My 620 RHD project

Steroid

I will be building a genuine 95% Datsun parts RHD truck from a very clean 1976 standard cab. The truck was purchased in 2001 and actually was at one time a show attending Southern California truck. I know this because it had a club logo on the cab's rear window, had a run dash plaque on the glovebox door and had a Pacific Top shell as well as the Fontana fender flares that I used to make My molds from. It had 6' slotted rims up front and 8 1/2" ones on the rear. I did have other plans for this truck but with the purchase of Wasserman's Wonder, this truck became the logical choice for the RHD conversion. When I purchased the truck, it had been hit (or hit something it's self) on the passenger's front side. Not really a bad hit, but it folded the inner fenderwell and core support back an inch and a half. I cut off the core support after locating a nice frontend in a manner that it will nicely fit and slip over where I stepped down the inner fenderwell using a stepdown air tool. The removal of the frontend clinched the decision for the RHD conversion as I can very easily get right to the firewall. It looks like it can easily be cut out from the front. Now earlier I said that it would be a 95%genuine Datsun conversion. I said this because in 2006 My wife and I took a 15 day trip to Japan. On that trip I met another 620 "maniac" in Yokosuka that had an extra 620 that He would be cutting up. I made arrangements to get all that I needed to make the RHD conversion, at least all that I could think of or remember to get, and have sent here to Arizona. I got the complete firewall including the windshield wiper motor and linkage and side posts (which I will NOT need) and steering column retainer/support. This retainer also holds the brake and clutch pedals in place. I got the complete RHD steering column with the box and also the column shifter linkage. All Japanese trucks have column shifting, NOT floor. The RHD cowl was obtained. The 4th box has a complete RHD dash with glovebox door, gauges and wireing loom. The 5th box was full of parts and such. I should have almost everything to make it complete. I will NOT be cutting the cowl area on the 1976 but mearly "adjusting" it to make the windshield wipers fit and work. Yes, I could remove the US one and weld in the Japanese one but this would certainly weaken the front of the cab resulting in a huge project as well as windshield removal and replacement. From what I can see, the US one will work just fine and all of the needed changes will be underneath the cowl so it will never be noticed anyway. Only a few other bolts will have to be added.

What I have found so far............ There are identical "pressings" and bolt areas on the LHD trucks that will, I think, make the switch a pretty easy job. One thing that I found is that the steering column retainer which doubles also as the clutch and brake pedal mounts are removable. They bolt to the firewall. Mark knew about this but I had never removed one before. Out came the dash first, then the heater and finally that retainer. When the front of the cab was gutted, I noticed THANKFULLY that I think the change can be done without removing the windshield from the inner cowl/front of cab. The crazy thing that I noticed is that there is a bolt (actually two) upside down on the inner cowl which look to be in the exact location on the left and right side. On a LHD truck, the left side bolts the steering retainer to the cowl and the right side is simply the rear bracket for the plastic shelf. If that bolt is in the same location, then I can easily line up the RHD retainer after changing out the firewall!! Speaking of the firewall....... It looks like I simply have to cut out the LHD one and trim away the cowling from the RHD one and press it in from the inside of the cab!! It appears that there are just spot welds on both so I am hoping that half a day or so should have Me ready to install. Then have small welds done here and there and re-apply seam sealer like NOS. Also, I have left the seat in the truck so if the firewall can be placed from the inside, then "foot pressure" can be done to press it in!! Yes, I will be posting some pictures starting with how it looked upon purchase and what will be done. One of the fortunant things in My favor are on My purchase of Japanese Trucktrends magazines, there was a 4 issue article on installing an L20B into a Japanese truck. Over there, Japanese 620s came with small J series engines as well as different transmissions setup for the coulmn shift linkage. These 4 issues gave Me all of the photos that I need to see what needs to be correctly done to get it as complete as possable. I am very confidant that a Japanese "purest" will, without looking too closely, think that I had a Japanese 620 shipped over here! I also can see how an L series engine sits in a Japanese truck and what changes they do to theirs very much what Mine will look like. Well, there it is..... Stay tuned!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, here is where the dream started................ in Japan!!!

