Somewhat Serious Street Build

drummingpariah

Thats what I just said? Surge tank lol sigh.....

Here

http://www.ratdat.com/?p=168

Unless you meant the vw uses that set up and its easy to find. Idk if it would flow enough for a l28et thats to be pushed. I'm going with a duel walbro low/high set up I think, Idk.

Definitely something though you can just rock a stock tank with nothing, big trouble.

Edited by 72240z
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The broad strokes of my fuel rail are finished, except for the channels to be cut for the injectors, since I don't have their exact dimensions. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be 11mm, but I want to be pretty darn sure before I send out the design. I'm pretty sure I'll have to get one of my intake manifolds drilled out a bit as well, so I think I'll just head to the machine shop in person with a flash drive with a .dwf on it and the manifold.

I got a couple more parts in last night, things are looking pretty darn good at this point. More pics:

2009-07-30%2016.37.35.jpg

2009-07-30%2016.39.17.jpg

2009-07-30%2016.38.16.jpg

2009-07-30%2016.37.51.jpg

I'm a little overstocked on transmissions right now.

2009-07-30%2016.46.30.jpg

The exhaust flange from the stock turbo doesn't fit the turbonetics turbo. Shame. There may be one in the box, I'll check tonight.

2009-07-30%2017.13.45.jpg

Here's the stock flange that doesn't look usable:

2009-07-30%2017.15.07.jpg

It'd be really nice to have the option to stay internally wastegated, for simplicity and space, but I might just have to do some welding and adapt this wastegate somewhere. I need a spacer from the exhaust manifold anyway, since the compressor side of the turbonetics turbo is too big. It actually hits the exhaust manifold, no matter which way I clock it.

No, this isn't an optical illusion. It really is that big.

2009-07-30%2016.41.42.jpg

I need to decide where to mount this boost controller. I'm thinking I'll put it in the center console, in the switch panel. That way I'll have 3 switches: Fuel, Spark, Fan, then the boost control knob. Thoughts?

Finally, it's decided. The l28et is going in this thing. I sold the roundtop SU's and the intake manifold from the l24, and I'm trying to find someone to take the e31 head off my hands along with the block (and some transmissions, perhaps). The plan for tomorrow is to hack up the firewall a bit and get the transmission bolted to the engine.

why would you need to hack up the firewall?

Where else will the wires from the l28et go? I'm not really comfortable having the ECU in the engine bay. The stock engine wiring on most s30's comes through the passenger's side, just above the frame rail (next to the battery). The stock engine harness on the s130 (and fuel injected 280z) has a hole just below the clutch master cylinder for the wiring harness to squeeze through. My plan is to cut a hole just like that and put the ECU in the driver's footwell, on the left. It'll make it simpler to wire up and allow me to isolate the body wiring from the engine wiring.

Here's a picture of how the l28et wiring is set up (but you can't really see everything, it's kind of a crappy picture).

2009-07-09%2017.28.54.jpg

The one on ratdat that I posted and read or not your following lol.

Oh, there. Gotcha. Yeah, like that. I had already been thinking about a good use to put the old 100psi fire extinguisher to, and this seems perfect. Just need to get the old fuel tank out!

Great minds think alike and all that, its a perfect thing to use. I have a vintage one I plan to leave alone and using, for a little flare I guess. Little concerned though it's only 1.2 liter, doubt that it would be sucked dry though unless I was at full duty for over a min, not likely.

What size is yours? Looks like maybe 1.5ish.

Your going to weld bungs or tap? With the side wall being so thick I was thinking taping would be just fine.

It's a 2.5l extinguisher, rated to 100psi. With 6 450cc injectors running at max capacity (43psi fuel pressure), I cannot burn through more than 2.7l/min (450cc * 6 injectors, 1L = .001cc). I'm assuming the surge tank will be somewhere around 3/4 full while I'm driving and I'll be using the injectors at about half their duty cycle, so I should be able to run completely dry for about 2 minutes before I run the secondary pump dry.

I'm planning to wire up the secondary pump to the ignition, and I'd like to set up a simple fuel gauge in the surge tank.

The plan is to tap it, since I don't have a welder and don't know exactly what type of steel this tank is made of (making it more difficult to weld).

Gas tank is coming out tonight, whether it wants to or not!

New stuff. Wheel studs are installed, but the lugs the car came with were the wrong thread pattern (I wonder how the studs got stripped... hummmm....), and the fresh ones I have that fit the thread pattern are too fat for the lug holes in the wheels. Next chance I have, I'll pick some up. Anybody have suggestions for good, strong wheel lugs?

I know it's been gone over many times before, but these Toyota calipers with s12-8 casting have two 43mm pistons and two 33mm pistons, they're visibly obvious. They mount right up in the stock location if you trim/remove the dust cover. I think I'll just remove it unless someone has a compelling reason not to.

2009-08-07%2012.36.09.jpg

2009-08-07%2012.40.07.jpg

Tank is cleaned up and emptied of dead dinosaur remains.

2009-08-07%2012.36.58.jpg

It's not going to be on the road for the meet tomorrow, but it's getting there quickly enough that it's realistic to hope that I'll be driving around this week. Hopefully I'll get to see at least some of you guys tomorrow!

New injectors (450cc DSM, 275cc DSM, stock l28et, new 480cc replacements):

2009-08-14%2012.37.52.jpg

Injector sheet:

2009-08-12%2017.48.00.jpg

New set of springs (compared to stock)

2009-08-14%2012.26.21.jpg

Smaller wastegate and t3 -> t3 flange with a wastegate flange on the side:

2009-08-14%2012.24.55.jpg

One of the strut tower bolts on the front has loosened itself from the spring cap, so turning the nut on the strut tower just rotates the bolt. I tried cutting a notch in it so I could get a little leverage on it with a screwdriver, but no luck. It's pretty seriously stuck on there. I suppose I can just cut all the way through the nut, and that's probably what I'll end up having to do.

