NB's 720 Build Thread

Update again. Got it rebuilt. Took out the chrome windshield center thing. Apparently all it is is a block off plate for a RHD wiper setup. Wheel cylinders went out on me about a week ago. Got those replaced with the shoes. Jeremy (sssr20det510) tuned my carb for me (thanks again), so now all I gotta do is fix a oil leak around the timing chain cover and its done for awhile, other then getting my rollpan finally painted.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's been a while since I updated this so after bluelake I got doors, hood, cowl, and fenders from a copper 720; the valence from a dark brown 720; and a core support and front bumper from a blue 720. The core support was bent in an accident before I got the truck and the right front corner was sagging so I got the front end tore apart but I left it driveable until I absolutely have to remove the core support since when the core support goes away I will be re-sealing the timing cover, oil pan, and oil dipstick tube. This is how she sits now, soon as I get the support off, a update will follow.

0823101831.jpg

• 2 years later...

Holy un-updated thread batman. Since it's my own, I guess it's ok for a...2 and a half year bump. Since the last post, I have finished replacing the core support, drove it for awhile, bought a second car, blew the head gasket, fixed the head gasket in 5 hours on a wintery night (literally, it was snowing when I was done), developed rod knock for about half a mile, rod number 1 tried to exit his home (no homo), and parked it. I sence ran across a old photoshop I did of my plans and it was enough to breathe new life to getting her running and driving. I have scrapped the KA-T idea and am selling all I have for it (at least one complete block and a second parts one). I am looking for a Z24 block to replace mine that has more holes then it needs. I have a mild build planned (high compression pistons and a Nismo cam to be paired with my 32/36). I will have this running by Canby next year, no questions asked. Yes, that's a long time, but I'm getting married in September and the holidays start soon after that so I think Canby is a reasonable goal. I didn't take too many pictures apparently, but here's what I have.

IMG_0509.jpg

Getting picked up after the engine released a rod. Interweb beer for who guesses where this was taken correctly!

IMG_0511.jpg

Hole in the block (Driver side)

IMG_0513.jpg

Oil Pan dent (pretty sure it's a crack/hole, haven't looked yet.

IMG_0512.jpg

Close up of hole. Pretty sure that's rod #1 obstructing your view of the crankshaft.

So watch for this thing to be back running around Vancouver soon!

• Like 1

Where do you plan on getting your cam?

I'm probably gonna have Delta Cam make a replica of the Nismo camshaft if I can't find a reasonably priced OEM one. I've been reading reviews on them and don't see any huge problems as long as I ask them to use my core for the regrind, not to mention that they're local enough that shipping won't kill me (if I ship it).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to jesusno2 I have a Z24 that's ready for a rebuild. I've been doing some research and have my mind set on the bottom end. KA24E pistons (with valve reliefs cut) mated to the Z24 rods (question, for that do I press in the old Z wrist pins or use the KA wrist pins?). Nothing huge or special, but enough to raise the compression. Nothing now but to disassemble and rebuild! 

IMG_7009.jpg

Oic of new (to me) engine. Thanks again jesusno2!

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

Ok, so nothing new has happened except for the planning of the rebuild which has evolved into more then just pistons. You know how life gets in the way of itself. I do have some questions for the guys who have rebuilt these things.

1) Is the best head gasket to go with OEM or is there someone who has come up with a "better" one?

2) Same question, but for the main and rod bearings.

3) What is the paint code for that OE blue on the blocks?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Great engine builders and overall guru's of Ratsun, I need some advice/warning/idea's/etc. for my build I'm doing. My plan is....

KA Dome top pistons

ARP Head Studs

Nismo Timing Chain Tensioner 13710-N7120 (if it's still being sold)

Nismo Spec Camshaft

Nismo Adjustable Camshaft Pulley (if I can find one)

Lightened Flywheel

280Z Water Pump w/ electric fan

Weber 38

Pacesetter Exhaust Manifold

Not too much, but enough to make it my own and fun. I know that the KA rods are narrower then the Z rods, will this affect strength? I know that I will need the pistons clearanced for the valves. Is there anything I'm missing? Anything I haven't thought of? Help me out here guys.

• 2 months later...

Oh it's funny how plans change and evolve over time. Oh well. Lastest plan is in the works, essentially get this bi*ch running again so I can drive her. I miss it =/ But I do have a classified up of extra Z24 parts and a few body parts. Help fund the addiction. 

• 1 month later...

Old, but still being updated! Block is honed, decked, cleaned with new coolant plugs. Head is surfaced, cleaned, and pressure checked. Pistons have been cleaned and verified correct bore. I need recommendations for people who can cut valve reliefs local to Vancouver, WA. Willing to travel a bit if I have to or if the price is right.

Twodoordime, 195/55/15 in the front and 205/55/15 in the rear. Hauls whatever I need without too much complaint. Haules a quad over the mountain range no problem, but I am on the bump stops. Not the overloads though. 2" blocks in the rear and cranked down torsion bars in the front.

• Like 1

Not yet. Life keeps getting in the way. The wife and I are trying to get a place of our own (preferably with a garage) so it's been pushed to the back burner at the moment. But I put money into it when I can and move forward. Goal for completion is Canby 2015.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

Still around and still aiming for Canby 2015! I don't think it will be fully tuned or fully broke in, but I want to drive it there.

So I've got all my parts ordered and on the way with the exception of any machine work that needs done...which is where my question lies. I'm going to be a larger "racing" camshaft from Isky Camshafts and am not sure to which hole to use on the cam gear. During disassembly it was at hole #1 having one head surfacing done. Since then the head and block have been surfaced minimaly (.005"). Going back together I'm not sure if I need hole #1 again or if I'll need to jump to hole #2 or #3. Anyone have any insight to this? Maybe Mike? Also, I'm assuming that the different holes give the cam a different amount of degree. Does anyone have the specs for the degreeing? My quick google search at work has yielded no results.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, since the last post a lot has happened....

IMAG1116.jpg

She came home after 2 years...

IMAG1137.jpg

Got her old, broken heart ripped out...

IMAG1153.jpg

and got her new thumper in place! Complete with electric fan conversion.

IMAG1152.jpg

Now she waits for me to come home tomorrow and fill her with fluids and wire in the fans. Canby or Bust!

• Like 4