ca18det in by bee, oh yah!

b210in

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best 120y iv seen, good job bloke:D

thanks mate. you know, the inspiration for this project came from you aussi guys. in australia this swap is really common. there are a lot of 120y's with ca18det's in them. i have always like the b210 fastback body style. one day i was searching the internet and came across the turbophile website and saw all those cool 120y's with ca18dets i immeidiately wanted one.

this swap is unheard of here in the states. too date, i don't know of anyone here in the u.s. that has done one.

• 3 months later...

update to nonsense.

well, i have been through hell trying to get my custom manifold from this asshole. http:// forcedairresearch.tripod.com/ this started in july and it''s september and i still have no manifold. i have already paid this guy and still no manifold. at this point i have decided to give up on this guy and start new and to hell with the money i sent him. i live in california and his shop is in wisconsin. i figure with the money i spend on the flight to go over there and kick his ass, i could just have new manifold built.

what's worse is that everytime i called him, he would call me back in a few days and tell me that he sent the manifold. i would give him a week to see if the manifold would arrive and still no manifold. this guys's name is robert.

at times i asked him if he was goiing to rip me off and he always stated no. i would also tell him that i did not bother me that he needed more time to build the manifold, but it did piss me off that he keeps saying he;s going to send it and has not sent it.

i got so fucking depressed over this. in this economy and with my wife not working, losing my money just killed me and set my project back more.

i have however, finished everything i could possibly do to the car without the manifold.

so the moral of this story is, if you're going to get fucked get some lube cause it hurts. no i'm kidding. i don't know if there is a moral to this story, other than it sucks.

one positive outcome is that while i was waiting for the manifold, i did extensive research on how to build one for myself. so this is the way i'm going now.

Edited by b210in

by the way, yes i will be bashing this asshole on the internet and every forum that i'm a member of.

if any of you are members of other forums and you want to pass the word out on this prick, please feel free to link it up.

oh, and i forgot to mention that i sent him the original turbo manifold so that he can copy the exhaust flange. so now my stock manifold is gone. the business also goes by russ's auto repair, or ram air.

Looking very sick!! I love the CA18DET. I have one in peices that I am trying to figure out what to do with. I am thinking I am going to put it in an offroad truck. I have too much invested in the motor now to not use it. (Fully forged bottom end)

Your setup is very very nice, Everyone bags on the CA over the SR, but they each have their great points. I can't wait to see this thing in action!!

• 2 weeks later...
Nice Job on that swap, its turning out beautiful.

If I had the money I would say "Mine Next"....ah well, I will just keep enjoying the little A15.

Oops, Edit again.

Can we get some pics of the mounts for the seats, be very grateful.

i will shoot some pics for you this weekend, very simple to install.

Edited by b210in
update to nonsense.

well, i have been through hell trying to get my custom manifold from this asshole. http:// forcedairresearch.tripod.com/ this started in july and it''s september and i still have no manifold. i have already paid this guy and still no manifold. at this point i have decided to give up on this guy and start new and to hell with the money i sent him. i live in california and his shop is in wisconsin. i figure with the money i spend on the flight to go over there and kick his ass, i could just have new manifold built.

what's worse is that everytime i called him, he would call me back in a few days and tell me that he sent the manifold. i would give him a week to see if the manifold would arrive and still no manifold. this guys's name is robert.

at times i asked him if he was goiing to rip me off and he always stated no. i would also tell him that i did not bother me that he needed more time to build the manifold, but it did piss me off that he keeps saying he;s going to send it and has not sent it.

i got so fucking depressed over this. in this economy and with my wife not working, losing my money just killed me and set my project back more.

i have however, finished everything i could possibly do to the car without the manifold.

so the moral of this story is, if you're going to get fucked get some lube cause it hurts. no i'm kidding. i don't know if there is a moral to this story, other than it sucks.

one positive outcome is that while i was waiting for the manifold, i did extensive research on how to build one for myself. so this is the way i'm going now.

i take it all back. the guy sent me my new custom manifold, and my old one, and a letter of apology. i'm just glad it's all over and i can continue with my project.

once again, i take back what i said about robert and his company. thannk you, i will post pics tommorow with the new manifold and the turbo mocked up.