Edited by drummingpariah
  • 2 months later...

So my rear drums won't let go of the rear hubs, and I'm going to have to cut them off. I think I've located replacements on HybridZ but if anyone has some on here that you'd be willing to sell cheaply (I'll be rebuilding them in any event) I could definitely use a fallback plan.

On another note, Yuta Akaishi is continuing to explode on the internet. He's essentially reached star status, and from what I can see he's the quintessential ratsun-er. I really love the photography Linhbergh got for this article, and the writeup is pretty damned good too (other than some amiguity about the carbs... they didn't come off a VW):

IMG_2940.jpg

Sweet build, man. Like the way this car's coming together, I'll keep my eye on this.

I saw that Z, too (Yuta posted a link to it on S-Chassis). Very cool. I liked the Integra coilovers for the super-low stance. I think that is the way I'd like to build my next S30, if I find one. Not too fancy, heavy on the patina:)

--Ruster

Well, I'm cleaning out some of the parts bins I have lying around. Selling the Turbonetics t3/t4 turbo, the 60mm wastegate, a blow-off valve, and some efi equipment. If anyone needs throw-away parts (like stock springs) just let me know, I'm pretty reasonable with my parts.

Tonight I hope to test fit my aluminum driveshaft from a 280z, it looks like it'll fit nicely and is burlier and lighter than the stock steel one.:thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Gobs of updates, received my eids6 setup, ordering my megasquirt2v3 supplies this weekend or next weekend from Brian at Boost Engineering (anyone have previous experience with him? He's been unstoppably awesome so far, but I haven't had any extended interactions yet). I'm in the middle of rebuilding the rear suspension, but one of the spindle pins in the LCA was all messed up. Combine that with the brake covers refusing to come off, and I'd be happy to buy someone's rear suspension setup if you're parting out a worn old car. Drums are definitely preferred over a disk conversion. I like drums on my rear wheels, they're light and get the job done just fine. No complaints.

The 5spd trans is finally installed correctly, and I found out the 280zxt driveshaft fits on the 240z. Woohoo! I need some help identifying exactly which transmission this is, I was told it came off a truck when I bought it, which might be very good news for my gear ratios.

I'm also planning a swap meet late this month or early next month in the Bay Area. I need to offload pretty much everything that isn't currently in my car, so I'll be selling stuff cheap. Everything from a fresh r200 to a rebuilt t3/t04e turbo to a 60mm wastegate to a whole big pile of injectors needs to go.

Oh yeah, and the engine is in and hooked up (except for the turbo and exhaust) and my Megasquirt is coming in soon, then I'll throw in the EDIS6 setup I've got.

DSC_0430.jpg

Intercooler ductwork is in and installed, and I'm still looking for rear spindles. I suppose I could re-tap the threads on the messed up spindle pin, but I'd really prefer not to. This weekend was really busy with work, so I didn't get the drums off.

I also drilled new holes for the 280zx radiator, and prepped the 280zx headlight mounts for installation. I had ordered some standard 7" round headlights awhile back, but they didn't fit the stock s30 closed-back headlight mounts. I'm using the 280zx mounting brackets, only sideways, mounted directly to the fenders. I'm not sure if I'll need to secure the top as well as the bottom, but I'm hoping two bolts will be enough to keep them from wobbling. We'll see. More detailed updates with pics will go up on my site soon(ish).

This weekend I'm ordering my megasquirt gear and intercooler, and then my parts pile will be complete, except for some fuel and vac lines.

I can't afford to wait around until someone parts out an s30 at a reasonable price so I can get spindles. I'm selling everything in one bundle, asking $3,000 for it all. I'll post all the various parts I've accumulated that'll go with it, and what still needs to be done to get it running tonight.

^^^ All this work and you're going to sell it? I hope I'm misunderstanding... :blink:

Nope, you're understanding. As long as there isn't a misunderstanding between the seller and me, I'm buying this 240z and foolhardily driving it across the country.

It's essentially just what I was building, but with a carb'd l30 rather than an l28et. No complaints about that other than the mileage issue (20mpg carb'd instead of 40mpg with megasquirt). I'll probably drop another engine in here after the trip is done, and sell this engine. We'll see how much I fall in love with it during the drive though.

I'll need to put new tires on it, replace the seats, get a battery, and probably get a new rear spoiler (I like the BRE spoiler).

moneyshot.jpg

crooked_front.jpg

dash.jpg

l30.jpg

I'm selling my Z for $3500, if I can find rear spindles I can sell it as a running driving machine and the price will obviously jump substantially.

Discuss.

New stuff. Wheel studs are installed, but the lugs the car came with were the wrong thread pattern (I wonder how the studs got stripped... hummmm....), and the fresh ones I have that fit the thread pattern are too fat for the lug holes in the wheels. Next chance I have, I'll pick some up. Anybody have suggestions for good, strong wheel lugs?

I know it's been gone over many times before, but these Toyota calipers with s12-8 casting have two 43mm pistons and two 33mm pistons, they're visibly obvious. They mount right up in the stock location if you trim/remove the dust cover. I think I'll just remove it unless someone has a compelling reason not to.

2009-08-07%2012.36.09.jpg

2009-08-07%2012.40.07.jpg

Tank is cleaned up and emptied of dead dinosaur remains.

2009-08-07%2012.36.58.jpg

It's not going to be on the road for the meet tomorrow, but it's getting there quickly enough that it's realistic to hope that I'll be driving around this week. Hopefully I'll get to see at least some of you guys tomorrow!

what model toyota are they from?

do you know if they will work on 280zx?