Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

I picked up the springs from my brother yesterday.  Ended up helping Robit try to put his engine in his 84 720.  He purchased a beautiful chrome header that does not fit.  Yes it is a long tube header.

I am hoping to get the springs cleaned & painted, tomorrow I will install them.

I need to get back on the wiring after that.

I have to order some rotors and strut rod bushings for the front end and cut down the tie rod ends for the lowered spindles.  Swap torsion bars and the front suspension will be done.  The rear suspension I will need to figure out what shock I need for the lowered springs.  I pulled a set of Datsun 710 station wagon shock mounts to swap with the stock 720.  The stock 720 mounts take a bayonet stud mount that when lowered always drags and bends.  The 710 mounts take the eye type shock mount so it in theory will have more ground clearance.

DSC02214_Noted.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been searching for possible rear shocks And this is what I have come up with choices in KYB.

Lowered_Shock_Absorbers_1.jpg

Lowered_Shock_Absorbers_2.jpg

Until I get the shocks mounted I will not be able to get the measurements I need to choose a shock length.  I also might need to "C" notch the frame for clearance.

• Like 2

I "C" notched my 720 frame I used for the 520, I am really low, I used Kayaba(KYB) Gas Shock Absorber "Excel-G" for rear shocks, part# 343219, at least I think it is what I used, I have so many vehicles around here it's hard to remember anymore.

It is an eye/eye shock, I used 510 wagon rear leaf mount pieces for the lower shock mounts, it definitely helped the rear clearance.

DSCN2207.JPG

DSCN2208.JPG

The U-bolt ends are the lowest thing now, I need to cut them off someday.

• Like 3

Wayno that is where I got the idea from was your post on your 520 thread.

Thank you again for another way to get lower.

I did not accomplish anything on my 520 today.  I am making 2 trips a day to Gene's house to take care of his dog and 11 cats.

Helped Robit some and borrowed a tow bar from Tom to tow Robit's new 620 home tomorrow from Orangie's house  Robit bought Orangie's 620 SR20 project.

I need to replace 2 hard drives in my dad's computer tomorrow.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/52633-620-with-sr20det-with-ac/

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Our Vet Dr Peterson is coming to our house Monday morning to put Darla Rose into  her eternal sleep.  Monday is going to suck,  Sunday I will grill her a Redeye rib-eye steak for her last supper.  Darla loves rib-eyes and Redeye knows how to have steaks cut.

• Like 6

Thank you Mike.  She is still protecting the house, wagging her tail, wanting to play, and chasing cats.  Her tumor has grown to the point that it is restricting vein blood flow in her leg.  Her right lower leg has starting pooling blood because of this restriction.  Her appetite is waning.

Dr Petersen says the pooling is not painful to her but she is having trouble getting up.  I have been up all night for the last 3 days with her.  She is having trouble getting comfortable to sleep.

It is time to let her go with dignity.  She has been the funnest dog I have ever had.  Darla Rose will be missed.

• Like 2

I know that feeling, idk Charlie was hanging out with me when I had to put my English bulldog down. He was almost 12 years old and his name was bandit. I getting ready to face the painful decision about chopper also. It's going to be hard cuz even though I found him wandering the streets and he had skin cancer on his belly which we got it removed and he was mistreated by his previous owners. He's having difficulty getting up and moving like he used to but he is going on 9 years old now

• Like 2

Thank you FunkyFresh520.  I do have a long ways to go.

Thank you Stoney.   Darla Rose is my shadow she is with me at all times when I am home.  If I am working on my trucks she is there on the driveway on here folded comforter standing guard.  No one could walk up on me with out her going off.  She is a great companion and guard dog.

Gene Sorry you will have to go through this feeling again also.

This feeling will not stop me from getting another rescued dog.

Darla Rose is a rescued dog.  She was 2 years old when we adopted her.  When Kelly the Foster parent received Darla she was skin and bones very malnourished.  she weighed about 70 lbs.  Kelly got her a toy rubber pig from Walmart, Darla did not know what to do with it.  Darla did not know how to play!  Kelly, his wife and step daughter taught Darla ho to play.  Kelly would take her jogging with him in mornings and got her to play catch with a tennis ball.

We were on a list of possible adopters' for Darla.  We were #5 on the list.  We did not think we would even get to meet her let alone adopt her.

We have had 3 plus wonderful years with Darla and wish it could have been more.

Off to buy Darla a rib-eye for dinner.

• Like 5