R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, got new jets in. Went from the #15's to the #17.5 Thats one step up.

Put'r at 3 turns out. Test drive. Upon decl, it takes longer to start popping, more time, and isn't quite as bad. On idle its less poppy, but you still hear a bubbly flub flub pop pop flub(like my sound effects?)

So, I went and got a micro drill bit set at hobbytownusa for $19.95

Now that I have a spare set of pilots I'm gunna drill the old ones out a few steps up. Like maybe #30ish We'll see where that takes me. Sure wish I was doing this with a wideband.........

Did you experiment with different idle mixture screw settings? May fix your problem with the bigger pilot jets. The other KA guy said he only had his two turns out, right?

Tried 3 turns... then 3.5 didnt get much difference

I wanna make a big move, like 30 or 40 jet. Then see what the difference is. At least then I know if I'm going in the right direction.

Visually I could not see a difference in the size of the jet hole they are so tiny. Amazing.

I mean, I got spare jets. Why not drill'm and experiment.

Wide ban and all your guess work will go away. Yes backfiring through the exhaust is usually a lean condition in the slow idle speed circuit or a set of unbalanced carbs. My suggestion is to buy pilot jets cause once you drill you really have no idea what size they are. Slow idle speed jets are very very touchy to enlargement. Your dealing with Basically a big air chamber pulling alot of vaccum. Cv carbs are a bitch to tune on a bike let alone something they were never desighned to be used on. An extra set of slides would be nice to play around with the air holes in them to help tuning I've drilled those before to help flat spots in the transition between slow speed circuit to midrange circuit when jetting wouldn't get me their.

I'll know what size they are, the bits are wire gauge sizes. Use a online mm conversion chart and it's easy. Yeah there's probably some fudge room but you can get close enough. And to get rid of the backfiring I just need to be close enough. Plus I have spare jets. I'm not out anything drilling them.

Let you know tomorrow what happens!

• Like 1

Some innovatives and stuff are meant for data-logging, standalone ecu etc... and to use a gauge youd have to buy the gauge and box so they could interface. I was going to use an innovative (LC1 I think) with my tablet (cheapest rt 75 bucks used) just to tune but I missed 2 auctions and kind of quit on it lol.

Good info, thanks!

Just to confirm, you're running a stock KA24e? What about the exhaust?

Stock KA24e with 4-2-1 headers and 2.25 in exhaust with 1 resonator and free flow muffler.

Also, I have little to no experience with carbs so take my advice as internet loar mixed with my observation on this project. If I am rong just hit me with a stick. I know there are people on here that have been tuning carbs for years and years. They proly just laugh at me but I respect their expertise and value their input. I was a Honda mechanic, and the chapter on carbs was like, "We used to use carbs but they suck. They use a venturi and jets. Now we use fule injection and it is awesome." So as far as my carb tuning so far, I have been a blind man with a shotgun(and a narrowband AF meter).

I pulled the car out today for a drive. It is about 340°F(narrowband temp) in the appartment and I had to git the F out. Took a nice drive around the hood. Nothing special, the car is running good, not overheating. I feel like it is getting dialed in. Still thinking about air filters. Proly just pod filters.

Glad to hear its running good!

Dang near exact setup as mine. ka24e r1 carbs, 4-1 shorty header, 2" all the way back with one resonator(glasspack) at the halfway point. Love the way it sounds wound out!

Little bad news, I got very frustrated with myself today. Was all excited to drill out the old #15 jest to something big, well, got started with a tiny #70 drill bit. Did practically nothing for ever, then snapped............dangit :mad:

Drilled the others out with the number 60 bit. Those went ez as pie with a cordless drill. Cake. Tried drilling out the one with the suck bit using that larger bit and no go. Basicly mutilated it.

Of corse this happend at 4:59 on a saturday afternoon and ALL the stupid bike shops close at 5 on saturday. And are closed till tuesday. stupid.

So now I wait. Hoping some local dealer carries these jets, dont care what size I'm just gunna drill it anyway!!

With the larger than life pilot jetting I plan on maybe running the screws one turn out, or maybe even a half turn to get started. We'll see from there. I just want to see what happens running pig rich on idle dangit!! Is that too much to ask?!?!?

Can't you just look at a gauge spud? Y u need laptop?? (I have one but isnt that just if you want datalogging?)

wellllll, if the douche who sold me the setup would have mentioned the gauge was shorted out, and i would have kept looking for a different one, then yes i suppose you could do that, but since the gauge is fawked, i just hook the laptop up whenever i need to do any tuning, after that, i figure it may change slightly with temp or something, but no need to toss another gauge in there

Well, thinking I could go way big on the idle jets and use the mixture screw to adjust it down FAILED.

Ran pig rich even with 1/2 turn out. Blew smoke everywhere barely idled and Im pretty sure fouled all m plugs lol

So I'm going to try to exchange my 17.5 jets for a set of 20's. Let's see how it goes.

two steps out on the pilot jets is a lot...I'm not entirely convinced that this is your problem. You can get a narrow band O2 sensor and a little AFR gauge for really cheap, and it should at least give you a really rough idea of where you stand. Both can be had at your local auto parts store. Ask the the guy at the counter for a two wire O2 sensor and there is usually a little AFR gauge on the Chevy wall. If not, Amazon has the gauges for cheap.

Well, thinking I could go way big on the idle jets and use the mixture screw to adjust it down FAILED.

Ran pig rich even with 1/2 turn out. Blew smoke everywhere barely idled and Im pretty sure fouled all m plugs lol

So I'm going to try to exchange my 17.5 jets for a set of 20's. Let's see how it goes.

holy moly your killin me! just come pull the wideband out of my car, its not like its moving in the next week or two

• Like 3

Ok ok ok.....before you all go crazy I'm ordering my wideband on the next paycheck!!

But for now, i picked up #22.5 jets from cycle barn. This is a video of it at idle, full warm(after a test drive) with the screws 2 turns out.

I'm getting some results, but I dont think for the right reasons. It takes even longer on decel for the popping to start. like 10 seconds. Even longer with 3 turns out. But now I'm gettting smoke. With 3 turns out ALOT of smoke, to the point where I freaked for a second thinking I toasted my rings or something. I DID just do the first oil change since I built the motor so could that have something to do with it???? I don't know but the smoke was reduced by going back to 2 turns out so....

Anyway, here is the pop at idle. Nothing ive done seems to fix this. O well. Waiting for wideband now. Starting to think its something else besides jetting............who knows.........

Enjoy.

Good video :)

As a long time bike mechanic ( 30+yrs) I have heard this before and can tell ya the very first thing I would check is your sync between the carbs. The popping and the lumpity run down from revving the car is from that IMHO (assuming the motor is healthy and doesn't have compression probs).

Not sure how guys have done the sync on these when mounted on a car before but you should be using a mercury tool or similar to see what each cylinder is pulling. Since your manifold has the carbs as true ITB's you can tap into the runners with small 1/8 in vacuum fittings and get them sync'd quickly.

:)

--Ray

BEBmF.jpg