R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

9 minutes ago, frank88 said:

Change my master to which type?

Surely the vacuum canister would only be used for vacuum advance and not for the booster as well so wouldn't solve the problem?

Cheers

There's really no reason to not use a vacuum canister for both the brakes and the vac advance.  And depending on what you want to do with the brakes you can change to a larger or smaller master cylinder to change the brake pedal pressure.  If wanting a softer pedal to help compensate for a lack of power assist then you would want to go to a smaller master cylinder.  Pedal travel will increase though.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

Well, after a long wait, finally got the Vance & Hines (Mikuni 39mm VM carbs, modified by V&H) smooth bores on.

Took a little work getting the 4 into 1 throttle cable to mate up just right.

Turned on the ignition, let the fuel bowls fill, and hit the starter.

Came to life instantly, and idled better than my damn Weber DGV ever did.

Just finished synchronizing them (in the rain).

As soon as it stops raining today, I'll go over all the fasteners again, seeing I have a couple of heat cycles on them, then pop the air filter on.

DSC09287.jpg

• Like 1

I know!!! That's the amazing thing with these, they idle cold at warm revs. Yesterday I swapped my jets again. Took some cranking to get the gas into them but fired right up with the 'choke' on and idled @ 600. Been sitting for weeks.

Starting is different than a carburetor though. At least on the R-1s. Needs the enrichment valve full on and don't touch the gas. Crank till it fires.

Still reading lean. Was at 1.8mm and WOT was mid 9s or maybe lower than the gauge reads. Went down to 1.4mm and came up to mid 10s. Decided to get below it and work my way up in jet sizes so down to 1.2 and severe lean 15-17s. Went up to 1.3mm and still lean. Any ideas why so lean?

Here's the jet diameter and the area worked out. Just like a muffler doubling the diameter increases the cross section 4 times. So I guess small changes make big differences.

First try 1.8mm............ 2.5434mm2 9.6 at WOT (lowest gauge can, read may be lower)

Second try 1.4mm....... 1.5386mm2 10.6 at WOT

Fourth try 1.3mm..........1.3266mm2 16-17 at WOT *

Third try 1.2mm............1.1304mm2 17-18 at WOT

* I'm here right now. Presume a 1.35mm jet is the next thing  but if not possible something between 1.35 and 1.4mm OR just live with the 1.4mm jets. 

Way ahead of ya. Amazon for 20 brass jets varying from 0.91 to 1.20mm for $12. I already drilled out he the stock 1.46mm R-1s to 1.8. So they are done. Drilled 4 jets to 1.4mm and then another to 1.2mm and then a set to 1.3mm.

! may be able to get a 1.35mm drill... 0.5319 or 17/32"....0.0532".

I can't understand why it suddenly went so lean going from 1.4mm to 1.2. I'm tempted to put the 1.4mm back in to confirm that it runs in the low 10s at WOT and that something else hasn't been altered.

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I know!!! That's the amazing thing with these, they idle cold at warm revs. Yesterday I swapped my jets again. Took some cranking to get the gas into them but fired right up with the 'choke' on and idled @ 600. Been sitting for weeks.

Starting is different than a carburetor though. At least on the R-1s. Needs the enrichment valve full on and don't touch the gas. Crank till it fires.

Still reading lean. Was at 1.8mm and WOT was mid 9s or maybe lower than the gauge reads. Went down to 1.4mm and came up to mid 10s. Decided to get below it and work my way up in jet sizes so down to 1.2 and severe lean 15-17s. Went up to 1.3mm and still lean. Any ideas why so lean?

Here's the jet diameter and the area worked out. Just like a muffler doubling the diameter increases the cross section 4 times. So I guess small changes make big differences.

First try 1.8mm............ 2.5434mm2 9.6 at WOT (lowest gauge can, read may be lower)

Second try 1.4mm....... 1.5386mm2 10.6 at WOT

Fourth try 1.3mm..........1.3266mm2 16-17 at WOT *

Third try 1.2mm............1.1304mm2 17-18 at WOT

* I'm here right now. Presume a 1.35mm jet is the next thing  but if not possible something between 1.35 and 1.4mm OR just live with the 1.4mm jets. 

At the ends of the spectrum O2 readings are not that accurate, wide band or not, if you drilled these jets there's also the issue that drilled jets are not always that accurate.

That being said it seems you found a way to get in the middle, I'd try that and see what happens.

• Like 1

Yea, I need to pick some up, as I'll be playing with mine soon, and those little buggers are hard to find after they hit the floor.

Just wish I could find the adjustable main jets that they used to make for the larger Mikuni VM carbs back in the '70s.

• 6 months later...

DJgz2uK.jpg

Made my own manifold that doesn't need the coolant passages. The water can't go anywhere, it's completely sealed. If you want you can TIG weld them closed or tap and plug them but I've had zero problem, why would I? almost all L series have the holes and they don't leak unless you don't put it back on properly.

pfrKifP.jpg

The bottom row of 4 bolt holes will take a bolt that has a large thick washer that bridges across both intake and exhaust flanges. Each bolt holds one intake and one exhaust flange.

QIJbikE.jpg

The 'washers' are called cone washers. because they are slightly curved.

4ZzFwiU.jpg

Only on the rarest of occasions do I use RTV. If your surfaces are clean and flat only a gasket is needed, that's what it's there for. RTV is for those who don't trust their own work when they should..