1969 Toyota Crown

well guys i bought my first toyota this weekend. with all the family oriented meets we have set up for the summer, i needed a bigger nostalgic jap car.

i jumped on a greyhound friday night at 11:40 and took it to daytona beach to pick it up and drive back. the trip didnt go quite as planned but i made it. i arrived at 11 am and jumped in the car. it was suggested that i get new tires, but i tend to ignore resonable advice. first misstep was a tire blowout at 70 mph. i changed it and went to a wal-mart up the road and bought new tires. wal-mart being the effeciate monopoly it is, i was back on the road 3 hours later! so it's getting dark and the exhaust is driving me crazy. the PO put a brand new exhaust system on it, but somehow managed to blow a huge hole in the muffler with an carb/ether experiment. well it started cutting out at the top end and the battery decided to crap out on me everytime i stopped. it took nearly 2 hours to jump/kick start at one gas station. so i stayed the night in macon and tried it again the next day. well i knew i had AAA and they would tow me 100 miles so when i saw a sign that said "Atlanta 85 miles" i called and got towed the rest of the way. i got it dropped off at oreilly's near my house where John works.{zerogarage} he throws on a new fuel pump and fixed my little problem and she is in my driveway. fun trip seeing that the backfires where deafening and the brakes took a whole exit ramp to stop this monster. i can't wait to start working on this thing. these pictures are from the PO, since my camara is busted. overall for a extremly rare car it is in good shape, a few dings, some hail damage and a few rusty spots, but straight body. grat engine, brand new carbthat i bought, po installed for me. he was really cool, holding the car for me and picking me up at the greyhound and all. i am the 3rd owner, but the second never really drove it. it is a north dakata car, equipped with a block heater. 50000 original miles, lots of cool paperwork, and a mint condition toyota tool/jack set complete the package. plus cool fuzzy dice on the mirror.

1969Toyotacrown-1.jpg

1969crown3.jpg

1969crown.jpg

1969ToyotaCrown.jpg

toyota2009.jpg

toyota3001.jpg

toyota3011.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's a 2m inline 6, with a 4-speed. runs pretty hard really. my plans are changing everyday. can't decide between stock resto or a black 7mgte beast. all m engines bolt right in, but it will be hard to pull the stocker before its time. i do have one solid plan. 17" steelies with trim rings of a dodge charger, and a nice polish on the paint. needs new carpet quickly, since the interior is great, besides the carpet. new muffler soon, the backfires are bringing police out! thanks for the compliments.

... the backfires are bringing police out!

why are they shooting at me !?!?!? :lol:

nice ride...home.

run it stock till it dies.

youll have changed your mind at least a dozen more times by then, maybe youll have even decided on one :P

toyota/datsun...could be a long while :cool:

me too! seats are badass. check out the back seats. ? i bought this so my family can come along, but i dont like the idea of my kids with just lap belts. they are really cool belts, but i need to feel they are safe. any solutions?

5 point harness' and helmets for all :lol:

jk jk :P

I am not sure at what model year Japanese manufacturers started putting anchor plates for kiddie seats in the trunk areas and rear package shelves. Check under your floor mats or call your local Toyota dealer for info. If you have the anchor points, the dealer might have shoulder belt assemblies that snap into them.

i guess that question was kinda vague. i mean a safe belt without heavely modifying anything. there is def. no place to bolt the top part of a standard shoulder belt. it's upolstered up there also and i wouldn't want to cut. but that pretty much rules out everything. mabr some bay harneses isnt a bad idea!

I am not sure at what model year Japanese manufacturers started putting anchor plates for kiddie seats in the trunk areas and rear package shelves. Check under your floor mats or call your local Toyota dealer for info. If you have the anchor points, the dealer might have shoulder belt assemblies that snap into them.

i didn't see this when posting last. i will check that out. so are you saying there might be a mounting point behind the seat in the trunk? that is kinda what i have been thinkin anyway. thanks

don't temp me with the 73gte pics! is that the biggest brake booser you've ever seen? on the 2m. i didn't know what the hell it was!

so i know nothing about toyota's, cross-flow heads a good thing? they made the M series engines from the 60's to the 90's so i figure they are pretty good. :)

AWESOME.

Dude.

Do NOT change that motor!

LOOK! It has OHC, stock iron headers!!

I've never seen that valve cover before!

Be PROUD of that motor!

KEEP the motor fairly stock looking, save triple mikunis or R1 carbs!!

Raise the C/R, 2 1/2 Inch exhaust.

Be a FUN ride!

Edited by agentalpha

i dont plan on any swaps really. this car has 50k original on the 2m. it's got alot of life left. the only thing i might swap in is a 5-speed. it begs for a 5th gear on the highway. it will go 100 in 4th! of course i have heard that the tranny in there is as bullet proof as they come. just electrical fixes, maybe some paint, carpet and wheels {this weekend} and i'll be done with it. of course i need to spend alot of time under the car with a wire wheel and some spray paint.