Whats the best blasting media for paint and rust removal?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

turn the pressure low and either use glass or nutshell (acorn/walnut works best.)

havent warped a single panel yet and i mostly use glass as its easy to come bye and well...that makes it better to me lol. :lol:

I've blasted 2 cars + numerous parts with my Harbor Freight special. Used #30 mesh sand ($4 a 50lb bag) @ 90 psi. Never warped a thing. Key is to keep it moving. Never stay in one place very long. If you build an enclosure to trap the sand, you can use it about 3 times before it's dust. Just "filter" it with a sieve. A good HEPA facemask is your friend!

Mark

i use silica sand, stuff kinda explodes on impact. i found with my princess auto blast cabinet, i had to silicon all the seams as i built it. it leaked otherwise and sprayed very fine dust everywhere. nut shells wont take rust off as effectivly as sand. shells are really only good on body panels where it may warp in a high pressure stand in booth.

i was told not to ever use sand it will trap moisture in side the metal. I was told to always use a bead or silica type bead.I guess the sand has a little drop of water/moisture in the middle holding it all together and when it hit the metal it gets pounded in to the surface. I don't know some oooolllllddd ass body guy jumper my shit at the paint store one day and everyone behind the counter agreed with him . so i have never used a sand myself

Okay so everyone should know that my business is rust repair! AND I USE SAND! it is cheap as hell and it is the only thing IMO that will get the metal completely clean! once you have blasted it if the metal is not one uniform color it is not clean. If you move fast and keep the nozzle far enough away you will not warp anything. sand is extremely cheap and reusable depending on what kind you get. My .02

I'm with 510er here. Hunter, I went to Mason's Supply on SE 7th near SE Division and bought bags of green abrasive sand #20/50 grit and with a stupid little cheap gun thing, stripped a bunch of stuff.It is slow but it get into places that you can't sand by hand.

I went through a couple of bags of sand @ $5 before I figured out that I could put down plastic in the driveway and run the stuff back through a window screen to re use it. New sand cuts better, but used sand is more gentle so I keep two separate 5 gal buckets for different applications.

Eye protection and paint respirator is a must!

There is a place over on 82nd that does media stripping and for what they charge it it is a deal, unless you are like me and don't have the five bucks for a bag of sand in the first place. Reet. :D

DSCN3174.jpg

DSCN3177.jpg

we use soda here at the body shop i manage, easy clean up, washes off with water, great on rust, use a regular dust mask, bio degradeable, and washes off concrete easily..:D, and no warpage, takes off body filler, rust, grime etc...we do all the old vehicles with it..:D