Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

Thank you guys, I got lucky finding these spindles.

I have a set of 1978 620 disk brake 14" rims, a set of 1996-1997 Hardbody alloy 14" rims.  If these hit the tie rod I will use some wheel spacers I purchased from Mike Klotz a while back if I have room.  I have been told by a few people that the Belltech spindles will push my front wheel out buy about an inch.  I plan on documenting the install and comparison of the Belltech spindle and the stock 1980 spindle.

The Belltech spindles fit from 1983 720 and up.  From the research I have done the only difference I can find in the 1980 spindle is the smaller non vented rotor caliper.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great score Charlie!!

I didn't think it was the tierod that hit, I thought is was the lower ball joint that rubbed.  I guess we'll find out.

I've never seen true 720 dropped spindles.  The HB dropped spindles will fit right on the 720.  So....as you start to assemble, you may need to use HB rotors instead of 720 rotors.....otherwise, the hubs/calipers will be fine.  I'm curious to see if which rotor these use......might be the first set of 720 dropped spindles I've seen :)

• Like 1

Maybe it was the rim that hit near the lower balljoint, I cannot remember as I am just going by what I have heard quite some time ago.

Hey Mike, how are you, I have a couple sets of 720 drop spindles, one set with the spacers, if you want a close look at a set, I can drop a set off for a while if you have a need.

• Like 1

Hi Wayne!  With what kind of spacers?  I'm working on the ball joint mod again. I know some guys are going to want to use dropped spindles with them. It would actually be great to have a set on hand to work with.  I can try to make sure that the mod will work with either stock or dropped.  Thanks!!

hmmm....are they spacers that push the caliper out a bit so that the 720 rotor can be used?  I'd use the HB rotor with them....more caliper clearance with the rim.

• Like 1

Gene is correct the spacers shift the caliper out so the stock 720 calipers and the stock rotors work.  I will document this well so we will know what the differences are in the spindles.

I will use the 1980 hubs with the 1985 rotors.  I have 2 pairs of new rotors and 2 sets of loaded rebuilt calipers.

Mike I will get measurements of the spacers for you.

Here is a picture of what I have from Summit Racing.  Belltech Part # 2005.  I have noticed that some places only picture the spindles and some places picture the kit as pictured below.  These as listed as 83-97 Nissan PU & Hardbody 2" Drop Spindle."  So I would bet these are Hardbody spindles.

Bell_Tech_2005_Spindles_Summit_Racing_Im

• Like 1

Hi Wayne!  With what kind of spacers?  I'm working on the ball joint mod again. I know some guys are going to want to use dropped spindles with them. It would actually be great to have a set on hand to work with.  I can try to make sure that the mod will work with either stock or dropped.  Thanks!!

hmmm....are they spacers that push the caliper out a bit so that the 720 rotor can be used?  I'd use the HB rotor with them....more caliper clearance with the rim.

Hey Mike, I will bring over the set with the spacers so you can use them for mocking up your ball joint conversion, will Sunday work for you?

I believe the spacers are for the early vented rotors, as the spacers are not needed on the late 720 rotors/calipers that are like the ones on the hardbody, the drop spindles cannot be used on the non-vented rotors/calipers as they are different, I brought a set of them to you a year or two ago, although with enough thought and time, I suppose someone on here could make them work with the non-vented rotors/calipers, but why when one can buy what they need at the auto parts stores, and have better brakes.

The thing I like about your disc brake kits Mike is that I can use a stock 14 inch wheel, even a 520 wheel and they will clear the rims using the HB/late 1986 720 rotor/calipers, even the Pathfinder/V6 Hardbody dual piston calipers clear the rims, that rotor is offset more than the early 83 thru 85/86? rotors.

I have the 85 rotors/calipers on the 1969 Datsun kingcab right now, and the late 620 disc brake rims clear them, I have not tried a 521 rim on that truck since transferring them 85 brakes onto it, so I don't know about the clearance yet.

• Like 2

I understand. 

I hope to start on the install on Sunday.  Maybe tomorrow afternoon if I get the garage cleaned out enough to work on the 520.  It is burried under the remains of 2 1985 720 standard cabs that were given to me after the owner removed what he wanted.

• Like 2

Did a dry run today on the drop spindles and they fit.  I looks like the wheels will be the track width as before.  I will do some more tomorrow and more descriptive write up.  I need to find some good late 720 dust shields for the spindles and order ball joints.  The ball joints are good but the upper do not have greases zerks and the boots are torn.  I am ordering tie rod ends to Cut down 1/4" to get proper toe in.

Markings on the Belltech 2005 spindles

DSC02109.jpg

Belltech drop spindle on the truck.

DSC02110.jpg

DSC02111.jpg

Stock 1980 720 spindle

DSC02112.jpg

DSC02113.jpg

• Like 3