Opinion

My friend says he wants to buy a new used car. He cant decide what to buy. So im telling him my opinion. The choices are

2001 Honda S2k-10,500

2001 Ford Mustang-5,500

2003 Mazda Miata SE-10,000

I tell him either go with the Mustang and just hook it up with exhaust, intake for starters. Or The S2k. I don't know, i asked my other friend he says the S2k. I told him I would ask your guys opinion and then hopefully have a better idea of what to buy. So help my friend out. His name is Horacio.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For 5,500 he can get an exceptionally nice and rare vintage Datsun. With modern EFI engine even. That's my advice.

Comments on the choices above:

S2000 -- if he wants to drive through twisty mountain roads primarily

Mustang V8 -- if he wants to accelerate quickly. Best bang/buck

Miata -- sooo 1990s...

LOL

For 5,500 he can get an exceptionally nice and rare vintage Datsun. With modern EFI engine even. That's my advice.

I would do it. But sad thing is he likes early 1990 Nissan more than Datsuns. So i dount he would do that. Worth a shot.

I just called him and he says well he likes to go fast. But i think after the comment

Mustang if you want to buy a brick that can't turn
I think it stopped his thinking on that. Now he wants to know your comments on a

2001 BMW 323 coupe

the S2000 and the miata

Mustang if you want to buy a brick that can't turn

Whoever said that has probably never driven a newer Mustang GT. They handle and corner very well (I've had three late-model Mustang 5-liter cars). Sure an S2000 is better but it should be for twice the price. 14 second quarter miles in factory trim, very very quick make a newer Mustang a bargain.

If you friend is afraid of what others may think, skip the Mustang and the Miata. Some will badmouth those cars. Skip Datsuns too, you have to be your own man (as they say) to Drive a Datsun.

bimmer..... he'll most likely turn elitist asshole after buying it. happens to MOST people. now i wouldn't mind a 88-91 325IX but then again thats me. all in all good cars though.

S2K.... its a honda. could be fun but then again, honda... even though i wouldn't mind one.

miata..... two words.... monster miata! :D

Monster Miata -- a miata with v8

he wants to know your comments on a

2001 BMW 323 coupe

Well it seems like every magazine in the world for 30 years or so has said the 3-series is the best-handling *sedan* in the world.

Why does your friend want our opinions? Every car mentioned so far is a "good" car in some way. Is he interested in Reliability? Handling? Resale value? Cool factor? As a group we are all interested in Datsuns but he doesn't want one. Hmmm...

forget the 2001 323 bmw

if you want a 3 series get a 95 m3 cheap and fin fast handles damn good too. also lots of aftermarket for it. (i say 95 because of the pre obd2 and the ability to play with the ecu)

now if you want my nickel and dime he likes earlie 90s nissan's right

go find a nice low millage 92 or 93 300zx tt 300 horse and they handle ok.

(honestly with a little more boost you dont need the handling just more straight)

p.s. boost is the most addictive and expensive drug ive ever tried.

I don't think its sad he likes early 90's nissan. z32 TT 5spd was the funnest car I have ever owned or driven, ever.

There is something to be said for a 10k rpm tach out and the highest hp to Liter engine ever produced as well. I just find the s2k uncomfortable as hell, wtf is with the door sills being so high? Bogus

The spoon hard top is sex too, it makes the s2k look like what a new s30 should look like. Contrary to the gross concept pics nissan put out.

297.jpg

Out of the choices I think a TRUE driver picks the miata. That car is all fun although short on balls.

hence why i said what i did. :) or even a nicely built turbo motor in it would be a blast.

Yep, I'm in full agreement. :-)

One of my dream porjects is a wide body mx5 with a uz and itbs.

1.jpg

THOR_UZ_Race_Engine2.JPG

"If I had a million dollars...."

Mustangs V8's. Plenty of power. And dang near any of them can be made to handle VERY well. Even '64's. Skip the 1970-1973 land yachts. HUGE after market support.

Miata. TINY Girl's car. Handles well, no HP. Top of the line is still slow. 510 with KA would outrun it.

Try changing plugs in one with a V8 in it.

S2000. Not 100% practical. 100% bad ass. High Insurance.

BMW. Hugely expensive to own and maintain.

Predominantly Elitist overpriced garbage, or extremely poorly maintained by wishful thinkers owning cars they CAN'T afford, even the 3 series.

Although I just saw an early 1970's 2002ti with a mild wide body kit and twin Weber's that was amazing.

Nice owner, too, but both of those happening at once is the extreme rarity, not the norm.

Tell him to buy a 240Z with a 2.8L turbo/5 speed conversion for 5-6K.

Ten second cars are out there for that, that handle better than any of the others he listed.

Edited by agentalpha

I've driven all three. Mustangs are ok. You can make them handle and make them fast...but they are a horrible investment. Miatas handle great and can be made faster...but they are everywhere and are tagged a "chick car". Although a Monster Miata would be pretty fun. The S2K is fast, handles well and isn't really, really common. The buy-in is a little steep and the insurance is high but so is the resale. If I had to choose from the three -- I'd go S2K. If I had a $5-10K budget and was looking for a sports car, I would look for an early 240. Preferably a series 1. I would look for completeness and lack of rust. The less molested the better. I'd do a cosmetic restoration and shelf the original engine/transmission in favor of a stroker and 5-speed. Hang some struts, springs, bars and brakes and have fun. That car would be reversible to stock and would always increase in value. JUST DON'T WRECK IT!

Whoever said that has probably never driven a newer Mustang GT. They handle and corner very well (I've had three late-model Mustang 5-liter cars). Sure an S2000 is better but it should be for twice the price. 14 second quarter miles in factory trim, very very quick make a newer Mustang a bargain.

If you friend is afraid of what others may think, skip the Mustang and the Miata. Some will badmouth those cars. Skip Datsuns too, you have to be your own man (as they say) to Drive a Datsun.

They ride on leaf springs. I think the Roush ones have some upgraded suspension, but unless the brand new ones that aren't out yet have changed, they're on outdated suspension and handle like garbage.

Miata's are great fun little cars, but you'll look a bit camp driving one.

If he can find a 325i or is, go for it. They're wonderful.

Can you even buy a 2001 Mustang GT for $5,500? I figured it would be a beat up V6 for that price... or a GT with 213,000 miles on it

I drove a couple different V6 mustangs. Stock suspension and they both sucked. Soft ride and the rear end likes to come around really easy. Must have all the weight up front. My non turbo Z was faster too.

Can you even buy a 2001 Mustang GT for $5,500? I figured it would be a beat up V6 for that price... or a GT with 213,000 miles on it

I drove a couple different V6 mustangs. Stock suspension and they both sucked. Soft ride and the rear end likes to come around really easy. Must have all the weight up front. My non turbo Z was faster too.

Leaf springs, no lsd, and a solid rear axle will do that to you.

dood seriously if your even thinking american get a friggin vet or and old ass mopar! they always go up in price.

I had a 66 coronet 500 with a 440 that would blow the doors off an s2k (as long as it was pointed straight) but dam that car was like riding in an arm chair. i sold it for almost 4 k more then what i bought it for.

Idk if I would call it weird, it actually seems more logical, to me anyway. I feel they keep it because it works well and has been proven over half a century, same reason they are using a pushrod motor.

Mustangs CAN handle well, I remember hearing the stock entry level Saleen foxbody+ broke 1g. Meaningless in this case for sure but just saying, even shopping carts can handle well given the proper upgrades.