Let's see some machine work

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a power feed for the x. I need to put it back together. The circuit board fried in it right after I got it. I'd recommend staying away from the HF power feed. I think the Enco is a better piece.

stubscar002.jpg

Took this one a couple days ago. Just really like the pic for some reason.

stubscar005.jpg

And the finished product. The subi to Z car side axles. Finished and shipped.

Figured I'd finally add some machine work to the thread. I don't have the hot setup the other guys do, my mill is 100% manual.

Done a lot of Machining over the past week or so, figured I'd share it with everyone.

As some of you know I'm already running a modified Maxima intake on my VG30. I got another one and decided to really go crazy on it. Here's a pic of what it originally looks like:

PICT0021-2.jpg

PICT0017-2.jpg

I cut off the idle solenoid mounting boss:

PICT0024-2.jpg

Some of these are a bit out of order, but here's the EGR hole welded up and milled down. The weld wasn't enough and had to be re-cut again later.

09170001-2.jpg

This pic was done a some time ago, and the manifold used for a while, before the next picture was taken.

Then the EGR stuff, including the inner valve assemblies. You can also see I shaved off the "NISSAN" from the top of the cover, and milled flat all the other bosses on the side of the manifold:

100_1351-2.jpg

Here's me cutting the "Datsun OHC" out of a valve cover:

100_1356-2.jpg

100_1358-2.jpg

100_1362-2.jpg

Then milling a relief into the Maxima intake:

100_1363-2.jpg

So it can accept the "Datsun OHC" lettering:

100_1364-2.jpg

Nice job Rat Dat. Make sure you post some more pic's when your done.

• 4 months later...

Rat Dat....great stuff! Not sure how I missed that. I had similar probs with welding the valve cover I was modding...which still needs to be finished :(

So, I'm working on an adapter plate to put a Weber DFV onto my E1 in the NL. Most of the build is in the carb swap thread( http://community.ratsun.net/topic/23024-e1-carb-swap/page__view__findpost__p__328029 ), but this is actual machine work.....thought I'd put it here instead :)

th_100_5668.jpg

th_100_5669.jpg

th_100_5670.jpg

If this piece were to be subjected to a lot more torque, I may not have done it this way, but to drill a couple of holes...no prob. Basically, the piece did not have parallel sides. The side against the socket was at a pretty fair angle. The clamp is really rigid, so it won't twist like a bench vise and absorb the difference. The socket allows it to be clamped pretty dang tightly without having to mill the one side parallel first. :)

100_3397.jpg

If this piece were to be subjected to a lot more torque, I may not have done it this way, but to drill a couple of holes...no prob. Basically, the piece did not have parallel sides. The side against the socket was at a pretty fair angle. The clamp is really rigid, so it won't twist like a bench vise and absorb the difference. The socket allows it to be clamped pretty dang tightly without having to mill the one side parallel first. :)

100_3397.jpg

You crack me up Mike. I would have never thought of that. Now I'm going to have to go out in the shop and try it.

• 1 month later...

Not really much, but maybe if I post something in this thread, someone else will post something cool! :)

Took me way longer to figure out how to hold these accurately than it did to mill them. They're caliper brackets for Driven's motorcycle.....something about putting spoke wheels on a bike with aluminum ones....you'll have to ask him :)

100_4058.jpg

100_4059.jpg

100_4060.jpg

100_4062.jpg

100_4063.jpg

OOOOO I like this thrad. I'm gonna post up pics of my adventures in the Notre Dame machine shop when i get the chance.

Awesome! Looking forward to it!! I've been to the book store on that campus...years ago!!! Still have a refrig magnet from it :)

i wanna make parts like this :(

You can do it!!! I got this in a fortune cookie...it's taped over my desk....

"A wish changes nothing. A decision changes everything!"

Basically, anything you really want is simply a decision away. I don't have a savings account, a bling house or a bling car....but I gots me some tools to be able to do what I really love to do :)

• 3 months later...

if you really want somthing to post I guuuessss I could give you some of my stuff to machine

:rofl:

Too funny! :) .....although you are correct :) I've got quite a list of "to do's" already and with our entire building getting rearranged, I'll be working a ton of overtime in the next couple of months...and going to a school....I'll be pretty busy :(