510 idler arms, etc. availability.

HRH

Okay, so sayeth myself for NAPA: WTF? Finding a steering idler arm for the 510 is like pulling teeth.

So far only Motion and Schucks have availability, both a week or two, hopefully Schucks comes through on this one with a rare parts number that is supposedly available. Now ordering.

Tried NAPA (me) Bert Shields, Schucks, Motion. The Moog number was discontinued in 1997. Have a McQuay Norris number that is also not available.

Have not tried Nissan or autozone because I can't stand autozone. (No offense to anyone who works there, hopefully you're better than the parts guys over here.)

Anyway, just wondering when the last time any of you changed your front end parts: steering idler arm, center link, etc.

Tie rod ends are still readily available, but they're pretty standard. I'm wondering how much of a chore it's going to be to find a center link, or if I should just take it off, take it down to my machinist and have it threaded for outer tie rod ends. That unit is one piece if I remember correctly?

I know Australia has all sorts of 510 goodies, so you'd think those parts would also be available to the rest of us through normal aftermarket import parts, even for a 30+ year old Datsun.

Edited by HRH
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, definitely let us know. I don't care where the parts come from, as long as they'll last. The only thing I'm worried about is cheap steel and having the drag link bend too easily, but it looks like a decent piece.

I'm going to need some regardless so either make them or buy them.

What is currently wrong with the one you have? I am redoing all the steering and suspension components right now and i dont see anything wrong with using the center link and idler arm that are in there just cleanin them up and putting new boots on them.

Also just to rag on NAPA if i can for a moment! i just got new inner and out bearings races and seals for the 280zx brakes and guess what... NAPA gave me the wrong ones, or they are to small. about .05mm to small and wont slide over the spindle... :fu:now i have to take it all off and start over!

• Like 1
What is currently wrong with the one you have? I am redoing all the steering and suspension components right now and i dont see anything wrong with using the center link and idler arm that are in there just cleanin them up and putting new boots on them.

Also just to rag on NAPA if i can for a moment! i just got new inner and out bearings races and seals for the 280zx brakes and guess what... NAPA gave me the wrong ones, or they are to small. about .05mm to small and wont slide over the spindle... :fu:now i have to take it all off and start over!

Nothing currently wrong that I'm aware of though I need to check it. Replacing all the components regardless seeing as they're 1971 original from what I can tell. Remember this is eventually going to be a full-fledged rally car, so need to replace everything. It'll be a new 510 except the body by the time I'm done with it.

Which NAPA gave you the wrong ones? You're supposed to come see me at the NAPA main store on Freya. I'm one of the only Datsun nuts we have. Your spindle doesn't have any dinks on it, does it?

Which NAPA gave you the wrong ones? You're supposed to come see me at the NAPA main store on Freya. I'm one of the only Datsun nuts we have. Your spindle doesn't have any dinks on it, does it?

Dinks? haha no my spindles are fine and i got them from the main store! and i was at the main store today buying a new seal because i had pull out the wrong ones and get the right ones from brown bearing... They were prob right but the tolerances for chinese parts are not to my standards haha

• 5 months later...

I know what youre going thru, I did went to all parts stores here in Guatemala city for that specific part. I had to call a friend that is a datsun 510 collector to ask him if he knew where I could find the idler arm, he told me, and got it for $10.

Have you heard back from classic yet?

I sent a mail asking about the avalibility of them and if they were a direct replacement for a 1971 datsun 510 idler arm and this is the exact responce I got back

"yes, we have these in stock."

soooo... I guess its hit or miss. I could give them a call and see what they had to say. ... whats the original part number on the idler arm?