mklotz70 project MEND

mklotz70

I just pulled the eng out.....it would have been a lot harder to do if I hadn't done the core support. The hoist in the shop has a height limit....so the extra room made it much nicer!

The seats are stock 510. The bolt right up to the 521 supports. I cut the extra set out of another 521 years ago.

No plans for pwr strg....it's keeping small, narrow tires on it and a stock steering wheel....it should be easy enough to turn. I've been hoping to keep the L16 in it and I don't think it can afford to give up the power the pump will take. If I go to the L20, I might consider it, but probably not....I gotta draw the line somewhere!! :)

Power steering, power brakes, auto...were never an option anywhere that I know of...certainly not in '72.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay.....so I just ran into a major hurdle that I was kind of expecting, but was trying to ignore......ignorance is bliss ya know :) Anyway....the L16 has a 5 bolt crank and all of my auto stuff is for the 6 bolt L20b. Worse case.....if I can't find them soon, I'll prep the L20b and put it in....just been hoping to avoid doing that, but it would definitely be the better motor.

Anyone have an L16 flex plate, spacer and washer? Please pm me if you do!!! :)

run the l20b with an l16 and an auto that thing is gonna be a slug (maybe what you want so the daughter doesnt get tickets?) i got a question for ya mike are ya gonna upgrade the charging system and run power windows and locks? :D

run the l20b with an l16 and an auto that thing is gonna be a slug (maybe what you want so the daughter doesnt get tickets?) i got a question for ya mike are ya gonna upgrade the charging system and run power windows and locks? :D

Everyone has always said to put the L20 in....what finally convinced me was I realized that I may end up driving this more than I'm thinking. And if my daughter decides she wants something different....it may end up as mine and I really don't want to have to do another engine swap!! I can upgrade the electrical later...I've already got way too much work to get done before Canby!! :)

Mike- glad you pulled the engine. Now you can make the eng compartment look cute. It's pretty grungy. :)

It's pretty clean now.....I'll see if I can get pics up soon. Still a really long ways to go!! .....and only 67 days left :(

The auto is about 1/4" shorter than the 4spd. Once the yoke was unbolted from the 4spd, it slipped right onto the auto...I just have to make a plug to keep the fluid from shooting out.....or get a different yoke. The flex plate from the L16 doesn't match up with the torque converter. The center of the spacer doesn't fit either. Once I get a 6 hole spacer for the L20, it should fit up with the 6 hole flex plate just fine.

100_2757.jpg

100_2758.jpg

100_2759.jpg

100_2761.jpg

100_2762.jpg

100_2763.jpg

100_2764.jpg

attached the auto to the L16. I'll use this setup for the mock up of the trans mount and such. I got it cleaned up a bit....eng bay too, but I don't think I'll have time for pics this morning....running behind already!!

100_2770.jpg

100_2771.jpg

Squeezed out a couple more minutes.....hoping to get caught up from the last couple days of verizon problems :) Anyway....

So I tried this new gel degreaser on the pass side and eng....Superclean on the driver's side. At first I thought WOW, the gel works awesome...it sticks to everything. The Superclean looked like it dried up. BUT!!!! When I fired up the pressure washer, the superclean side came out a lot cleaner. I had to go back over the gel side with the superclean. I will be buying more superclean!!!

Yes, there's still grease on the suspension components, but once I rattle can them black....they'll look fine....I just don't have to time to get crazy on the detail stuff like that.

The L16 will most likely get sold for about $150 or so, once I'm done using it for mock up. I'm getting tired of having so many datsun parts laying around here! :)

I can't stand doing this kind of work! It's not the work itself, it's the dang clean up!!!! I spent about 3 hours cleaning the driveway up. After walking around and getting grease balls in my shoe tread, I got to wash the garage floor on my hands and knees with brake cleaner. As things dried up a bit, the heavy winds blew all the small, light weight grease debris into the shop.....and I got to wash the floor again!!! !@#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@#$%^&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since my shop is the garage, attached to the house, anything I step on in the shop gets tracked into the house.....so I have to make sure I get all the dang grease up! :( I'm just glad it's done!!!! Hopefully, this is about the end of the tear down and the rebuilding will start now...... I think :)

100_2773.jpg

100_2774.jpg

100_2775.jpg

100_2776.jpg

100_2777.jpg

100_2778.jpg

100_2779.jpg

100_2780.jpg

100_2781.jpg

100_2782.jpg

100_2783.jpg

100_2784.jpg

100_2785.jpg

100_2786.jpg

100_2787.jpg

100_2788.jpg

In the last pic....the allen plug in the back of the head......I need another one like that for the L20 I'm putting in. I just bought some allens for the ratchet...maybe I'll try to hit the s/y in the next couple of days.

DOH!!! I was going to get one at Knechts on my way home...but I got there, picked up my brake pads and completely forgot about it....maybe tomorrow. It would be a lot faster to put the freeze plug in than to turn one on the lathe! :) Thanks for the heads up!!

where do you get the super clean stuff? im thinkin it would be perfect for my chevy the engine compartment is nasty and i would like to clean it but all the degreasers ive tried blow hard

Actually, I looked at that bottle again and it does not say Castrol on it anywwhere....so ???

I picked this stuff up at the swap meet...supposed to be some high tech line. Easier to work with than stainless and much better quality than the steel. It's supposed to polish right up and not corrode. We'll see. :) It's certainly a lot more expensive than steel!!! A 5' piece of steel line, with the nuts is about $3...this was $40 for 25'. Basically, twice the price! :( Supposedly, you can straighten it back out if you bend it wrong.....which is a really good thing!!

100_2874.jpg

Lookin forward to seeing how it works Mike.....I will be redoing my whole front brake system in the not-to-distant future....including lines. Keep the pics comin. I'm loving the wagon progress too:) I know, I'm jumping threads:)

So, even thought I'm not actively working on Mend at the moment, I am still picking up parts and such. I picked up this 620 shifter when I was there getting the inline fuel pump. It seems to be a good bit taller than the 510 sifter and my real motivation.....I want the 510 shifter for my wgn, in the event it ever gets the VG :)

100_2916.jpg

I actually did some work on Mend today!! :)

100_3008.jpg

100_3011.jpg

100_3012.jpg

100_3013.jpg

100_3014.jpg

100_3015.jpg

100_3019.jpg

100_3022.jpg

Got the welding done on the pass side....driver's side tomorrow.

100_3026.jpg

100_3030.jpg

100_3031.jpg

100_3033.jpg

100_3035.jpg

100_3036.jpg

100_3037.jpg

100_3038.jpg

Still have a lot of grinding to do, but I think I have all the unused holes closed up.

100_3048.jpg

100_3049.jpg

100_3050.jpg

100_3051.jpg

100_3052.jpg

100_3054.jpg

100_3055.jpg