100_7242.jpg

here is the manifold. note the three inch v band adapter from himni racing. those who are paying attention will note that the turbo now sits between cylinders one and two as opposed from 3 and 4. i really wanted the turbo to be about one inch higher but this manifold will have to do for now. i'm lucky i got the manifold at all. having the manifold lower that what i ordered, a new slight problem developed. i will have to notch the down pipe a little bit to get it to fit.

100_7239.jpg

100_7237.jpg

in this picture you can see that the exhaust pipe is really going to come close to the steering box. this is where the notch will have to be. i'm going to run a three inch exhaust.

100_7236.jpg

the overall position and fitment of the manifold is decent for now. right now i'm waiting on a v band and clamp, O 2 bungs, and a t25 two inch inlet adapter, so i can start on the exhaust. well that's for now.

So is that the manifold you waited forever to get? I'm glad you got going on it again.

ya. thats the manifold. i am going to get it sand blasted to remove that ugly turquoise paint and have in the inside runners clean as well.

lol. yah, from the pics it looks like would totally fit. the first problem i ran into was the master cylinder clearance. with the top mount manifold it would have put the hot side of the turbo about 1/4 inch away from the plastic container in the master cylinder. this could be easily fixed by removing the power brake booster and moving the master cylinder back, but i would lose power brakes, which i did not want to do. yet another way to fix this problem would have been to run 2 1/2 to 3 inch spacer to lift the turbo up a little bit to keep it away from the master cylinder. this would have place the turbo up a little higher but then i would run into the next problem.

the other problem is that there would not be enough room behind the turbo to clear a three inch exhaust pipe. the distance from runner number four on the top monifold to the fire wall is about 2 3/4 inches. if i moved the exhaust pipe more the left it i would have been about half an inch from the brake booster. to some it's plenty of clearance, but for a daily driver, i think the extra heat on the booster might cuase problems down the road.

i agree on the studs. i used those bolts to do my fisrt mock up. when the manifold arrived i ran out to my car to shoot the picks and just look at it.

i'm not entirely satisfied with the quality of the manifold. the welds don't look the prettiest, but like i said before, i'm lucky i got anything at all.

Ah, sorry to have doubted :D

You could try grinding the welds down a little bit and painting it a color that hides imperfections instead of showing them off. That color just so happens to like accent those semi messy welds. You could heat wrap it too, keep those temps down, cover them right up and it looks cool imho.

hey guys i need some advice. i originally was going to run a 16 inch electric fan that is currently in my truck, but my truck really needs it.

can you guys recommend some electric fans that i can pull from the junkyard? i would prefer two small ones to one big one, but whatever is effecient will do. over on pirate4x4.com, all those guys swear up and down that ford taurus or lincoln fans are really good, but these fans are a little too big to fit in my car. small and efficient is what i'm looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

cash is in the project so far

1500 used tranny, engine, ecu, etc.

108 poly motor and tranny mounts.

10 48" long piece of steel

85 25' welding extension cord

12 tranny shifter gasket

5 four relays and some volvo intercooler piping

200 custom turbo manifold

15 8' of power cable

107 turbo three inch v band adapter

95 ebay intercooler

176 fuel pump, fan on off harness and sender, 8' three inch exhaust tubing

10 electrical connections and some wire

36 ebay muffler

5 240 sx throttle cable used

27 sunpro boost gage

43 two turbo reducers and four band clamps

104 O2 bungs, t-25 2" inlet adapter, 1 v band clamp three inch

total 2538

i still need to get

all fluids, filters,

custom cut drive shaft

blow of valve

gauge pod

new turbo studs

custom stainless steel intercooler piping

custom bendable radiator hose.

about another 500 bucks, coming on the oct. 10 paycheck.

Edited by b210in