread. Not much was happening with the truck up until the last weekend.
I started with removing the valve cover to expose the head bolts and valve train. With 90,000 miles I wanted to re-torque the heads per everyone's recommendation. I then moved on to setting the valve lash on all valves. I finished up the night by changing the oil, using the highly recommended Delo. I don't know if it is the oil or the valve lash adjustment or both, but WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I had a fairly loud ticking and it is completely gone, the motor is very quiet now.
The next day, I decided to attempt messing with the manual steering box adjustment to see how it would affect the steering wheel play and shake I was getting. Well with just a quarter turn the play is pretty much gone. The steering is nice and tight and I believe it may have resolved the shake as well, but I haven't gotten to really get it up to speed to check that. Again another huge difference in performance with a little adjustment.
We then started on the lowering process by degreasing the undercarriage to get it a little cleaner before taking it apart. My middle son, who was my helper all weekend, and I then disassembled the rear suspension, did some wire brushing, some painting, and then installing of the bell tech 3" blocks. I was supposed to receive tires for my 17" Titans on Monday but one of the tires came in defective, so for now we haven't lowered the truck back on the ground to see how it looks. Tires should be in by the weekend so we can then turn our attention to the front suspension. Some pictures
(still trying to figure out picture hosting...because of the photo bucket fail)
- Crytek89 likes this