what motor should i go with

xx510xx

For the $$ you could buy a decent 110v welder (miller), a home shop plasma cutter, 4.5" grinders, and other tools needed as well as all of the engine, swap, exhaust parts, etc and learn how to do it yourself by DOING it.

This stuff isn't that hard, assuming a person has an aptitude for it and _wants_ to... Having the time is also important.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have to put a new roof on my garage and then build my carport. After that we shall see, a friend is going to teach me to weld on a couple of small projects and after that I'll probably keep on going. I'm learning, even if I go at it slowly. Time is always an issue these days too, never enough!

I agree Steve, their work is first rate, oh, and that price includes a full custom 2.5" stainless exhaust too. They stand behind their work very well, you should see the serivice I get just as an ordinary "L" customer :D !

Jason I think you are about the best advertising there is. Maybe that is part of the good service :) haha

The exhaust could easily cost $1k! It is a lot of work.

agreed

The swap is worth the money, it's just not a item that I could spend the money on right now. Shame really, but, then again, I can wait and learn in the meantime, who knows, I might get skilled enough to try it on my own!

I believe you will ( I got a L18 with a A87 head down here with your name on it by the way)

For the $$ you could buy a decent 110v welder (miller), a home shop plasma cutter, 4.5" grinders, and other tools needed as well as all of the engine, swap, exhaust parts, etc and learn how to do it yourself by DOING it.

This stuff isn't that hard, assuming a person has an aptitude for it and _wants_ to... Having the time is also important.

Man Steve I always agree with you it seems like... And if I don't you always seem to convince me other wise. :)

Well, I have to put a new roof on my garage and then build my carport. After that we shall see, a friend is going to teach me to weld on a couple of small projects and after that I'll probably keep on going. I'm learning, even if I go at it slowly. Time is always an issue these days too, never enough!

Isn't time man made? I wonder how I could go about making more? I do have a welder.

Yah, you know me Jeff, family first man. It's important to me that way. You bet I'll learn Jeff, you remember first time I met you? I didn't even have any tools then, but, dang, I got a whole work bench of tools and the collection just grows. Thing I have the most problem with is electrical still though, the mechanical stuff, well I fiddle with it for awhile and it sorts itself out and makes sense eventually.

So you've got an L18 for me? Cool, i've got an engineless wagon that needs one too, looks like I'm coming down for road trip sometime then. Don't forget we go for pizza when I come down next man!

I do like the service at Specialty Jeff, I also get a lot of parts from them. I mean up here, nobody stocks 510 stuff any more. I can walk in there and get calipers, rotors, clutch pieces etc and I don't have to go shopping around. Picked up my new brake master there saturday, Tokico 13/16" one. We don't get the big auto parts places you guys have, even the NAPA up here sucks wind for parts.

Please post! I'd be willing to do the swap for you, if you are interested..

the shop said $1000 bucks if i provided all the parts: motor & tranny, modded crossmember, already shortened driveshaft.. i have a friend with a modded crossmember, and can get driveshaft shortened. they do alot of 240 sr swaps, one in a 510 wagon with ka still in their parking lot. i might have em do a 2.5 inch exhaust though, said 250$ for full back, now that mine has a huge driveshaft ding in it lol.

well id have you help me do the swap steve, but the friend needs the money and hes pretty good too ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If you do all the usual work and run either a nice FI Megasquirt setup or properly tuned dual sidedraft carbs, you can expect maybe 120-135 crank horsepower. You'll have to go pretty wild and 'race prepared' to get higher numbers than that.... and at that point the engine won't last you even 50,000 miles. I assume you want a driver, not a race car.

Stock the L18 is putting out about 85/90 crank hp