Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I did today on my truck. I have been cleaning parts and chasing threads for days. I am finally getting to start assembling my motor to get it ready for bolting the trans to it.

DSC00564.jpg

DSC00565.jpg

DSC00566.jpg

DSC00568.jpg

Well I got motor mounts brackets, crank pulley, alternator (Saturn) and started on exhaust manifold when I noticed that the VHT flat black paint did not stick to my exhaust manifold. So I will have to sand blast it again and try a different paint. All the engine paint I have used till the exhaust manifold has been Aervoe brand and have had no problems.

• Like 2

Here is a little info on the motor rebuild. I bought 3 L20B's and 2 automatic transmissions. The reason I bought 3 motors was first I want a virgin bore, second I found 2 with automatic transmissions in trucks. The first motor I bought was already bored & sloppy W58 head. The second had an automatic transmision I wanted but when I tore it down the flex plate was bad and it had a U67 head that had stripped valve cover and stripped intake holes the block was virgin. The third motor came with another automatic transmission tear down reveal good U67 head, new flex plate, starter, distributor, alternator & carburetor. Both trans had good clean fluid in them. Had one rebuilt by Save-on transmission for $400. Keeping the other automatic for a future project.

I bought a complete 1980 720 truck for $100 for parts have not taken that L20B apart yet. sold 5 speed for $50 and gave cab & bed to my brother for helping me, scrapped his old bed, cab and all the scrap metal that came with the 720 got $74 for the scrap metal, so iv made $24 and still have a complete 1980 chassis and motor and all the interior parts.

I used Five Star Engine Rebuilders 6817 N 56th Ave # B Glendale AZ 85301 623 939-0345, five working days for complete rebuild.

Five Starr picked up motor from my house, tore down, hot tanked block, chemically washed head, brushed oil & water ports, bored, turn main 0.20 & 0.10 rod journals, all new bearings, new 0.30 over pistons, rings, timing set, reconditioned rods, new oil pump, complete gasket set (Fel Pro). Completely rebuilt head, 3 angle valve grind, new cam, seals, guides, line bored, checked all surfaces and milled as needed, painted block and timing cover, installed all new brass freeze plugs, and reassembled. This cost me $1,100. 1 year unlimited mileage guarantee. Very pleased with the service from Five Star Engines, and they are a busy shop just well organized.

I am slowly getting my motor & trans ready to put in. Before I put my motor & trans in I am going to set my cb & bed on the 1980 chassis and decide if I will run the newer chassis. Pictures to come.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Here is the start of my custom wiring diagam. I have drawn the engine compartment and most of the lighting. Next will be the interior.

I am using all Datsun/Nissan parts and wire. I have six harnesses that I am taking sections out of. I will be running stock gauges and dash with a 1980 720 AC and heater. Power windows & door locks and alarm. Eventually I hope to install cruise control so I am adding that circuit also. Also setting up for GPS, audio, video.

This diagram when I am done will print on 3 - 8.5" x 11" sheets of paper in porttrait mode. Once I start on the actual harness assembly I will edit the diagram for actual wire changes and colors used. I am drawing this diagram in SmartDraw 6. it is working better than other software I have tried.

I harvested a a power distribution center from an Infiniti Q 45 to handle my power needs.

DSC00637.jpg

DSC00638.jpg

Spagetti

DSC00639.jpg

Heres the start of the diagram

DSC01219.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good man! I was glad to see you "might" be able to loose the body lift.:cool:

I like the way your doing it though,slow and steady right?;)

That wiring harness looks like a real headache...take time to breath!:D

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Now why would I want to buy an aftermarket harness?laugh.gif :lol:laugh.gif

DSC00641.jpg

Now let the party begin!: :crying:

DSC00640.jpg

These are 4' x 8' tables, wish I had 2 more.laugh.gif

I should have it done by New Years Eve (2020). :rofl:

• Like 2

looking good Charlie. were you able to do any work over Turkey Day?

to hell with this "taking it slow" stuff, man-- I need you well out in front of me so I can copy you! :lol:

I'll do a manual transmission in my 520 though.

Say, do you have a L20B timing cover for sale? The parts truck did not come with one. (Or a radiator)

I might have missed it: Which radiator are you planning on using?

