Let's see some machine work

I thought Ice started a thread for this back when he did the welding thread....but I can't find it. If a Mod knows where's it's at, please combine them :)

So, Ice asked me about using the rotary table on the mill. I figured, this way, I could put up more info without killing the Mend thread.

Will the rotary make a perfect circle on the mill??? Basically, yes. It's not "perfect" compared to a lathed hole, but if you don't have a cnc to run the bed for you, it's the way to go. If you need a 3" or so hole to be really accurate, then you'd used a boring head like a did with the valve cover mod. You could use a rotary table for cutting down a hub to clear a wheel's inside diameter, but not to actually surface the mounting surface.

Here's some pics of a perfect use for the rotary :)

DCP_8382.jpg

DCP_8385.jpg

DCP_8387.jpg

DCP_8388.jpg

DCP_8393.jpg

I didn't need the rotary for drilling the holes in the last shot, but being able to hold the parts in the jig was a lot faster and easier. If I had a ton of the tabs to do, I'd set up a stop(small clamp) on the vise and that would go even faster since changing the part would be faster.

Since I have the digital readouts(DRO) on the mill, when I have the table set for center on the rotaty, I can set an SDM(sub-datum memory) with those positions ....x/y zero'd, then I can move the table to the vise if I want and then recenter the rotary. To recenter, you'd simply go to the SDM # you set for center and then dial x/y to zero

I modified the tab jig a bit to make things go a lot faster.

100_1342.jpg

100_1343.jpg

To finish off the holes in the tabs I countersunk the holes a bit. I countersink the first one to the depth I want, then turn the drill off...put the counter sink back down and set the depth stop.....now the rest of the tabs will get beveled to the same depth :)

100_1344.jpg

Edited by mklotz70
  • Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So...for drilling the holes, the rotary needs to be centered, but for rounding off the ends of the tabs, only one axis is centered, the other is offset by the radius of the circle you are trying to make......in this case, it's offset to the side of the tab. Then the center of the rotary spins the part. If the tab were 1", the x axis would be offset by 1/2", plus half the dia. of the cutter(3/4 in roughing in this case). For what I was doing, eyeballing it to the side of the tab was close enough :)

Hard to tell in the pics, but there's a plug in the the bottom of the tab jig. It is the diameter of the center hole on the rotary and goes into a hole in the jig. When I put the jig back on, the plug lines the jig back up on center of the table. I turn the slots to line up to the T slots and bolt it down. Since the hole for the plug is 3/4" and the cutter is as well.....I simply move the table until the cutter drops into the hole....then my table is centered and I can start making parts.

Here's some more detail on the plug for centering the plates for the counter boring operation.

The marks around the edge are from when the cutter was too loose and got pulled down too far into the work. :( Normally, the top of the plug is well below the cutter and doesn't get touched.

100_1345.jpg

100_1346.jpg

100_1347.jpg

Basically, you do the same thing as with the tabs.....only it's the inside diameter you want. With the rotary centered on the y axis, the x axis will get moved to the radius you want, minus half the cutter. I think it's better for the cutter to cut with the side instead of the bottom, so I set the depth and leave it. Once the cutter touches the inside of the hole, I move the x some more to take a .020-.030 cut. I think I actually went up to .050, you just don't turn the table quite as fast. Since I had found the diameter I wanted first and set an SDM point for it, I was able to just keep moving the x as I rotated the table...a pass at a time. Move x in for the amount of cut you want, then rotate the table until the entire circumference is cut....then move x again, then rotate again. On a bigger mill, you might be able to cut the entire amount at one time, but the mill will flex with really heavy cuts....so I have to take 3-4 cuts where a Bridgeport could do it in one. By about the 3rd or 4th rotation, I was at zero on the x axis....so I finished the rotation and then moved the x axis so the cutter would be inside the hole again, lifted the spindle(which I have a caliper style dro on....changed out the part....dropped the z axis back to zero, moved the x until the cutter touched and started over again :)

100_1348.jpg

Since we're on the plates. ADrummond got me hooked up with the laser cutting, but he didn't think the holes would be clean enough. So, he made this jig and cnc'd them before I got them. He then gave me the jig. Now, I can clamp the jig to the table, find center on the plate(don't need to) with the reference hole. I can also find center on each of the three holes. If I save each as an SDM, I can go back to each of those positions for the next set of plates just be calling up each of the SDM's. For example.....if I find center on the first hole and set x/y at zero on SDM 100(it will hold 200 different points, so this is just an arbitrary number for an example), I can move the table all I want. I simply pull up SDM 100 again on the DRO and dial the x/y axis' to zero. Once they're at zero....I can drill hole 1 again. So if I set SDM's 100, 101, 102 for each of the holes, I can pull up 101 and drill hole two first if I feel like it. Anyway.........

