H190 questions

Icehouse

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hhmmmm......I do?? :) What exactly is the question?

When I first started, I was told that the trucks had steel carriers and the wgns had the aluminum ones.....but ALL the trucks I've come across have had aluminum carrier housings......including the '66 520's I've had. I'll be getting an up close, personal look at a 320 diff tomorrow...I'm pretty sure it's aluminum too. Maybe the roadsters were steel?? I have yet to see a steel one and I have close to a dozen diffs around here right now.

I've never heard of a gear ratio lower than 4.89 on an H190 diff......but I'm no Datsunaholic.....so don't take that to mean anything.....it's just what I know.

Paul Kort and Jim Sloan from Ohio posted a list of all the H190's that had 4.89's in them.....that was on the ClassicDatsunPickup forum on yahoo. I don't have the list handy.

Actually, I'm pretty sure 'aholic has posted the info on nwde before.

I'll try to remember to post what I find from the 320 diff tomorrow. I know the rearend is roughly 3" narrower, but the carrier appears to be an H190.

The blue one....minus a couple of things I needed. I've been driving it up and down my driveway! :) No clutch or brake m/c...I crank it over in gear, it starts right up, runs til I shut if off...compression stop it in it's tracks. In fact, it did a compression scratch once :)

I was simply going to measure the mounting diameter and then see if the carrier housing looked the same. hhhmmm.....actually, I need to pull at least one axle off my 320 diff....so I'll pull both and then pull the carrier. Might be a day or two before I can go that far on the diff.

All 320s had a version of the H190 but it's not the same as the ones used in the 520+. The diff in the 320 uses straight-cut side gear splines, and isn't metric.

No Datsun truck (at least 320+, the 220 may have had taller gears) ever had a higher than 4.88 gear ratio stock. 320s, 520s, L521s all had the 4.88, as did SOME (not all) '73s.

There are several versions of the H190:

Original H190: Used in vehicles 1965 and older.

H190ML: More common version, 1966-mid 80s, except '70-73 trucks and all Roadsters.

H190AL: Aluminum version of the ML. Found in Roadsters and '70-73 trucks

H190A: Found in 720s starting in the mid 80s.

The ML and AL had 3 different side gear splines- Truck-size, Roadster-size, and 510 Wagon size. The diffs are interchangeable but the side gears have to be swapped when changing vehicle application.

The 5.xxx gear ratio was a NISMO rock-crawler option, not a factory-installed ratio.

Maybe. I know parts from the ML/AL can be swapped but the original is another story. The side gears are vastly different, and the diff in the 320 isn't metric (fasteners and such). That's why I plan to swap the entire axle on my 320- plus it makes getting wheel cyinders easier. I'll have to get different wheels though, the 620 rear I plan to use is wider.

Ryan's 1973 truck had an aluminum housing. It was much lighter weight than Ryan.

They are 4.88

wait a minute Bleach, did you just say that Ryan weight was 4.88 ton..oh wait a minute that could be Metric weight, or wait a minute..oh man you made my head hurt.... Take the 4.88's outta there and put in an 89 nissan rear end...I was told they are 3:70s and my rpms dropped almost 1500 r's at 65 mph(on the speedo..that actually is almost 75 real time...I never got around to messin with the speedo drive in the trans..............Darn, I still can't get over Ryan weighin that much...LOL

no, no... I just said that the aluminum housing on the H190 weighs less than Ryan. I think he's in the upper 100's in pounds. :D 180-190 or so is my guess.

He put a 4.375 in there last I heard because the 4.88 gears blew up. Steve wuz there.

He also has taller tires than stock and a truck 5-speed. I think he's doing ok gearwise... the 620 is still his daily driver

Hey Bleach, just me "funnin with u"..met Ryan at the Japaneese Classic Car Show in Long Beach last Sept so I know he "ain't a bigun" LOL....Wonder if that 5 speed with the 4:375s would be similar to my 4 speed with the 3:70s..I recall his tires are a lot taller than mine tho..........mine being 215-70-14................oh well anyway just me being me.......................(I am and always will be a smart ass !!)

.. Take the 4.88's outta there and put in an 89 nissan rear end...I was told they are 3:70s and my rpms dropped almost 1500 r's at 65 mph(on the speedo..that actually is almost 75 real time...I never got around to messin with the speedo drive in the trans....

The best way to keep the speedo accurate is to grab the speedo pinion out of the trans from the vehicle that you got the rear end out of. They are a matched set. I know this isn't always possible and an '89 into a 620 might not work.

Hey Bleach, just me "funnin with u"..met Ryan at the Japaneese Classic Car Show in Long Beach last Sept so I know he "ain't a bigun" LOL....Wonder if that 5 speed with the 4:375s would be similar to my 4 speed with the 3:70s..I recall his tires are a lot taller than mine tho..........mine being 215-70-14................oh well anyway just me being me.......................(I am and always will be a smart ass !!)

Would 5th gear with a 4.375 rear be the same as 4th gear with 3.70?

5th gear is .813 for most truck 5 spds, so 1-.813=.187 so 4.375-.187=4.18:1 final drive. This is a total guess as to how to do this, but seems close to me. Does anyone know for sure how to calc this?