510 idler arms, etc. availability.

HRH

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got mine from them today. It looks identical, did not come in a Nissan/Datsun box. It also says made in Japan on the swing arm itself.

A few #'s on the box in this order:

454-43-03

V:60-03286

B:101-2483

Scott.

Sweet thanks for the heads up ... wonder if the quality is the same as oem? can you post a pic of it?

• 5 years later...

If the ball joint on the idler arm is still in good shape with no feelable issues then just pickup a delrin kit for the pivot point and replace it. Only issue is if I remember correctly is those delrin kits will not fit after market units only OEM. Something about the bore/ID being to big.

Yep, the EE (experimental engineering) kit only fits the original arm that has the nissan datsun "hamburger" logo cast into it. I tried to put the kit in a 555 and a moog idler and it would not fit.  I spoke to Dave Carroll and he confirmed that some of the bores on the non datsun idlers were of varying sizes.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I had a look at the idler the other night while re replacing the starter (new one lasted two weeks) and before re replacing the alternator (new one spun the pulley loose in 2 minutes, that made a great noise, I will never buy NAPA electricals again). The bushings are cracked and squishing out at both ends and if I yank on it I can feel it give and shift. Boy, that's gotta be helping my steering.

I'll be getting all new stuff in addition from Rock auto, the only remaining question is Moog, Adelco, Beck/Arnley. I'm tempted by the moog stuff, and also question the real difference between stuff from the same company but with a price differential. Is a Moog 35 buck ball joint really better than a 25 dollar one?

I'll be getting all new stuff in addition from Rock auto, the only remaining question is Moog, Adelco, Beck/Arnley. I'm tempted by the moog stuff, and also question the real difference between stuff from the same company but with a price differential. Is a Moog 35 buck ball joint really better than a 25 dollar one?

Most of the ball joints I've seen are made by the same company - Sankei. The ball joints sold by Moog are Sankei ball joints which are generally stamped with '555'. The folks at Federal Mogul (Moog parent company) might have you believe otherwise, but they're really all the same. There is no magic pixie dust that goes in to the Moog ones to make them better.

I expect it may drive and steer a tiny bit better with new shocks at all corners (if I can sort out which strut inserts to get, and then find the damned things), new ball joints, all new rod ends, new idler, and a steering brace. I'm a little rough on it and have been for 20 years, and I don't recall changing anything up there out, ever. I hope I'll notice a difference.

Oh, OK I think I did do the rear shocks like 10 years ago.