Project DIY: 1971 Datsun 521

Madness

Just some welding and grinding in between work. I should come by, If I can ever get the hell out of this effin shop.

You know, I really hope my measurements were correct and the cab clears the Z without any problems..... :blink:

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Thought I would give you guys a little update although I'm sure everyone has forgotten about my little pickup :P

During new years the shop decided to throw a party so everyone kinda threw their trucks together so it didn't look like piles of parts everywhere and thats how my truck has been sitting since. Tonight I pulled out the buffer and spent a few hours on the 39 year old paint. For as old as it is, it still comes out with a little shine.

100_1264-1.jpg

100_1262-1.jpg

Its a safe bet that the datto is getting most of my tax return and I'm hoping to get the motor parts up to the machine shop sometime this week so I can start assembly soon. I'm still shooting for summer to drive the truck but at this point I'm not sure if its going to be bagged. However it will be linked. I want to drive it to at least one "Golden super cruise" this summer.

Hopefully I'll be posting an update soon!

Bart

There is a slight possibility that ill be able to make it to canby. Im going to thow a list together tonight of everything i need to get her running and driving. Again bagging it probably wont be on that list but whatever gets it going!

The cab sat on the frame exactly where i wanted it to. I guess all my measurements were better than i thought.

Thats so cool when it works out like you hoped it would! :rolleyes: Hey...speaking of cruising this summer...did you hear that they are going to be having 2 a month now? I heard from some Rod guys that it's going to be the first and second Saturdays now. :cool:

There's nothing on their website about it but it would be a good idea to cut down on the ammount of cars up there. I think the last time i was up there it was a final count of about 2000. And probably about 4 times that many people.

Next I need to talk Bob out of one of the windshields he's holding on to :P

if i ever get arount to painting it, it will be the factory color with a metal flake white roof. I love the look of the truck and white really goes well with that color...

Does anyone know the color code or name, my code is long gone.

A little bit more progress. Mad dash to get the truck in running and driving order!

You'll have to excuse the pictures, my camera was dead.

finished up the doors by putting in the sound dampener vapor barrier.

Image0259.jpg

Door panel installed for the final time. So i thought.

Image0260.jpg

Then I went to the swap meet over the weekend an picked up this beauty. Its the same mirror I had but chrome! :cool:

Image0271.jpg

Decided on a ride height so I can get the rear suspension sorted out. 1 1/2 of the ground :D

Image0277.jpg

Then the pinstriping began.

Image0269.jpg

Image0270.jpg

Image0273.jpg

Image0272.jpg

Image0274.jpg

As soon as I get my tax return this build will really start moving.

Bart

Yeah the badge was missing so after looking for a while through a junk yard i settled on that one. Doesn't quite fit but i think it looks pretty good.

We went to the Tri-State Auto swap meet over the weekend at the National Western Complex. The biggest in the state. Not as good as last year though.

Parts list:

Timing set- ordered

Gasket set- ordered

Starter- ordered

Brake Hoses Front- ordered

Brake Hose Rear- ordered

Tie rod assemb. (2)- ordered

Center link- ordered

Shock tabs (2 pair)- ordered

Reducer Spacers (4)- ordered

Universal Long tabs (8)- ordered

Main Bearings

Rod Bearings

Spark Plugs

Alternator

L6 Stainless Bolt kit

165/65/14 Bridgestone tire

Front Shocks

Rear Shocks (air)

F+R window seals

Stainless Trim Screws

Freeze Plugs

Windshield (Need a little help on this one!)

Getting closer!

Is there a specific year or year range for this radiator? Would it be possible to have you take a few measurements for me? I need to see if this will fit my 521 as well as it did your 510.

Thanks

After seeing the pics of your interior door handles, I thought id mention the chrome door pulls I found on a JY 521 a few months back. I dont know if they were factory or not, but I know they fit and theyd compliment your other handles very nicely. Something you may wanna look into.

I got a line on a totally rusty 521 with almost no hope of being rebuilt...ever... :rolleyes: but it has a sweet front window in it that has been replaced at some point in the recent past. I have no idea what he is going to want for the little truck, but other than a few little bits and parts...I was thinking of you and the windshield. Maybe we can split the purchase and you can deal with the remains? Tell me what you thinmk man...I have a feeling it will be between 100 and 200 dollars. Let me know Bart. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I really have been working on it.... really.

It seems like i cant finish any project for the Datsun. Im about in the middle of everything but Im hoping I can get everything to come together by this spring. I have a giant box of parts that came in over the last couple of weeks, engine parts, stainless engine bolt kit, misc. brackets and tabs for the rear suspension, steering components, and Im waiting for the tire shop to open so i can go order another front tire!

So here are the pictures.

Started polishing my stainless bolt kit, which is going to take forever. Im starting at the top of the engine and working my way down. 431 pieces to the kit but i only have to polish the ones that I can see.

100_1315.jpg

100_1320.jpg

100_1318.jpg

The top of my weber air cleaner was pretty rusty from sitting in a junk yard for a few years so I gave it a ratsun touch.

It was a lot harder than i thought it was going to be!

100_1321.jpg

Im setting up the top of the engine so I know what bolts I have to polish. I don't care if it runs or not, its goin to be purdy.

100_1322.jpg

There are 3 holes on either fender for the "Datsun 1600" emblems, which Im not going to run so I filled them with some recently purchaced chrome goodies :)

100_1323.jpg

Im setting up my 4 link. The links are from a 4 runner so im guessing they're going to be plenty strong for my little pickup. The whole rear suspension will get me through this summer until I get it back in the shop to do a proper 4 link and air ride suspension. The lower links just happend to be long enough to run from the stock leaf spring hangers to just under the axle. I built some brackets that will be welded to the leaf perch, remember this is going to be "temporary".

100_1325.jpg

100_1326.jpg

As she sits now. Im waiting for someone to shoot sealer so I can make the roof a permanent white, before it was just spray paint.

100_1327.jpg

I really need to pick things up!