Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Rock Auto Carrier Pigeon dropped off today.

DSC02120.jpg

Still waiting on the front Brake hoses. 

I will be painting and installing the Belltech lowering spindles for good and also will prep and install my new to me torsion bars.

Mike Klotz I will post if I can not use my new stock 1985 rotors.

One step closer.

• Like 5

Shoulders is feeling good.  February 3rd I will schedule to have my right knee replaced and as soon as I can after that I will schedule my left knee replacement.

So I have get some work on the 520 in between surgeries. 

Its all good!

• Like 4

One step closer.  Hubs and lowering spindles primed and painted.

DSC02132.jpg

DSC02133.jpg

DSC02134.jpg

The main differences in the Belltech lowering spindles are they are much heavier built and the tie rod mount is part of the spindle casting instead of the factory spindle has a 2 bolt bracket for the tie rod to attach to.

When the paint dries I will take some comparison photos and explain the differences with photos.

• Like 5

Had the pleasure to see Gene, his nephew Nick & Charlie again today here in Bullhead city AZ. It was a business / therapy visit & the day went too quick. Anywhooo...Charlie returned to me a 521 gate I gave him a long time ago for a few mods he wants done. Its a long term deal & right up my alley in terms of the mods. Heres an extreme before shot...

2a6us2c.jpg

• Like 5

Mark you can angle the plate box any way you want and if you want to leave it full depth do it we will make the truck bed fit the tailgate.  LOL

Mark the work you do for me I really appreciate.

Great visit with you and Steroid. Wish we could have gone to Tony's house, just ran out of time.

GOOD TIMES!!!

• Like 3

Ok i dove into the gate today keeping in mind Charlie has given me creative freedom. So...after some thought & measuring [eyeball] heres what i came up with...

the box will set here..even @ this spot i had to cut into the lower brace a bit..

2cqfj3s.jpg

I made relief cuts to angle the box so it lines up with the body line. I welded steel in behind the cuts  to make it strong again..

2q8d6du.jpg

& tacked in place....theres a few rust spots ill cut out & repair too later on

snnjbp.jpg

The gate has seen better days & needs some serious love for sure but Im having fun !

• Like 6

Mark I need the height of the original letters.  My other tailgates are buried. 

I am going to have a cursive Datsun water jetted in stainless steel and have it polished.  It will be like this only the "D" will be the size of the original tailgate letters.

DSC01464_zpsbda1e89b.jpg

With out the 520.

• Like 5