ca18det in by bee, oh yah!

b210in

here are the mckinney motor and tranny mounts. polyurathane all the way. the tranny mount bolts right on to the ca tranny with no mods, i will have to fabricate a new tranny mount, which i expected. the tranny mount below is the stock ca mount.

100_6244.jpg

here's the ca tranny next to a series four speed tranny

100_6248.jpg

the first engine mock up revealed that the stock motor mount towers were useless for the new engine. they were to much inward so new engine mount hardware will have to be fabbed up. i will be making new brakets and then reinforce the whole cross memeber.

100_6247.jpg

100_6250.jpg

here the engine is partially dissassembled and ready for the second drop into the engine bay.

100_6245.jpg

ah, here's the meat and potatos, when i first dropped it in there i did not want to pull it out. the engine looks like it totally belongs there.

100_6252.jpg

in this picture you can see that theres no way the stock exhaust manifold can you used. it would hit the steering box. it doesn't really matter. i will be putting in a custom log style manifold pretty soon. another problem but not really a big one is that i will not be able to use the stock ca fan and fan clutch. oh well, time to bust out an electric fan, a little more power. another snag that you can't really see from the picture is that onece the new log style manifold goes in it will be in the location of where the air cond. compressor use to be, so i won't be able to run my ac for now.

so which would you choose, turbo or ac compressor? yah, like there's a choice.

100_6253.jpg

well that's it for now. it's going to rain tomorrow so no more wrench time till next week, DAMMMMMMMMMMM

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The engine looks kinda low, or is it just the photo? Don't forget about ground clearance :D Is the tranny going to fit the tunnel? I always forget how much bigger the C trannys are!!

• 2 weeks later...

amazingly, the tranny fits very well in the stock tunnel. i cut a small rectangular piece of steel from where the stock shifter hole use to be and that's it. this moved the ca shifter about four inches back. i will also have to move the e brake handle back two or three inches, not really a big deal. the tranny has an inch to 1/2 inch all around of clearance in the tunnel.

a lot of the aussie guys swore up and down that i will have to chop up the tunnel to get it to fit. maybe U.S. bound b210's came with different tunnels, who knows and who cares.

the motor mounts are also done and need to be welded to the cross member. i have an inch and a quarter from the firewall to the cam covers, plenty of room to get a hand in there in case you need to wrench. i might push it back a little more, we'll see. there's also plenty of clearance between the oil pan and the steerig arm, about a quarter of inch on a full turn of the steering wheel.

the battery is going to have to the back. i'll will need to run intercooler piping through where the battery is now.

i'm also debating if i should get the manifold in stainless steel or just plain steel. it's about double the price.

i'll post pics of this tonight.

i have the daunting (sarcasm) task now of trying to find a nice size front mount intercooler. i thinking about this size for right now, eight by thrity with a twenty inch core and center inlets and outlets.

i just noticed somthing about the cross member after you got rid of the mounts for the a series it looked just like the cross member in my 610 it seems the a series mounts were more of an after thought and they never made an a series specific cross member

anyway yeah we need pics

• 1 month later...

update;

the engine and tranny are in for last time, (fingers crossed)

i'm currently waiting on the manifold to arrive. the first manifold i recieved had the exhaust flange welded upside down and put the turbo out on top. this process took a month to do. i sent it back and the builder is going to eat the shipping cost and fix it for free, but now i have to wait another three weeks. oh well......

in the mean time, i'm pretty much done with everything else. the radiator is finally in and right now i debating wether to put two ten inch fans or one fourteen inch fan. i also decided not to use the sciorrco radiator bacuse of it's small size and the fact the bakersfield gets really hot in the summer and i did not want to over heat since i love cruising in the hot summer nights. i ended up putting in my vets of radiator which is plenty stout for this little four cylinder. the dimensions are 27 inches by 19 inches with one inch crossflow rows. it made the engine compart really tight now.

the battery is in the back now, i used about 9 feet of four gauge power cable and one fat ground to the body. from the body, two grounds going to the engine.

