Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

If you need more lighting.....I've seen these(or similar) installed in a bunch of YT vids....you might look into them.  Super cheap, they gang together so you don't need a lot of extra plug ins.  I was going to switch, but I'm already too far into the conversion I'm doing to change it up now. :(  

https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-Integrated-Fixture-Utility-electric/dp/B01HBT3BVM/ref=sr_1_4?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1532259149&sr=1-4&keywords=led+shop+lights

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/20/2018 at 11:37 PM, Charlie69 said:

My brother Garret likes these 16" 1998 to 2002 Isuzu trooper wheels.  They are a -38 off set so I need some help from the wheel gurus, will these work on a 1980 720 chassis?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401569488720?ViewItem=&item=401569488720

I have these wheels on my 521. The fronts fit nice as I have the Beebani ball joint front end with 720 spindles, so probably similar on a 720. I had to use a 1" spacer on the rear to get the track width similar to the front. It's been a while, but I think the rears rubbed on the inside fenderwell a little so the spacer killed two birds. Not sure if the rear track width on the 720 is the same as a 521.

• Like 1

Thank you for the info Datsunrides.  Pictures would help determine if my brother likes the looks.  The 720 rear end I believe is a couple inches wider than the 521.  This is measuring from WMS (Wheel Mounting Surface) to WMS.

Thank you ol' 320.

I just came back from the wrecking yard with the engine compartment wiring from a 2000 Quest Van, a battery box for the brackets, and a 1984 720 harness for the AC wiring.

The 1980 720 harness does not have the little blue light to show the AC is on.  That is why I picked up the 84 harness.

I use the 2000 Quest wiring for the alternator and the main fuses.  Never hurts to have spares.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1

This is the 95 Quest engine bay harness that I pulled from the wrecking yard the other day.

DSC02785.jpg

This is the wiring and components needed for the charging system and main fuse block that eliminates fusible links.

DSC02783.jpg

DSC02782.jpg

This is an auxillary fuse/junction block that is connected to the Quest harness.  Not sure if I am going to incorporate it.

DSC02784.jpg

Wiring is fun until you let the smoke out!  LOL

• Like 2
On 7/22/2018 at 4:34 AM, mklotz70 said:

If you need more lighting.....I've seen these(or similar) installed in a bunch of YT vids....you might look into them.  Super cheap, they gang together so you don't need a lot of extra plug ins.  I was going to switch, but I'm already too far into the conversion I'm doing to change it up now. ?

https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-Integrated-Fixture-Utility-electric/dp/B01HBT3BVM/ref=sr_1_4?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1532259149&sr=1-4&keywords=led+shop+lights

X2 on these, I put them everywhere. Massive improvement over the old fluorescent tube lights. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up one of the Isuzu wheels to check fit.

On the rear.

DSC02820.jpg

DSC02819.jpg

DSC02821.jpg

On the front.

DSC02823.jpg

DSC02822.jpg

DSC02824.jpg

DSC02825.jpg

These wheels clear fine without tires.  I will get a tire as close to the diameter of the stock tires for a 1980 720 2wd which is195/75-R14.  Here is a link to a tire calculator that makes it easy to keep outside diameter of your tires close.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=195-75r14-245-50r16

It looks like the best choice is a 245-50r16 to fit the Isuzu wheels.

These are the tires I am looking at installing on the Isuzu rims in a 245-50r16 size.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/extensa-hp-ii

I have never run such short sidewall tires so I guess it will make for a rougher ride.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 5

50 Series aren't all that bad.  They're half as wide as they are tall.  I've never had them on an import truck, but had them on plenty of full sized vans with no complaints..

I just looked at your link, and I have Toyo Extensas 195/50/15's on my wagon ?

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1

Sweet Duncan!  Thank you for the info.

I figure I will buy 1 of the Toyo tires and get it mounted and check the fitment of the tire before I buy 5.  I need to source 4 more rims.  I also need to check to see if this wheel tire combo will work under the bed as a spare.  I am afraid that when I get the rear leaf springs made to lower the truck where I want it that the spare will have to be inside the bed.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1