ca18det in by bee, oh yah!

b210in

well i finally found a good low mileage engine for my bee and decided to take the plunge. i bought the engine from jhot imports on ebay, and the total came out to 1500 with shipping. this included, complete engine set, intercooler, fuel pump, down pipe, relay box, etc. etc. anyway, today the engine arrived and i spent the day taking the little a13 and tranny out. here are some teaser pics for now. this saturday i will begin to test fit, cut and chop. here's what the car looks like now before if dismantled it. sorry about the lousy pics, my wife took them.

100_6138_00.jpg

engine out

100_6184.jpg

100_6183.jpg

ah, the ca

100_6158.jpg

100_6164.jpg

right off the bat, i'm thinking that the turbo is going to hit the steering box. here are some solutions, use the current exhaust manifold and move the turbo with some kind of j pipe, get a top mount manifold, or remove the steering box and put in a rack and pinion. i'm not sure which way to go.

the current cross member will need to be cut up and reshaped, and i will have to lose the front sway bar until i get one from mad dat that is made specifically for this swap.

when i make more progress this weekend i will post more (better) pics

if any of you got any suggestions or tips please post.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of you got any suggestions or tips please post.

You asked for it :D I've done enough swaps where I forget about some of them :D These are all things that I would do if I was installing the CA.

First I wouldn't mess with the X member, all it will do is add an expensive sway bar, and a front sump engine (sucky for being low) Why not build your own pan? Thats what I would do. Instead of pulling the engine in and out just pull the pan, build the engine mounts where you want, then pull the x member and build it with the engine on a stand. Of coarse making sure there is a nice layer of something blocking the metal shavings form all the moving bits.

I also wouldn't mess with a J pipe, yea the work and all.... Why not spend a little extra time and make a nice log manifold? That way there is less places for the exhaust to spring leaks. You will find out more about exhaust leaks when you get the engine in.

I guess my biggest piece of advice is take your time, spend the money do it once.

I think when you get her done it will be one bad ass rig!!!

do as icehouse says lol and when your done sell it to me :lol: this is what i like to see an under loved datsun getting the attention and fame it deserves i almost bought a 77 b-210 with a mustang 2 v6 stuffed in it but i decided that making it pass smog would be a bitch lol

That car is on it's way from bad-ass to perfect! I'll be watching the process closely so document everything for me. LOTS of pics please.

Ice, you're making me nervous. That's the swap I was planning for my wife's 510 wagon, then learning from that swap and putting one in my 1200. I kinda have a CA fetish--they look like stubby RB's and I've heard many good things about them. You've done lots of swaps, so tell me...is this a tough swap?

Done yet?

no, not yet. i will post some progress pics on saturday. so, i have pretty m;uch taken the lower harness and main harness off the engine. i have also removed the exhaust manifold and turbo and have begun positioning the engine near the car. i have run into a small snag.

i was planning on using both the stock motor mounts that came with the engine set, but the right motor mount is messed up. so now, i have to wait till my mckinney motorsports poly mounts arrive before i can move forward again.

i also decided to take ice house's advice and build a log style manifold. it's the best solution. but i have to wait till the engine is bolted in so that i can carefully position the turbo exactly where i want it. i am also debating if i should keep the ac, which will also affect the permanent position of the turbo. i have also been doing some mad research on the vacuum hose diagrams for the secondary butterfly system and wastegate control.

so much to do but not enough time to do it.

the last thing, i was planning on thrashing on the car till it ran, but after hearing ice house, he made a really good point.

TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's exactly what i plan to do. i think about this swap night and day. i want to be boostin already.

Ice, you're making me nervous. That's the swap I was planning for my wife's 510 wagon, then learning from that swap and putting one in my 1200. I kinda have a CA fetish--they look like stubby RB's and I've heard many good things about them. You've done lots of swaps, so tell me...is this a tough swap?

Dude it will be cake for you and your bro! You guys have the talent and skills thats for sure. I just always advice to go the extra mile in the beginning instead of back tracking later. There are always multiple ways to do things, I just try to do it the way I think it will last and work the best at a very low ride height :D

2eDeYe;133387'']There's always something you would do different...even after you do it different...:blink:

Exactly Steve :D I think it's good though, if we didn't see better ways we wouldn't evolve as much as we do.

I also decided to take ice house's advice and build a log style manifold. it's the best solution. but i have to wait till the engine is bolted in so that i can carefully position the turbo exactly where i want it. i am also debating if i should keep the ac, which will also affect the permanent position of the turbo. i have also been doing some mad research on the vacuum hose diagrams for the secondary butterfly system and wastegate control.

so much to do but not enough time to do it.

the last thing, i was planning on thrashing on the car till it ran, but after hearing ice house, he made a really good point.

TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's exactly what i plan to do. i think about this swap night and day. i want to be boostin already.

Good :D I'm just try and pass along all the stuff I have learned. One day I will do an engine swap I'm proud of :D

2 Things.

1) There is a company in Australia that makes a Kit to fit the CA18 motors to the 120Y/B210's.

2) If that is a 5-Speed, feel free to inquire as to my shipping address.:D

Fitting kits are good for people without welders, I myself would rather build it myself. I'm actually glad datto's aren't as popular as Honda's in the aftermarket scene, I wouldn't have learned as much as I have.

I just like Pulsar engines :D haha

Nice setup though.

I like the optional 2x4 engine mounts :D

Fitting kits are good for people without welders, I myself would rather build it myself. I'm actually glad datto's aren't as popular as Honda's in the aftermarket scene, I wouldn't have learned as much as I have.

Fuckin-A +1 to that.

i recommend stock boost--until you get used to it ;)

i agree with you, for right now i will be using everything stock except maybe for a front mounted intercooler and a three inch exhaust. i'm going three inch because i have a lot of let over three inch mandrel bends and tubing from a previous project.

Idk how it is on the west side but here 1000cash takes a full set.

I just noticed the starter location. Please don't ever have to change that while it's int he car lol.

100_6164.jpg

You could always have the turbo outlet relocated on the stock manifold.

20711340003large.jpg

w575.png

A Tial wastegate is used in the stock turbo outlet, goes right over the steering box in the 510.

tialwastegate.jpg

w640.png

I have actually seen some pretty cool older Datsun setups in the south valley( central California), a built RB 25 with a real TO4S turbo in a 510 and a friends LS1 /T56 in a 240z.

i paid 1500 for the whole set up. yah, i know it's a little pricey but i held out for a good quality confirmed low mileage engine with all the timmings. for example, i got along with the entire engine set, the lower harness, the seconday butterfly vacuum canister with untouched lines, whole drive shaft, fuel pump, all the cold and hot piping, intercooler, and a good turbo. i know could have gotten the whole set up in L.A. for about a 1000, but you are litterally buying an engine that has been sitting for a while or who knows what. everytime i found a ca18det in L.A. i would go and check it out and then do extensive research on the internet as far as their customer service and the quality of thier product. i checked out several CA18det's in LA, but i never saw one that was complete or in the condition then the one i have. i got this engine from

J HOt imports, i have not found one single negative comment about these guys yet. they also have a reputation for giving you the actual mileage of the engine and not some bogus estimate like 30 to 40 thousand miles. i also wanted to pay a little more so that i could get a good engine. trying to find an engine set this old and in good condition is getting harder and harder. if you spend a little more in the first place, you will be better off in the end.

blah, long rant

i feel real good about this engine. the turbo is in absolute mint condition, i removed the cam covers and their isn't a spot of gunk to be seen and it smells great, not like burnt oil.

510six, great idea

hey charlie, i was wondering what happened to you.

Edited by b210in