Below is Akira and Hama (in hat).

620RHDJ1.jpg

I was staying on the US Navy base in Yokosuka for 15 days. This is an unbelievable story of how I found Akira, His truck and the donor truck He also owned. One morning I took the bus around the base while My wife, Terie, was getting ready. In one of the parking lots sat a 620, Akira's. It was there the next day also, so on the third day, I got up early and walked about 1/4 mile to that lot. I photographed it through the fence. I also had My photo album with Me. An employee came out and I jestered with My hands to inquire who owned it. He pointed to an office, which it turned out, was the bases body shop where Akira works. As I went inside the only person that I met who could understand Me was Hama. I showed Him some of My photos and He took Me way into the back to introduce Me to Akira. Akira does not speak any english so Hama briefly translated. As I showed Akira My photos, He reached up on a shelf and pulled down Trucktrends issue # 14. He opened it and there was a photo of Funtana taken at Resolutions. I turned to My pictures and He knew somewhat then who I was. Very crazy how that happened!! I asked about His truck and if I could have the honor of riding in it. He indicated that would be possible after He got off of work. Can You imagine My excitement?!?!? After He got off of work, I went over with cameras and photos in hand to meet up with Him. I climbed into the first RHD 620 I had ever seen and off We went. I had no idea that they are column shift so this was incredible!!

620RHDJ3.jpg

Note in the below photo, Akira has lowered His hand to show detail of the clutch pedals and column shift. My flash didn't go off but if You look closely, You will see the shift knob up in front of where the tach or clock would be mounted if it had either one. The thing with the "x's" is a child seat's footrest that was between Us, not a Datsun part.

620RHDJ4.jpg

We drove through Yokosuka up to His other property and His collection. Here is His Datsun "Sunny" and the donor truck (in the background) that He would be cutting up.

620RHDJ2.jpg

It was truly an incredible day and We ended up at His house in His spare room looking at magazines, photo albums and NOS parts!! Later, My wife would say "You met the Japanese You!!!!!" INDEED!!!

Here are detail shots of the dash and firewall that I obtained.

620RHDJ6.jpg

620RHDJ5.jpg

I wanted to touch briefly on what I was trying to describe earlier on the (My definition) upper cowl area. In looking at the below photo, which I copied off of an Austrailian 620 that was on ebay (if I remember correctly), ALL that I will be changing out is the shiny white firewall area. The rest of My cab I will leave alone.

620RHDfirewall.jpg

The upper cowl area is usually covered up from view so why change it out? You can imagine the nightmare I would create by doing that. If I were a true bodyshop with come-alongs and such I might consider it, but here is what I plan to do.............

This photo shows what I was describing on "pressings". This cowl area is on a US cab. You will notice the windshield wiper posts common to Us with the blue arrows. But look closely at where the red arrows point.....

620RHDinner.jpg

See the trianglated pressings where the windshield wipers would be if it were a RHD truck? Your truck should have those too. It depends which side they needed to press out the openings, I believe, on a common part. I could be wrong but I think that I simply have to cut out those holes to properly install the Japanese windshield wiper linkage. Inside all I have to do is match up, by using the Japanese upper cowl that I received, as a pattern to accurately mount the RHD windshield wiper motor in the correct location. If this is true, this will be a very easy switch of only the firewall and steering column to make My '76 RHD!! Stay tuned!!

That is a great story MikeSan!

I noticed those "pressings when I had my truck all apart and was repairing the windshield wipers, but never put two and two together. That is wild.

The "Sunny", is that what they are called or is that like one of those Aussie Utes? What year/years? What engine?

I wanted to touch briefly on what I was trying to describe earlier on the (My definition) upper cowl area. In looking at the below photo, which I copied off of an Austrailian 620 that was on ebay (if I remember correctly), ALL that I will be changing out os the shiny white firewall area. The rest of My cab I will leave alone.

620RHDfirewall.jpg

The upper cowl area is usually covered up from view so why change it out? You can imagine the nightmare I would create by doing that. If I were a true bodyshop with come-alongs and such I might consider it, but here is what I plan to do.............

