Project DIY: 1971 Datsun 521

Madness

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: PORT-A-WALLS!

the 210 casting is on the spark plug side of the head. I'm not really looking to build a crazy horsepower motor or anything, just enough to keep the truck moving.

The floor will be seam sealed, painted, covered with sound deadening and the bottom side will get chassis saver with VW factory undercoating.

Updates!

First thing was to convert my gauge cluster to all LED lighting.

I bought 3 types of LED's through superbrightleds.com

4 Blue wide agle (360* vewing) for the instrument lighting. 3 Red narrow angle (90* vewing) for warning lights. And 2 Green narrow angle for turn signal indicators.

100_0761.jpg

I pulled the gauge cluster apart... again.

100_0753.jpg

I have to remove these old boring green filters out so I can change the color of the cluster lighting.

100_0755.jpg

To do that you have to carve away at the two melted stems, that you can see on the backside of the cluster, that hold the filters in.

100_0756.jpg

Removed

100_0758.jpg

100_0760.jpg

Then all I had to do was pop in the new LED's. The connections do have a positive and negative that are not marked so when I test the cluster I may have to flip a few of them to light them up.

100_0762.jpg

100_0764.jpg

100_0765.jpg

100_0767.jpg

Out with the old.

100_0768.jpg

While I was at it I wanted to see if I would be able to fix the original dash knobs that I had instead of trying to find new ones in better condition.

This headlight knob had a lot missing out of it but the JB Stick (a JB Weld clay), a few different grits of sand paper, and a quick shot of paint fixed it right up.

100_0770.jpg

100_0772.jpg

Finally I got to the dash pad. A couple of seams on the corners but I don't think it came out to bad. I'm hoping that it will be a little more smooth as time goes on and the vinyl shrinks.

100_0773.jpg

100_0774.jpg

100_0775.jpg

And a little teaser pic.

100_0778.jpg

-Bart

The connections do have a positive and negative that are not marked so when I test the cluster I may have to flip a few of them to light them up.

Hey if you look inside the LED at the contacts you can tell. The bigger one (usually) with a bowl shape at the top is the neg and the smaller longer one (usually) with a tiny wire going into the bowl is the pos.

My friend saves LEDs destined for the garbage at his job and that's how he does it, always works.

UPDATE!

I tested the gauge cluster last night. I think it came out really well, the pictures make it look brighter than it really is though.

P1010587.jpg

P1010588.jpg

Then my girlfriend went picture happy. She wanted to take some pictures of me.

Pulled the heater assembly. It was full of leaves and crud but came out pretty clean.

P1010590.jpg

Me shortly after shattering my perfect windshield moving it to a "safe spot". :thumbdown:

P1010594.jpg

Me under the truck... I think unbolting the trans.

P1010595.jpg

One last pic of her. Her first time using air tools.

P1010599.jpg

bart

man those panels are sweet, makes me think in a different direction for what i am about to start. i will have to lok at this a little harder just so i can understand it better. what i had built now looks to plain for my ride,,,LOL. anyway you keep up the great work, it is turning out awesome, any one will be jealous about the work you are doing on your truck. keep up with the pics, it makes everybody proud to see you fixing up your sweet 521.

TERRY

ROCKSTAR, IT FUELS ME:

Another long night at the shop last night. Most of what was done was small detail stuff that turned out to be very time consuming.

Valve cover pre sanding of JB Weld in low spots.

100_0783.jpg

After sanding

100_0784.jpg

100_0785.jpg

Convinced my buddy to make is shiny... He was already working on a set of OZ lips, I just threw mine in :D

100_0787.jpg

While he was doing that, I set about cleaning up the front suspension.

Pulled down the decorative, bent to hell, HRE for the picture.

100_0798.jpg

100_0799.jpg

With my wheels and tires.

They will actually sit about 1 inch higher after cutting up the sheet metal and ill be running a smaller tire up front.

100_0812.jpg

Valve cover after polishing.

100_0791.jpg

OK the plan is, paint over it and remove the paint over the polish.

Primer

100_0801.jpg

After color, shooting on the clear.

100_0802.jpg

Cleared a couple of other pieces while we were at it.

100_0806.jpg

100_0807.jpg

100_0808.jpg

I got curious as to what the valve cover would look like.

100_0805.jpg

We then went to town on a set of windshield wipers i found in my grandmas garage.

100_0814.jpg

100_0815.jpg

Wiper complete.

100_0816.jpg

100_0817.jpg

100_0818.jpg

-Bart

An art producer friend of mine has this as her e-mail signature. I think it fits here!

"The details are not the details. They make the design.

-Eames"

You're rockin madness!

Borat, My buddy got that wheel for free when he re finished a customers wheels. The owner originally had 5 (spare) but the 5th was canabalized to make a decent complete set, that one is made up of all the bad parts, bent barrel, curbed lip, and corroded mating surface.

Thank you fisch and redeye. Seeing parts of the truck come together gets me excited to get the whole picture together.

Here's a few other pictures of his polishing.

How the HRE's turned out. The owner had the centers powder coated "silver but they came out primer gray, still looked great.

Picture139.jpg

Picture278.jpg

Picture287.jpg

misc1052.jpg

pic175.jpg

motor.jpg

Picture093.jpg

For the 4x4 guys. Dont think his axle is going to leak.

100_0708.jpg

Im not sure what the OZ's are. Im pretty sure they are a tight mesh and they are pretty old. The corrosion on the lips was horrible.