the radio is now moved to the left side of the steering wheel.

the ecu and harness are already installed. the hole in the tranny tunnel has been covered with a nice little cover i fabbed up.

the vacuum secondary butterfy canister and all of the lines going to it are installed.

the heater and heater waterlines are installed, so i will have a heater in the winter. you definately need this in the winter here in bakersfield. i removed all the stock a/c accessories. (this was really painful to do, but oh well)

the hydraulic clutch pedal is hooked up and ready to shift.

while the car was in the air, i put in new struts and un cut b 210 springs. i will be cutting them again as soon as all the entire engine swap is done to compensate for the new weight on the front end.

right now i have started to tackle the electrical connections to the ecu and alternator. since i have some time to wait. i can't really do anything else until i get the intercooler, (which is also on the way), fuel pump, and turbo log manifold. this is what sucks the most about this project, the waiting to catch up on paychecks and parts, i'm sure you guys know what i'm talking about.

the starter is also in. i'll post some more pics this weekend.

Edited by b210in
  • 3 weeks later...

ok DRIVEN, here you go

100_6750.jpg

these seats are from a 95 eclipse. they are a bolt in affair, with drilling of three holes. the seats are not that bad as in the pic, they are really in pretty good shape. coincidentally, by using the left front bolt hole, the seat is perfectly positioned. these seats are way better than sitting on the stock b210 springs. check out where i put my ecu and stereo. i also drilled out and re used the stock 4 speed shifter knob.

100_6786.jpg

you can't really tell from this pic but the eclipse seats are actually about an inch lower than the stock seats, which is what i wanted since the stock seats sit a little too high for my taste. the seat backs are a little higher than the stock seats however. in this pic you can also see where i'm going to mount the turbo boost gauge (where the fasten seat belts sign use to be), right now im using an old oil pressure switch as a template, the manual boost controller will go right next to it.

100_6789.jpg

i'm still waiting on the manifold. but everything else is pretty much done. this weekend i will be installing a 16'" 2500cfm fan. i reused the stock intake elbow with about four inches trimmed. i put all of my relays into the stock ca18det relay box that came with engine set. also note the stock 240sx throttle cable. i drilled out the stock hole where the old b210 stock throttle cable use to come out of, to fit the cable in and drilled two small little holes to put some screws in and hold the new throttle cable in. i slightly bent the stock gas pedal and bam we got full throttle action. super easy to do. i tucked up some of the wires in the custom radiator shroud i built.

100_6784.jpg

100_6783.jpg

ok, here's the money shot. the intercooler is 28 x 7 x 2.5 inlet outlet. i covered the ends with tape so that no debri would get in there. i'm also working on getting rid of the turn signals and i will be putting in two hks style filters that will ram air feed the turbo in those holes (these holes are a whopping fiive inches in diameter!) i'm waiting on the silicone reducers, t bolt clamps, and polished aluminum piping, when that is in it will completely cover the big voids on both sides of the intercooler. it will look like it was meant to be there.

Looks like it was born there. I'm surprised where the shifter comes up. At first glance with the engine set on the ground (like on eBay ads) it seems like they would be further back. Yours looks perfect.

you know, i never really liked the placement on how far forward the stock b210 shifter was. from the stock location, it's moved back about five inches, which is perfect for me. also, while it's not really a big deal, when the tranny is in second or fourth, the e brake hits the shifter ball a little bit. not really ideal for drifting so i will either get a new ebrake handle or move the stock handle back another two inches.

you know, i never really liked the placement on how far forward the stock b210 shifter was. from the stock location, it's moved back about five inches, which is perfect for me. also, while it's not really a big deal, when the tranny is in second or fourth, the e brake hits the shifter ball a little bit. not really ideal for drifting so i will either get a new ebrake handle or move the stock handle back another two inches.

get a short shift for the ca, it should make the throws shorter so it wont hit the e brake in second

get a short shift for the ca, it should make the throws shorter so it wont hit the e brake in second

hey that's a great idea. i forgot b and m makes a short throw shifter for this tranny. good lookin out.