This photo shows what I was describing on "pressings". This cowl area is on a US cab. You will notice the windshield wiper posts common to Us with the blue arrows. But look closely at where the red arrows point.....

620RHDinner.jpg

See the trianglated pressings where the windshield wipers would be if it were a RHD truck? Your truck should have those too. It depends which side they needed to press out the openings, I believe, on a common part. I could be wrong but I think that I simply have to cut out those holes to properly install the Japanese windshield wiper linkage. Inside all I have to do is match up, by using the Japanese upper cowl that I received, as a pattern to accurately mount the RHD windshield wiper motor in the correct location. If this is true, this will be a very easy switch of only the firewall and steering column to make My '76 RHD!! Stay tuned!!

that bare chassis one is my 620 before it went to the panel beaters.

mike if you need odds and ends you know how to contact me. i am still working on your windwing rubbers and pieces. i need to get 2 of my doors back from the panel shop to get the little bits needed.

Hi Michael,

No, not that I've ever seen. All of the 620s that I have ever owned or seen, including My mexican imported fourdoor, are floor shift. As We all have the L series engines, We would have very different transmissions than Yours. I have no idea what to do except put the column in for display and shift through the floor with the 5 truck speed it will have. The only other (more than likely, VERY COSTLY) idea that I had was to contact Carr transmissions in the L.A. area and see if they could cut a case and move somehow the linkage to the side. I was also thinking about using cables but what if one failed??? I'm at a blank other than to just shift through the floor. My fourdoor had a J series engine but it and the original transmission (whatever it was) are long gone.

Here are 4 more pictures that pretty much self explain what needs to be done. In the first picture:

You can see how I trimmed and "stepped down" the inner fender well. As You recall, in front of where the battery rests, it was shoved back an inch and a half, which is why this needed to be done. But the awesome thing is now look at all of the access to the firewall I have!!

620RHDprojectbegin.jpg

The next 3 pictures show what I traded for:
#1 See how easy this actually will be? I will cut out the "dirty part" IE; firewall only and place in the opening when the USA blue firewall is removed. Notice what I was explaining about the windshield wiper linkage holes.

620RHDpiece1.jpg

This next view shows what I was explaining about the "pedistal bolt" See it just under the bottom end of the windshield wiper motor? On a USA inner cowl, that bolt holds up the pedistal/brake and clutch support. The bolt that is holding the RHD pedistal is the same bolt that holds Your plastic rear shelf bracket.

620RHDpiece2.jpg

Here are both LHD and RHD pedistals to show what I am explaining.

620RHDpiece3.jpg

I was too busy this weekend to do anything but hopefully sometime this week I will remove the LHD steering column/box and firewall. From there, it looks like I simply have to carefully trim and remove the white RHD firewall and see how it sets in place!!

Two things that I failed to mention:

1. Notice that all I have to do on the USA upper cowl (that will stay in place) is to drill two upper holes for the top of the emergency brake bracket. See how those thoughtful Japanese engineers made the same "pressing" on either side? I just need to drill those two holes, the lower two holes and one larger hole where the cable runs through.

2. Notice an awesome find!!! A US heater will line up exactly where a RHD one is for both the water lines AND the fresh air inlet!! I didn't know that Datsun used the same heater worldwide until I opened the box that the firewall came in. See where the water line holes just "hug" up against the emergency brake bracket?!?!?

Cool!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is where I am now..................

Last week I took the firewall/cowling and decided where to make the cuts. First, though, I started removing the front of the cab floor from the bottom of the firewall. I have to give thank You's to Ron Kelly and Mark Lynn!! Even though they wouldn't think that they were helpful in this project, it was discussed in length how to remove a core support. Their ideas were beneficial on this project as the objective is the same. As I had learned on this truck's core support how to correctly cut around the spotwelds, this practice on that project gave Me knowledge on how to do it right on the firewall. Thanks Ron!!! Thanks Mark!!!

Moving on.........

