I 'also' scored a 510 wagon!!! :)

71DIMER

Even though I'm super excited about my 'Ratsun to Datsun Makeover' http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=8057 and my now freshly painted dime I have to share this with you guys.

Ok well after helping my buddy Mark (Pac Coast) find his own wagon and seeing how he transformed it from what it was when we picked it up to what it looks like now, I got goon bug,

I recently heard of a white 1972 wagon that was for sale at the local pick-n-pull but it was sold before I got to check it out. So yesterday I was browsing my local CL around 2pm and low and behold I found one just posted hours earlier in the morning about 85 miles away.

So it's a 1968 Datsun 510 wagon. The exterior is pretty damn straight, not original paint but original color (or close to it compared to the engine bay). Yeah the interior needs some TLC but it'll be a great daily driver running project.

OK, enough words...on to the pics.

What do you guys think?????

0094_3.jpg

a0d0_3.jpg

a1dc_3.jpg

a2cc_3.jpg

a3c9_3.jpg

a516_3.jpg

a5f6_3.jpg

a6c6_3.jpg

a7cf_3.jpg

a8a8_3.jpg

a977_3.jpg

aaf3_3.jpg

abe8_3.jpg

ace2_3.jpg

Edited by 71DIMER
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DUDE I wondered what happen to that baby, one minute it was the ebay the next it was gone!!!

68's are the best :D What is the vin? I will check mine tomorrow and we can see who's is older :D Does yours have the B-piller dome lights? I wish mine did.

Zuum510: haha, not as much as I would have paid for it! :)

ppeters914: I'm sure there were lots of eyes on it.

lex: Yeah some TLC like my buddy Mark did to his goon is what I have planned for it.

Icehouse: Yeah I had to swoop in quick...guy said if it met his reserve on ebay he would have let the auction go. I helped him delete his ebay auction at his place after we signed all the paperwork. :)

Jason: I'm glad I didn't waste any time then! :P

Bonvo: I hope sourcing a back seat will be easy. For now I'm contemplating trying to see if my stock seats from my 510 will bolt in since my 510 is getting 350Z seats in soon and the stock seats are black and in pretty good shape overall. Or I could install some of the newer Celica seats in too.

The guy who sold it to me said he had a carpet kit that he'll give me 'if' he finds it...I'm not holding my breath though.

Yah, Derek was supposed to go and check it out for him on the weekend! Good thing you work fast dude! Good for me too, I would have had to drive him to Seatac again ....

Ah so your friend is one of the 3 guys that called him from out of state. He really didn't want to deal with that so he prefered someone buy it locally. He was even getting a few calls and texts messages while I was there looking it over! I'm glad I saved you a trip to the airport then!

Icehouse:

I sent you the VIN, check your PM.

Guys this thing is very original and is in fairly good shape. This guy had it sitting in that barn for 2 years. He had 20+ old school cars in there. All of them had black plates.

It's all stock L16, su carbs, 4 speed tranny with newer slave clutch cylinder and clutch. It drove great on the highway.

The speedo works great, I compared it to my Garmin as far as how fast I was going and it was accurate.

The blinkers outiside and in the dash work, as do the cluster's temperature and fuel gauges.

The wipers work great.

The rear bumper license plate light works.

The 3 heater slide controls work (Left: Fan speed Middle:Heat On/Off Right: Defrost or Cabin)

Light (low/high) and blinker switch works (shuts off automatically)

It has what appears to be an aftermarket locking gas cap...still doing research on that.

It even has a tiny aftermarket tach on the steering column that works great!

You have a '68 wagon, Jeff?

I wish!!! :D

Icehouse: Yeah I had to swoop in quick...guy said if it met his reserve on ebay he would have let the auction go. I helped him delete his ebay auction at his place after we signed all the paperwork. :)

It's a awesome rig! It's so hard to find a original 68, not that you shouldn't do what you want. It's just nice to start where you are, toeing them home gets OLD!! Damn your lucky :D

Its funny my newest 68 came with a tach in the same spot, except it was so big you could barely get the key in the ignition haha I want to relocate it just because its so old school!!! :D

What are the plans for it? I can't wait to follow this thread!

I wish!!! :D

It's a awesome rig! It's so hard to find a original 68, not that you shouldn't do what you want. It's just nice to start where you are, toeing them home gets OLD!! Damn your lucky :D

Its funny my newest 68 came with a tach in the same spot, except it was so big you could barely get the key in the ignition haha I want to relocate it just because its so old school!!! :D

What are the plans for it? I can't wait to follow this thread!

Yeah I really like that it's small and not HUGE!

I plan on doing the same fix ups Pac Coast did on his green goon monster, clean up the engine bay, starting with simple green and some steel wool. See how far that gets me. If I don't hear back from the previous owner I'll get started on recarpeting using the old carpet that you see in there as my template.

I'd love to lower it...maybe I'll ask Clayton for some help/advice since he lives relatively close and has his own goon to show me. I also want to get some wheels on it, not sure what though.

As far as wheels here's my options:

13" or 14" Libres

9-25marios14s.jpg

15" Watanabes

DSCN1941.jpg

13" Minilites

7-24minilites.jpg

Nice score. You west coast guys have all the luck. I saw it on eBay and wanted to buy it when I saw that the reserve was only $1200 but being 3000 miles away it was just too far.

I have owned many 510s but never a 68. Maybe some day.

Goog luck with it.

I was 1st to bid on it, woke up the next morn and noticed the auction had ended. wrote to him to see waht was up and he said it had sold for $$$$.00

nice score but I don't think I wood have payed what you did.

are the goons worth that much today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270314674975&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

qwik510: Yeah it helps that is was local, I was the first one to see it in person so that's what got it for me.

420n620: What can I tell you, you're first bid of a few hundred bucks wasn't gonna do it and with his ebay auction was only up 7 hours and it was getting near his reserve pretty quick. I am pretty sure it would have met and past his reserve soon after I saw it and gone for more than I paid for it if it would have stayed on Ebay. Hell my coworkers already offered me more than what I paid for it!

The old saying is true, cash talks and BS walks, so I'll just leave it at that and say that I think I got a deal on a rare 1968 wagon in stock (albeight not perfect) wagon that runs great as is, nothing needed to use it daily. That's worth a lot more than buying someone else's uncomplete or rust bucket project. I think some will agree a barn find like this are not around every corner. Maybe you'll find a stock, straight, non-rusty, running goon in your neck of the woods for what you can afford. Good luck with your search for a goon. :)

Congratulations, all that, SUs and black plates too. Being a 1968, the SUs were probably a dealer installed option. You have the single unit brake master cylinder instesd of the two unit master. The single unit was required to allow the air filter housing to fit. The SUs are the RL411 variety, tilted back from vertical, not like the roadster units [see the intake float chamber positioning] and you have the RL411 air cleaner assembly. The roadster filters won't fit, an inch too long. You will need RL411 air filters, Nissan Part Number 16546 16300, might still be available as many SU conversion kits were sold by NISMO to 510 addicts and road racers.