100_1349.jpg

Edited by mklotz70

Damn MK. You need a job? I could use someone with your talent. I have guy's working for me that would have no idea what to do with a rotary table :lol: But with CNC equip you don't really need one. You have some true old school talent there. Good work, nice to see you doing that at home :cool:

• Like 1

I know we have a handful of machinists out there so PLEASE add to this!!! I love looking at mill/lathe projects!!! I try to keep my camera(love the new one!!!) in my pocket or close by when I'm making stuff. Maybe we can even get some cnc vids? :)

Funny....I was just thinking of you when I posted the last one!!!

You don't know how bad I'd love to say Yes to that question!!!!!!!! That really means a lot to me! Thank you! I'm not a real machinist, but I guess since I'm making chips, I kinda am one :) I'd love to learn cnc....there's some stuff that's pretty much impossible on the manual machines. I've thought about converting my machines, but it will be a few years!

Funny....I was just thinking of you when I posted the last one!!!

I'm not a real machinist,

What the hell do you call it then? Boy to be so humble, Anyway I guess I need to have my camera at the shop so I can post some pic's of the stuff I make. I think you would get a big kick out of it.

Damn M, you da MAN! You gonna do any 510 parts? :D

Maybe...there's so much already available for them, there's not much left to figure out.

What the hell do you call it then? Boy to be so humble, Anyway I guess I need to have my camera at the shop so I can post some pic's of the stuff I make. I think you would get a big kick out of it.

I figure a "real" machinist figures out cut rates and speeds and and knows the best way to cut something. For the most part...I kinda bumble along :)

camera......YES you do and YES I would!!!! :)

....if I had the money, I'd probably give up the room for this!!......

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/957809283.html

Edited by mklotz70

I have some pictures, that I need to hunt down, of pieces I did on lathes and mills (manual and cnc), cnc plasma and even some robotic PLC... I think I left all those pictures on my school drive which by now are bye bye:mad: but I'll give it a look see. Oh I know I have my complete 3C led flashlight I made on a manual lathe from bar stock aluminum. I'll just edit this later...

Hey mike, I also have a mill at my house. Time flies by when your out there milling away......pretty soon 3-4 hours have slipped past and you don't even know it. I've done wheel spacers, adapter plates for an intake, and also modified intakes. I've done more, but those are probably the biggest. I'll post a couple pics when I get time.

Always wanted a rotary table too, but they aren't cheap!

Cool...I'll look forward to pics from both of you!!

here's where I got mine. I figured I'd needed the capability more than the accuracy, so I went with cheap. So far, it's worked great for what I've used it for. I just can't see spengind $400 for a rotary when I'm only going to use it a couple of times a year. A couple of machinist friends tried to talk me out of getting one.....I'm really glad I went ahead and got it!!!!

http://www.lathemaster.com/ROTARYTABLE1.htm

I got the indexing plates with it....wish I would have gotten a tailstock for it too. Maybe soon :) I've figured out in my head how to re-spline axle shafts on the short bed. Now, I just need to learn how to do all that :) I'd love to narrow the rear end on the NL and fit 10" rubber back there. :)

Those are some cool pieces. Ill try and snap some pics at work. Im a machinist by trade, and my company builds CNC wood routers and plasma torch tables. I learned on manuals, and now am doing the CNC stuff. I can hand program, but dont know cad/cam stuff yet.

