New here, 78' 280z - race project

Z_Rac3r

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:fu: well welcome to the family, 99.9% of the time anywhere you go where theres a Z freak,

theres an instant good friend and someone to learn something new from :thumbup:

i hope to see the both of you and all you other socal and norcal heads up for canby and any other shows you can make

That is the absolute truth!!

Take John up on learning from him, he schooled me at Streets of Willow without trying!!

Love the paints scheme;)

Well Meg took a 150 mile trip & came by my house earlier tonight to pick up some free parts I offered to her. f54 block, bearing caps, cam gear sprocket, n/a 280z dizzy, oil pump shaft and oil pump.

We talked Zs for a couple hours and she seems to want to be just as much as a Z freak as myself :) She's got lots to learn, but she's ready to take it in full stride and is eager to learn.

Justin. Don't give her to many ideas or she will end up like you. Z car nut with a mean ass car that they have to tow to car shows :lol:

That is the absolute truth!!

Take John up on learning from him, he schooled me at Streets of Willow without trying!!

Love the paints scheme;)

Yea and I school ya at MSA this year to:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sticker looks awesome.

Love the car.

You and Skibs car almost make me want to primer mine.

You are an amazing female.

Unfortunately for us there isn't many like you.

Keep those nails dirty.

:lol:

Good luck with the career.

Working on CLEAN motors, parts, ect. is so much more fun.

Experimental aircraft are killer.

And get a ride in a Pitts s2a, or something.

If you like roller coasters, you'll LOVE it.

Wow! Awesome story behind your Z! Your Z is coming along nicely! It's impressive not just 'cus you're a chick... but the dedication you had in resurrecting this Z! :)

I had a '78 280Z myself that I regret selling...

Jet engines are fun. I work on oversized jet engines... Quite oversizes lol ge 7fa and 7fe

The last engineer I was working with worked for ge's military division for quite a few years before he moved over to power generation. He had some good stories. I think you will enjoy working on aircraft engines. There is a ton of precision and a lot of pride working with turbines and such. Even these huge honkers I work on require extreme precision.

Heres the stators or a 7fe which is a baby compared to the a.

http://www.nwstarquest.com/apm-6-8-08-7fe01.jpg

heres a pic of a 7fa

http://www.ctpartsco.com/images/7FA%20Gas%20Turbine%20Module.JPG

Edited by City Hunter

So I spent my whole day wetsanding the Z :) Turned out very nice, although the blue paint is thinner then I thought so I'll end up redoing all of that. I was already going to do it a littler darker but heck... now I've got an excuse to paint it orange like I originally wanted to, hehe I'll photoshop up the knew paint scheme, order paint tomorrow and hopefully within the next month have her all shiney and new lookin :D;) I mostly just sanded the black today, just thought Id share how I'm spending my weekend... rubbing down the z. hehe

wetsanding2.jpg

Sorry the front end is a little dirty forgot to wipe some of the gross blue water off of her. Didn't notice it until I was trimming the picture. :mellow:

wetsanding1.jpg

Still needs some polish :) then I will post update pics or something. and yeah Im doing the other half of the car tomorrow. :blink: another 13 hours straight of wetsanding

wetsanding3.jpg

^ What a nice ass :D

haha everyone asks me that, and i stripped the car... there is NOTHING on the other side, so I have no clue, it was there when I got the car. Does anyone know???

oh and next to the lock on the hatch, is all sanded to metal because I was fixing a rust spot.

I've seen some 'ol skool alarm systems that had a lock like that to disarm it. :confused:

13 hours of wetsanding, huh? I bet you have no fingerprints left, hehe...

Sweet custom plates by the way! :thumbup:

Edited by hughdogz
whats that a lock under your side marker?

I'm guessing it unlocks the side marker? :lol:

that's the least of the fun facts of her Z right now, which I had the pleasure of riding in through the hills of Santa Barbara when I went to visit last week. I don't know how she does it as a daily driver with no gauges in there at all, let alone NO dash, not just that but absolutely NO interior at all, all gutted, except 2 seats, steering wheel and the ignition.

The drive was nice though on some twisty roads and the view was amazing.

Edited by 280zForce
...I don't know how she does it as a daily driver with no gauges in there at all, not just that but absolutely NO interior, all gutted, except 2 seats, steering wheel and the ignition.

Seriously? Well Megan just got +50 more rep points from me! :D

I don't have any working Tach or Speedo (gas gauge kinda works) in my 260z. It doesn't matter much, I just use the 'ol "Use the Force" and haven't been pulled over in 6 years :rolleyes:

Edited by hughdogz

No dash eh? I did that for a while, just had a gauge panel rivited to the floor with a few gauges and some switches. And yes, it was in my DD. I ended up getting tired of it and restored the old dash and put that in...I guess I'm getting old? (haha, I'm 23)

Nice Z though. I was wondering with all this talk of engine work, what have you done to the suspension. I see that you are running Azenis, so at least you have some good rubber under her. IMO, a good track/auto-x car starts with suspension and brake work and power comes later. I always enjoyed tearing up Corvette's at the tight auto-x's with less than 100hp.