Diary of a 63 NL320

Rusty

Greetings ,my name is Rusty.

I have been a Datsun lover for a bit, but really had no idea about NL's

till one day doing a search for 520 stuff, I came across a site that had tons of pictures of 320's and a few NL320..... thats all it took. like, love at first site. (dont tell my wife) this was about 5 years ago...

so, I always plugged Datsun into craigs list, and google and other search ingines just to see what came up.

well one day (recently) it popped up "63NL320" YES!!!!!!

so, i met the guy who owned it, and he told me it had been around him and family for the past 9-10 yrs.

clogged fuel line, and rrrrusty , what was funny is.. it had these old wheels that I once had on a lowerded toyota, it was a sign and i bought it.

He was nice enuff to flat bed it to my rest in West seattle, and minutes after I purchased it, he asked "wanna parts truck too?" it was a 64 N320 with no title.... nice.

got it home, charged the battery and ran the fuel from a can... fired right up.

I pulled the tank and found a inch of rust in the tank anda seized fuel sender?! so I pulled the sender out of the N320 and to my surprise, it was shiney and gold! and, the tank was spotless inside!

so I think "I'll just swap the tanks out" Didnt realize they were a tad different because of the body style difference! had to cut the spout and make a few s-curves to get it back right..... got it all cleaned, put some new gas and some STABLE in it, and again "fired right up" save a huge gas leak around the carb... so I'm in the proscess of swaping the carbs now.

l_9173a74590680c9d4e5f38320e2b14bd.jpgl_184ac205ee6f80d3a22d5ded42ab461a.jpg

I almost had to turn around and sell them both!!! (to help a family memeber with some cash) so I posted them on Craigs list and old datsun pickup lovers forum, one person emailed a $300 offer? and then I found out that I no longer had to... so I'm keeping them ...more later

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the board. I saw those trucks on CL, I had to hold my self back!!! I'm just glad it wasn't ebay with a buy it now button!! I would have been goners :D

Hey Mike that was my 300$ offer :D

haha No I just wanted to throw you off hehe

Keep the pics coming, I'm a huge fan of the NL. Now that we have 2 NL owners I expect at least on new NL pic per day ;)

actually 3 NL owners, don't forget sjeff64...but very few have actually seen his truck (can you call it a truck)

Didn't Ted buy one to? well 4 then :D It should be even easier to keep the fresh pics coming :D

$300 offer????

you want to pay that for them, go for it...or were you meaning the whole truck?;)

I just need one good set to send them off to Ken and have new ones made so everyone can get their replacement lenses like the NL tail lights were done...

and yes, I am a cheap ass broke son-of-a-bitch!:D

$300 offer to his CL ad for both trucks was way out of line.

just sounds like something Hainz would have offered!

He's always saying to offer some low amount and then wait till they call you back trying to offload them...

I guess I missed the part where he only had an offer for that amount...

there I go again not reading everything!

my apologies!

actually not your fault....if you look at his first post, he last editted it 2 min after you first posted.....unlikely you would have gone back and reread the first post.

Sounds like Hainz, but they are way bigger projects than anything he would even consider. He'd offer $300 on a fully restored NL!! :) LOL

• 1 month later...

well finally got the truck road worthy! registered and insured too!

I had to put a gas tankin it,water pump and a whole new brake system in it, new pads , drums, cylinders, adjusters, hard lines and flex lines... $400.00/weekend.

took it for its first cruise down alki beach and the fuel pump stopped pumping... LOL (it's always somthing) thanks to all of you guys on all these forums AND YOU MAINLY "mklotz70" I quickly figured out what products i needed... because its ah good chance that someone has already delt with anything you are now going through with your Datsun.

as it gets colder,rainier and crappier out side... i'll pull it in the shop for some rust repair....

Anyone around the seattle area want to help me bag this thing? or know of any good places in washington?

You're more than welcome. I'm really glad to hear that you've got it on the road!!!! The fuel pump is still available new...just ask for one for a '66 520 one or if they don't go back quite that far....a '68 521....the J series fuel pump is identical to the E series.

Anyone around the seattle area want to help me bag this thing? or know of any good places in washington?

I'm a little farther south, but would love to help bag it! I've been trying to get Klotz to let me bag one of his trucks for some time now. Let me know if I can help.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to static drop this (NL320) to the MAX!

...until I can bag it....

Anyone in Seattle area wanna drink smoke and get lil greasy?

wait...that didnt sound right lol.

i can do it myself but.... who will I stand around with drinking, smoking and talking about it afterwards?

haha.

l_8792dbff2e6d6ed7fb9fac4c0e1646cd.jpg

parts anyone?

1964 n320 whole...sorta

3 doors

and a front clip....

I live on 5th and mercer and would love to help. What day are you going to drop it? I'm not that good at working on cars but I give it my best shot :) we could let a little air out of the tires for an extra inch or 2 :D next week would be better for me.