Here is one of the machines I learned on when I was younger ;)

DSC_0071.JPG

meandsomeparts005.jpg

Just a few parts I have made over the years.

meandsomeparts008.jpg

Light for aircraft

meandsomeparts007.jpg

meandsomeparts002.jpg

Fitting for an oil well pump

meandsomeparts001.jpg

Input shaft for a gear box

meandsomeparts009.jpg

meandsomeparts010.jpg

This is used for assy of micro chips

capsparts003.jpg

pinions for a gear set.

capsparts005.jpg

Valves for an oil well

Edited by datrod

Sweet!!!! Here are a few things I've built, I'm slowing learning how to be a machinist :D I really enjoy building parts though :D

I built this guy to hold the pulley :D

lathe%20015.JPG

lathe%20014.JPG

The pulley was super easy to turn down once I got to that step :blink:

IMG_0420.JPG"

So much better than grinding a perfect circle!!!

IMG_0646.JPG

That little guy was a learning experience!!!!

Anyone who has dual carbs on a dime will appreciate this!! stupid master cylinder :fu:

todays%20pics%20027.JPG

todays%20pics%20028.JPG

todays%20pics%20029.JPG

todays%20pics%20030.JPG

Anyone who has dual carbs on a dime will appreciate this!! stupid master cylinder :fu:

todays%20pics%20027.JPG

todays%20pics%20028.JPG

todays%20pics%20029.JPG

todays%20pics%20030.JPG

Jeff did you cut it in half and machine the base to fit the shortned horn or did you make it in 2 pieces...either way they are cool

Jeff did you cut it in half and machine the base to fit the shortned horn or did you make it in 2 pieces...either way they are cool

I sectioned out an inch welded it back together then put it back on the lathe to smooth out the welds on the inside, it was almost impossible to tell it was even cut in the engine bay. I did it all for free for a buddy :D haha now I have to do another one... The next one is really thin so I hope the welding goes alright. I could of used green lock tight to old it together but I was afraid all the vibrations might brake it after a while, even though green lock tight is incredible strong once its dry I didn't want to take the chance.

dman mike, i always hear stories from mikey and steve about the tools you have. I met you at mikeys one night. I was driving the orange 240z. Gonna have to check out your stuff one of these days.

I must be the "mike" :) Sure....bring mikey with you...he knows how to get here :)

• 1 month later...

I really enjoy looking at metal working, welding and machine tool work. Since I started my 620 project, I have been dabbling in and learning about this discipline and find these projects intriguing.

My version of fabrication is a little different.

I have been lucky in my life to have had opportunities to get paid to learn. I have also spent many years reading, studying and experimenting on my own, so I am largely self taught. I appreciate having been able to work with some very talented people, go to school on them and "drain their brains".

The first shop I had was in a carport with a dirt floor, equipped with a $187 Craftsman table saw. I still have it and have made litterally hundereds of thousands of dollars with it. This is the eighth shop I have built. I have had some big spaces with extensive arrays of stationary machines and tool cribs. Now I have simple needs and understand how I work, what I want to do. I found this space in the basement of an old furniture factory and framed the walls, hung, taped and painted the walls, wired dedicated circuits for lights and tools, built my barn door, built my benches, cabinets and storage shelving. It is my home away from home. My little cubby hole in the universe where I spend much time listening to music and making expensive sawdust.

Thanksgiving weekend, I began to rummage through all my stacks of wood and salvaged materials. I am an incurable wood horder. I wanted to get a jump on making Christmas presents. When that was done, I decided to make myself a little parts drawer box to organize nuts, bolts, springs clips, O-rings, screws and misc, priceless small Datsun parts.

That went well and I still had a pile of oak plywood and hardwood from a kitchen remodel that I did. I tore out a really nice kitchen for a rich lady that anybody would love to have, and installed a shitty set of trendy modular cabinets she got a "deal" on at Lowes. :eek:

So, I broke a bunch of that stuff down and built a little "campaign chest" for socket sets and stuff. That went well and it was a Merry Christmas for us. The week after Christmas it dawned on me to build a big roll around chest for my welding, grinding, auto body and spray paint equipment.

I thought you all would dig this.

The "Ol Skanky Workchop...

DSCN0753_1.jpg

Uh. let's see where are the hose fittings...

DSCN2270.jpg

My trusty old Unisaw...

DSCN2269.jpg

My old 12" De Walt radial...

DSCN2268.jpg

My Powermatic 8" Jointer, cuts like butta...

DSCN6058.jpg

New parts box and tool chests...

DSCN6076.jpg

DSCN6077.jpg

DSCN6080.jpg

:)