Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haven't been in your thread for a while Charlie.  I've always liked those factory isuzu rims, glad it looks like they will work out for you.

Replacing that fusible link setup with a block is the single best mod you can make to a 720 harness.

Nice work

Hope you're doing ok physically.

Edited by Lockleaf
  • Like 1

Thanks Lockleaf, I am doing fine.  Just another life hurdle to get over.

I hope to work on the 520 some this weekend. 

You are right Lockleaf, the fusible links are the down fall of the 720 harness.  even replacing the fusible links with inline fuses is better than the fusible links.

Here is the Isuzu 12 Y wheel a 205/60R16on the 1980 720 chassis under my 66 520.

Rear.  Rear is hanging frame on jack stands.  I have to get a couple U bolts from the junk yard.  Cannot seem to find any leaf spring U bolts.  I have stripped dozens of trucks over the years.  I guess they grew legs!

DSC02833.jpg

DSC02834.jpg

DSC02835.jpg

DSC02836.jpg

Front.  Front has Belltech 2" drop spindles and has a static drop done but I want to redo the static drop on the torsion bars.  Weight of the truck is on the front tires.  I might have to shim the fronts up to a 1/2" is possible.

DSC02837.jpg

DSC02838.jpg

I think I will look at a 215/60R16 for the front and a 225/60R16 for the rear.  And see if I can fill the wheel wells a little better.  It reminds me of the big old school Lincolns and Caddies with the 13" wire wheels skinny little low profile tires.  No the look I am going for.   I think these rims will work fine, I will have to fine tune the tire size and the spacing to what I like.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 2

Those wheels look the goods Charlie (well, except the one with the Isuzu center cap). Go buy some new U bolts, then all of the other ones you have will magically appear.

Ask Me how I know.

EDIT: Screw that, just start looking for something completely different...that always works.

Edited by KELMO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you Kelmo I am trying to get this truck as close to this rendering as I can.  Maybe a color change.

Drawing done By Edz280zx.

520-1.jpg

I went through all my cat litter buckets I use for parts today and could not find any.   I hope to be in the yards this weekend and get a few more parts that I need.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

That is true Wayno.  The diameter is too large and they stick way out past the wheels.  These are big enough to go over self locking hubs. 

Charlie, you need to get a set of 4 rear caps from a Trooper. They are half the depth (and the stickers come off easy with a little heat). That is what I did with mine.

• Like 2

Thank you datsunrides.  That sounds much better.

Mark If I do not use spacers I can run the stock studs, but need to get longer lug nuts so the lug wrench does not interfere with the rim.  I know what you mean on the parts I can not locate.

It seems like almost anytime I ma looking for something I either cannot find it or I do not have as many as I did when I put them away.  Go figure!

20 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

I do not like the center caps.  Maybe Mike Klotz will be able to spin something up for me.

LOL!  I have a hard time keeping up with threads on ratsun these days, but when I saw your rims, my first thought was.... "I wonder if I could make center caps for those?"    I'm not sure how to get them to hold in the hole or if you'd be able to measure the dimension accurately enough.  But, as you know, I enjoy the design side of machining. lol

Sounds like datsunrides has a much better solution! :)

Ebay has tons of lug nut options.  I would think that a "tuner" lug with the splines would have a small enough diameter for the socket to clear the rim.  It's taken some looking, but I've found lug nuts in both metric and SAE that look the same......so they can be run with my brake kit.  Nuts are also hugely cheaper on ebay than at the parts store!!

Edited by mklotz70
  • Like 1

Yes Mike datsunsrides solution is easier but where on this build have I taken the easier road!  LOL

I will ship you the one center cap I have and you can play with the design. 

If I end up using spacers to get the wheels in the wheels wells where I want them the caps can be that much lower/flatter on the rim.  I still have some 1/8' spacers that Mike made me for the disc brake kit I purchased from him.

Edited by Charlie69

I had bought no-logo center caps, and they just plain looked out of place, and like you said, stuck way out too far.

I use them in my parts washer now to hold nuts & bolts that I want to let soak....

Just didn't have the ambition to machine some custom ones from bar stock, so I just cleaned and painted the hubs, and exposed axle surfaces, and run nice fresh front bearing caps.

Interested in what Mike comes up with.

• Like 1

Hi Charlie

I like those wheels alot!

Incase you want other center cap options:

- Summit Racing has 200 pages of "Wheel Center Caps"...

- Ebay has "Datsun Wheel Emblem" choices from 1.75" to 2" right now... 

• Like 2

Mike I have been very busy, and hope to be able to get some measurements on Sunday.  I will ship the cap I have so you can see the 3 mounting holes get get a better idea of how they are designed. Mike would shipping you the rim Make it easier for you?

I hope to get started on the back brakes after the Williams run on the 6th of October.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1