This view shows how I cut first BETWEEN two spot welds. Many people just drill out the spotwelds but the strength is jebrodized that way. By leaving all of the metal, naturally the strength and working areas on replacement are endless. So, after My first cut, I then took a vicegrip and started "rocking" the metal back and forth until it broke at the spotweld. Then I took the cutting wheel again and cut just an eighth of an inch over. Putting a flatblade screwdriver under and forcing the floor metal away either the weld would break, or the metal, now giving Me the next inch and a half piece (to the next weld) to break free. One by one, piece by piece, this is how I removed all surrounding metal from the firewall and, also yesterday, the blue firewall from the front of My truck's cab. Here is an example:

620RHDpiece4.jpg

Next are two views of cutting away the inside and outside of the cowling.

First, the outside. Look carefully for cut above the driprail:

620RHDpiece5.jpg

Next, from the inside:

620RHDpiece6.jpg

Now, the firewall is fully removed. I am done with the cowl area except to make patterns for, and place, the RHD windshild wiper motor and linkage.

620RHDpiece7.jpg

Next view shows how I removed (as described earlier) the outer and then inner cowling. The outer is spotwelded on top of the inner so You have to do the process twice. This, I'm sure, would add strength to the windshield mounting as well as integrity in a serious crash. I am GLAD that I left this alone on the blue cab!!

620RHDpiece8.jpg

The final view shows the firewall fully cleaned up and ready to install in My cab!!!

620RHDpiece9.jpg

I got to thinking after looking at this just how cool it would be to have it CHROMED first!! I wonder if anybody has ever done that? If You had an extra cab, it could be done and changed out on a show truck easily.

Yesterday I fully removed the LHD steering column and firewall on the blue truck. Just some adjusting and figuring and this firewall should be installed in, I would guess, half a day!! Maybe next week................. Stay tuned!

• 5 months later...

These photos were taken in mid May. They have been in My camera and were just developed last week. As You can see, the firewall was installed and welded in by My welder Guru, Rich Boyett. With the garage project, nothing has been done since then and it looks like this today:

620RHDwelded1.jpg

620RHDwelded2.jpg

I had hoped to have had the firewall painted by now but the person doing the painting is not available until sometime in September. Hopefully by then this project will be back on track. Still looking for "flower" hubcaps!! HELP!!

• 5 months later...

I am glad this thread was brought forward. First off, that bed is now gone and another one with the seams and tiedown hooks intact primered and installed. I decided to try to make the RHD truck as close to stock as I possibly can. That bed was shaved for the original build of another Fontana truck. The RHD truck will be totally stock looking except for the sunroof, unless I decide to fill the roof. I just purchased another cab with a nice headliner so it is a possibility.

Moving on........... The LHD steering box bolt bracket has been removed and shaved. A RHD bracket was fabricated and welded in by another local welder/fabricator, Rich Dunn, who is My mechanic's, Bruce's, brother. Rich is finishing up an awesome 1940 Chevrolet and also working on a 1940 Ford two door, so He is VERY capable. Rich also drilled the appropriate holes, filled the existing holes, and mounted the windshield wiper motor and linkage. I don't have pics right now to post but Mark will be here on Monday so maybe He will photograph and post the new progress. All that is left now to do is clean up the front framerails and suspension, then spray black. From there, it's off to a bodyshop for paint. Hopefully, it will be the truck I will be showing at this years JCCS.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark for posting those pics!!!

If You look close at the top photo, You can see that the windshield wiper motor and linkage have been moved. The common LHD holes have also been filled. Bruce's brother, Rich Dunn, fabricated the steering bracket and removed the common LHD one. If You look closely, You will see that the new, stock appearing bracket is above the VIN numbers, which might one day present an issue. Rich was very careful to not cover any of them and also make the bracket appear as if it arrived from japan as a true RHD truck. I hadn't even thought of that!!! The bottom photo (inside the cab) shows how He also "built" a RHD cowl from two LHD ones. The one that I received from Japan was really rusted badly and would not have enhanced the truck so Rich cut out the 2 holes and re-installed them using a template that He made from the Japanese RHD cowl. He then really surprized Me by using LEAD, not bondo to fill the stock old holes!!! A true custom artist from the past!!! When it warms up and I can no longer work on the garage, I will wirewheel the frontend then paint black and it will be ready to take to a bodyshop finally for paint!!!

• 7 months later...