mklotz70 project MEND

mklotz70

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayno was over yesterday and got me thinking about an "all plate" UCA again. He's brought it up before, as well as my buddy A100addict. So....I had a bit of time last night to get started on it in CAD. This would be for a lowered rig.....it would need a bend in it for a stock ride height rig. The dimensions are kinda close....ball joint isn't in correct alignment between bushings and the angles on the gussets need tweaked.

FlatPlateUCA.jpg

Thanks guys! Yep...3/8" plate. Laser cut. I'm not negating the the "weird" part, but I see the dino resemblance too :)

Let me just start by saying that they will ABSOLUTELY NOT look like this!!!!! LOL Just thought I'd get a bit creative. Widen the opening a bit for coilovers, but I have no clue if they'd clear with this design. I'd have to have some dimensions on coil overs to check against the frame and arm first. If someone reading this wants to send me that, I'll try to incorporate that into the design just in case. I extended the gussets, then figured I throw a few sun rays in there. Not exactly rising sun. Most likely, the final design will have solid plate and be a combo between the above plain jane and this one.

RSFlatPlateUCA.jpg

RSFlatPlateUCA2.jpg

RSFlatPlateUCA3.jpg

So, sometimes I kinda drag my feet on certain things while I try to figure them out. Sooner or later, everything starts to gel and progress is made :) Case in point, I needed to double check and update some measurements on the flat plate arms. While I was at the bench, I started tracing the three arms....stock, bent, flat, onto paper and comparing the center line offset of the ball joint. Because I wanted to have one plate cut, I was looking to put the joint somewhere in the middle of where I have the flat and the bent. As I'm checking things out, I notice that the stock one is basically(within a 1/16") is right in the middle of them. Perfect!!! With the tracings and the measurements, I got back on the CAD and started another plate from scratch. If I were a real CAD designer, I probably could have started in 3D and moved things around, but I started in 2D. I thought I'd share a bit on the progression. :)

The top rectangle is the cross shaft dimensions. 2" tall because that's the dia of the bushing tubes. The width and inner lines are set at the edges of the bushing tubes. The vert rect was an easy way to offset 7/8" from the horizontal center and 7.125" from the vert center of the cross shaft. I copied the ball joint bolt pattern from a previous drawing.

FPsketch1.jpg

I put lines an 1/8" in from the edges of the bushing tubes to give me that much space for some kind of weld to seal up the edge of the plate. The 2" straight extensions, down from those tubes is what the stock arm has, so I thought for clearance, I'd just go with that. In this pic, I was trying to figure out the the shape....you'll see it change a bit. Basically, I just kept drawing and deleting lines until it was what I wanted.

FPsketch2.jpg

Here it is blocked out....now to add some curves.....which are done with a simple fillet command in CAD.

FPsketch3.jpg

FPsketch4.jpg

From there, I turned it slightly and extruded it to 3/8". This work is being done as a sheet metal part.....way easier to put bends in!!!

FPsketch5.jpg

View with the sketch turned off.

FPsketch6.jpg

Turned the sketch back on and took a measurement. I wanted to see how much the bend would shorten the arm.

FPsketch7.jpg

FPsketch8.jpg

I then went down to the shop and remeasured the arms. I had the length off just a bit, so I readjusted both arms to match what they should be. The bend is a 1/2" radius.

FPsketch9.jpg

FPsketch10.jpg

It dawned on me that I needed to find out if the flat arm at 6" would be too short once bent.....so I bent the 6" arm.....Viola!!!! It's only .009" off!!!! That's certainly close enough!!!! What that means is that if I have the plate cut, then bend it to the 154 deg angle I want, it will be the length I need for the stock ride height arm!! SWEET!!!

FPsketch11.jpg

Since I picked the location of the bend where I did, it won't affect the where the arms meet the tubes, but it will take away the side to side angle I have with the sheet metal test arm right now. I set the angle right in the middle of the original two bends, so it should be a good compromise. Worse case, I have to limit the suspension travel just a hair.

FPsketch12.jpg

FPsketch13.jpg

....and when they're combined in an assembly with the cross shaft and new gussets, they look like this. This is probably pretty dang close to the final arm. The gusset was intentionally made short enough to work on the bent arm and the angle was left the same so that the same part could be flipped and used front/back. I'm pretty pleased with these :)

FPFlatasm1.jpg

FPFlatasm2.jpg

FPFlatasm3.jpg

FPBentasm1.jpg

FPBentasm2.jpg

FPBentasm3.jpg

• Like 2

Now I really, really wish I had that plasma cutter here!!! There's probably a good 3 hrs into this plate. I don't move too fast and take lots of breaks, so someone else could probably do it in half that. Anyway...... I basically just took pics today. I've previously done video of just about everything I did today, so I didn't really want to take the time or repeat it all. I may see about turning the pics into a vid to put on youtube....we'll see.

So far, it looks really good. I'm not sure I'll even make the gussets by hand....it won't really prove anything. I'm going to tack this flat plate into place and do all the double checking and measuring for the lowered rigs, then I'll put the bend in the plate and check everything for the stock ride height. If it all checks good, I'll get a quote on the parts and see about placing an order.

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

Not perfect, but close enough.

IMG_2497.jpg

The hole is bigger than it needs to be, but the other hole saws were too small.

IMG_2498.jpg

Looks like it will pull the top of the spindle back a bit, which I wanted and expected, so it will increase caster a bit more.

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2506.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

You can see that the front to back placement of the ball joint is almost identical to the stock arm....it's just inboard more because I needed it shorter.

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

A bit less caster than the stock ride arm.....good...wanted and expected.

IMG_2512.jpg

The mill scale is a pain! I may see about giving it an acid dip tomorrow.....if I still have some. If it's raining, I'll probably just grind it off.

IMG_2513.jpg

Video is processing. Here's some pics from the last couple of days. Spent a lot of time working on the bending....still needs more work, but I needed to tack the arm together to see if it was correct. The camber is pretty much perfect.... 2/10ths of a degree neg. The caster is about 6.5, which might be a bit much, but stock caster on the 521 is 3-3.5 degree I think and it's not quite enough. Input on the amount of caster is welcomed!! Now would be the time to adjust it in CAD to take some out. Basically, it will move the wheel forward in the wheel well just a hair if I take some out, but probably no more than a 1/4".....which a poor toe-in adjustment could move it that much! lol I like that the arm is at a slight upwards angle. That will cause the camber to pull the top of the tire in with any upwards movement of the tire. Ought to handle like a slot car. I wish it were going to be like that on the stock ride height. Anyway....

IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2537.jpg

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

I have actually. In fact, during my "bend" research, I came across that exact bender. It says it will bend 3/8" thick, 5" wide.....I wonder how wide the Vee is across the gap? I really only need to bend this one piece for now to prove the design. I may just have the laser cutter bend everything else after they cut it.