Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

Had to check out your threads full topic, amazing dedication and persistence, especially with what's going on all the time in your life. Relentless and inspiring! You also have a wonderful group of friends, amazingly strong connections, KUDOS! 

Thanks for some inspiring ideas and possible leads. Unfortunately I don't have such a great selection of used parts to pick from. Spend most of my time searching and scour the internet on both sides of the border for that right replacement part. But in the end, it all pays off, right? Good luck on your 520 build, looking fantastic by the way.

Rat-a-at-Dat

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the kind words.

The lesser availability in parts is why I have upgraded so many parts on my 520 to newer more available parts.  The ride quality and handlig of the 720 chassis is far superior to the 520.  Not to mention the vented rotor disc brakes.  The funny thing is the 720 chassis uses the same shocks front and back as the 520, 521, & 620.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 3
On 3/25/2019 at 10:54 PM, Charlie69 said:

The funny thing is the 720 chassis uses the same shocks front and back as the 520, 521, & 620.

Is this true for the coil over conversions on the front ends? Looking at options to remove the torsion bars to make better room for the exhaust system.

• Like 1
On 3/23/2019 at 11:00 PM, Rat-a-tat-Dat said:

Had to check out your threads full topic, amazing dedication and persistence, especially with what's going on all the time in your life. Relentless and inspiring! You also have a wonderful group of friends, amazingly strong connections, KUDOS! 

Thanks for some inspiring ideas and possible leads. Unfortunately I don't have such a great selection of used parts to pick from. Spend most of my time searching and scour the internet on both sides of the border for that right replacement part. But in the end, it all pays off, right? Good luck on your 520 build, looking fantastic by the way.

Rat-a-at-Dat

I have shipped parts to Canada on the past.  Many Canadians have family or friends close to the border on the US side and have parts shipped to the family or friends and then the Canadian residents visit them in the US and get the parts on their visit.

• Like 2

It has been a busy couple of weeks.  My 17 year old grand niece was shot and killed while she was holding her 6 month old baby.  The guy that shot her shot 5 other people killing one other person.  Police arrested him the next day.  Child protective services took the baby.  we held services for her on Saturday.

Things are starting to settle down so Saturday I am going to work on my 520 wiring.  As soon as I finish the wiring I am going to button  all the engine and automatic transmission loose ends up and Doc510 and I are going to start the engine and check the timing and the valves. 

Next will be finish the brake and fuel lines and also run tranmission coolant lines.  I have a small transmission cooler with an electric temperature operated fan.

I plan on starting the body work  after the engine is running.

• Sad 6

Thank you all for your kind words.  You can bet I will be at the trial for the killer.

Saturday did not go as planned after family stuff I needed some R&R so I headed to the junk yard to relax.  Picked up a couple 720 parts.

My 90 hardbody showed up Friday afternoon.

DSC02899.jpg

DSC02900.jpg

DSC02901.jpg

DSC02902.jpg

It has a KA 5 speed shows 133,000 miles on the odometer.  I will have my brother go through the engine (rebuild it) and most likely put the KA 5 speed into my 84 king cab.

DSC02875.jpg.

This next Saturday morning I will have to make a dump run and then I will lock my self on the patio and get as much as I can done on my 520 wiring.

Sundays I spend helping my father and step mother around there house.  It will not be much longer as we will have to move them to assisted living.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 3

Thank you for the kind words.

No I am addicted and have been since the 70s.  I honestly cannot pass up a cheap truck.

7 hours ago, BrothersGarage said:

Best wishes though this tough time. 

Honest question though - are you trying to collect one of each of the body styles of trucks made by Nissan/Datsun? lol

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1

Managed a couple hours of wire whittling today.  I am running my front lights, coil, distibutor, temperature gauge sender, carb choke and cut solenoid wires through one of the 2 holes on the drivers side firewall.

DSC02903.jpg

DSC02904.jpg

DSC02905.jpg

DSC02906.jpg

DSC02907.jpg

DSC02908.jpg

DSC02909.jpg

Lighting wires today engine wires tomorrow.

Since the fuel tank and electric pump are on the drivers side I will run the fuel tank and pump wires along with backup, tail, stop, and turn wires out the second hole in the firewall on the drivers side, and along the inner frame rail back.

• Like 5

I forgot to mention that the power wires and miscleneous other wires will go out the passenger side wheel well are and travel along the top of the fender and enter through an existing hole from there.

Edited by Charlie69
  • 5 weeks later...

I worked on the wiring diagram to change the routing of the wires for the head, front & rear combination, backup, license plate lights, AC compressor, carburetor choke & fuel cut solenoid, and coil and the distributor wires. 

When you figure that by doing this I have save over 5' to 8' length on each wire this has added up to many feet of wire savings.  Yes I could have left it stock, but I do not understand why auto manufacturers waist so many feet of wire on every vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...