-Steve

• Like 1

Steve, I am running a new 1976 620 Radiator 3 core with the auto trams cooler tank built in. I have to drill 2 holes to make it work. I bought it from:

http://www.hawkesradiator.com/

As far as a timing cover do you mean the plate to cover the oval hole just below the valve cover on the front of the head? See Picture.

DSC00568.jpg

If this is what you are asking about I will look tomorrow. I will post a picture of the spare radiator I have. Crack heads got to it and cut out half of the core.

I have a 720 radiator but they are to wide.

Mike: I used Zynolyte High Heat 1200 degree paint.

• Like 1

Yup. thats the one. dunno if they are hard to find.. that is so far down the road that I was asking in passing, but if you got one I'll buy it from ya.

L20B.jpg

as you can tell, mine is missing off of the crusty bucket.

Do you have any better pix than what is on your PB album of the motor mounts? I would like to know what I am talking about when I have someone weld the new ones in for me. :eek:

thx for the tip on the rad. :cool: I clicked on the link and got a chat window. The guy quoted me between $99 and $299, but I must say that was some of the best online customer service I have ever had. I'll definitely bookmark them and be back if I cant find a pick-n-pull option for less.

• Like 1

Mine cost around $200 last summer and it was shipped from Colorado. I have a cutup one you could maybe get recored. there are hawkes radiators here in AZ. I am sure they will ship any where.

Also watch the parts for sale section here on Ratsun, I have seen 2 new 620 radiators for sale since I bought mine.

I will look this afternoon for that inspection cover plate.

yeah i did get your email...should be up there for that swapmeet. i was just up in phoenix the other weekend for the goodguys car show, it was awesome to say the least. hopefully ill have that five speed in there by then...knowing me i probably wont haha. well keep on with the good work, its nice to see the progress.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Hacked,

Not much progress with the truck through the Holidays. Been having some medical issues have a doctors apointment on Jan 11, which might limit any and all work on my truck for a while. We will see. I will keep every one posted.

Sudo PM me your address and I will mail you the cover plate you need for your L20B Head.

• 1 month later...

Hey Greg remember the Weber I bought from you? LOL

DSC00668.jpg

DSC00669.jpg

DSC00670.jpg

DSC00671.jpg

Well this is a good reason NOT to store your carburator with the float bowl full of water.

I am going to rebuild it. And guessing from the "high water marks" (a term usually used when talking about a lake, river, or ocean) inside the bowl the float is beyond floating. LOL

Any way I am hoping to revive the made in Spain Weber.

I will post after rebuild pictures and pictures of it installed and running or not.

I honestly think I can make it work like new with a little TLC and a big F'''ing Hammer! LOL

Stay tuned I will be posting pictures of the engine bay paint and the interior paint in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

man i cant wait to see those interior and engine bay shots. Im sure youll be able to get that webber back to new condition seeing as how you got most of your other items back to looking like new and i know youre going to take the time to rebuild that carb right like you do with anything else.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Charlie69 1966 Datsun 520 Custom Build

Well, 2 friends, Gene & Jorge, came over yesterday morning and at 4:30 PM we had successfully shoe horned the motor & trans into my truck. Now I know that I am going to do a custom firewall and mod a 1980 720 steering gear box, idler arm, center link, tie rod ends & emergency brake cable into my truck.

Problem #1: Not enough clearance between modded water pump & radiator for electric fan.

Solution: Mod firewall & move engine 1" to 2" back. Mod radiator support frame to gain 1" for electric fan & modify for AC condensor.

Problem #2: Idler arm in the way of mounting alternator.

Solution: Mod in a 1980 720 idler arm.

Problem #3: AC compressor hits steering gear box.

Solution: Mod in a 1980 720 steering gear box.

Problem #4: Brake booster & brake master cylinder hit intake & carb.

Solution: Mod firewall & move brake booster to mount where clutch master cylinder was mounted.

Problem #5: Emergency brake bell crank is in the way of the exhaust.

Solution: Mod in 1980 720 emergency brake cable.

So I have a lot of work to do before I am on the road with my truck. I will post pictures as I do the work.

• Like 1