R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

it runs! just fired it up. started right up with a little gas down each carb. its leakin all over the place though... it sounds like everyones had that problem?? just the seals being dried out for so long? replace them or let them sit with gas in there?

it sounds good, hard to tell what it will sound like in the end though, open turbo and all.

Cool dooood !

Yeah, all three of us had float bowl leaks. what solved mine for good was adjusting the floats so they have a very positive "closing" feeling. Bend the little needle seal tabs.

I also soaked my seals for a day or two in ATF. The last time I pulled my bowls, I had the seals sitting on the bench, still in their respective grooves. After about 30 min of tinkering I came back and they were so swolen I couldnt get them back in the grooves. Pain in the arse. So let them sit a few more hrs and they calmed down. So I think the gas does soften them up.

But i'd definately check the floats. Mine felt like they would barely seal, little to no pressure on them at full float height. And since we're all running pressure behind them you need even more sealing force. Mine are set so at full droop they just visually come open.

Thats where i'm at.. Oh, and my FPR is stuck at 5-6 psi and no leaky.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New plugs would work for a good read. Or you could take for a nice long drive to clean them. Lots of long hard 3rd and 4th gear pulls out on the highway. Then clutch ign. off and coast to a stop. A quick 1/2 won't do it. Wide band is the way to keep yout piston tops in good shape and worth the money. It also points the way to optimum performance. Try to get a high 14 to one cruise ratio for maximum economy.

Good info Mike! I think I'll do a dyno run in a few weeks. Theres a shop 15 min from my house that does $125 per hr, minimum of one hr. He said he usually gets a good read on 1-2 pulls and thats all he needs for a baseline. Wide band in the tail pipe too so I can get an idea of how (hopefully) rich it is.

Mine really isn't that fast, it's to be expected for 1500cc built for economy and a 7.9 to 1 compression ratio, but it sounds cool haha. Still need to make a vacuum log box for the Vacuum advance and brake booster. Need to mess with the needles as well. Click on the picture to watch the video.

th_Honderppictures021.jpg

• Like 1

That sounds sweet Ratty!

Spudly, my bowl gaskets all leaked at first but after a few days with gas sittig in them they stopped. I geuss if you worked on them at a shop you would just replace the gasket when you did work on the carb. I couldn't see telling a customer that his carbs leak but that in a couple days they would stop. Or you could take them out and leave them soking in gas the whole time. Even after just taking the carb off to change jets out they leaked.

As far as the ATF goes I hear it is good to put some in with the engine oil from time to time because it has cleaners in it and it helps flush out the sludge. And I think it helps with noisy lifters to. Is it thinner than oil so it can get into tighter spots?

Where did you pick those up??

Had the local muffler shop cut four 3" long pieces of 2" exhaust pipe. Then had him flare the ends only a 1/4" or so. I'm going to tap set screws to hold them on.(tried on a scrap piece and holds strong) And clean them up. Perhaps get them nickel coated or something else cool and cheap.

VintageRice any vids of your car running with out music drowning out the sound of the engine?

I tried turning the music way down. But I'll upload a raw clip. Gimme a minute.

I really need to go for a run with the camera inside, and with the open backed case for good sound. Will happen soon hopefully.

Had the local muffler shop cut four 3" long pieces of 2" exhaust pipe. Then had him flare the ends only a 1/4" or so. I'm going to tap set screws to hold them on.(tried on a scrap piece and holds strong) And clean them up. Perhaps get them nickel coated or something else cool and cheap.

Genius. Mind if I do this?

Being cheap inspires all kinds of cool ideas. Thats why ratsun is so RAD.

Have you seen what they want for R1 stacks on ebay?!?! It's outrageous.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-PRO-TUNING-TUNING-VELOCITY-STACKS-YAMAHA-YZF-R1-07-08-/390422443270?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae6fdb506&vxp=mtr#ht_2636wt_1171

I wouldn't expect to gain much, if any horsepower from just switching carbs from su's to R1. You still got the same motor right? just sayen...........

Get the boost hooked up!

Worken on it! Ran out of welding rod, so i gotta pick some more up tomorrow and finish up the charge pipe!

Not a huge increase but some as the Hitachi is a compromise carb... economy/performance/compact/drive ability/pollution control. Mostly high mid and top end increase. Trouble is now the cam becomes the bottle neck.

Especially that Honda, it has a really nice tone to it

Thanks, I specifically built the header with small primaries and unequal length to give it a sort of boxer rumble at idle but a nice high pitch in the top end. Need to rebuild the exhaust and get a real muffler, I was thinking magnaflow, I really like your velocity stacks Vintage rice, Having that as an option really opens up tuning the intake length.

I have been driving the car around working out the bugs, and The drivers side motor mount broke. It is from the angle it is sitting at from lowreing it on the passenger side to make room for the carbs and headers. I think I will have to go back to the first braket I used on the passenger side and find an other way to make the carbs fit: Cut the hood and put on a 280zx turbo scoop? Or make some nice horns like Rice and let them poke out the hood? Still need to lean it out a little, I have been stalling because I have to deal with the cracked carb leaking, I got that to stop and I don't want to mess with it. I have to take off the intake manifold to install the brake boost line so I will do it all at the same time. But so far so good.

Yep, thats part of working out hte bugs on a custom aplication. Heck, half the fun is tinkering! Anyone can buy a nice cumpfy reliable car. BOOOORING. :D

I took mine out today to get a little interior video, and lost fuel pressure. Mostly cause I almost ran outa gas, but somne crap from inside the tank clogged the line. I limped it home, but when I got home still no fuel pressure. So I blew the line out backwards with the air compressor. Fixed! well, for now...........gotta drain the tank again and get that crap OUT.

Video coming.