Nice aftermarket retractable seat belts for 510s

slodat

I ordered a set of retractable seat belts from gotbelts.com.

Options I selected when ordering:

• Web Length = 130 inch (Special Order)
  • Buckle End = 25 inch adjustable floppy w/bolt in end fitting
  • Shoulder Mount Option = 8 inch Extended Door Post Fitting

I also bought the $5.95 hardware kit for each one as well.

Here are some photos of the seat belts installed. As I said above, I am really happy with them. I like that they are similar to the stock belts style wise.

Retractor barely peeks over the door sill. Seats are stock seats all the way back.

DSCF0249.JPG

Retractor is about the same depth as the belt is wide.

DSCF0248.JPG

The 8" drop keeps the belt down on your shoulder.

DSCF0251.JPG

Buckle mounted to stock mounting point in the floor with L bracket and bolt from hardware kit. Drive shaft tunnel is at the top of the photo.

DSCF0254.JPG

The retractor is bolted to the stock mounting point in the rocker. The loose end is the only hole I had to drill. I used both of the huge flat washers on the bottom side.

DSCF0256.JPG

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

chin up, good info... I didn't know news retracable belts could be custom ordered, let alone suitable ones for a datsun. Thanks slodat, howmuch did these run you?

About $180 total for a pair. They are made in Washington, so the sales tax bumped the price a few bucks.

It's funny the difference in feedback on 510 topics between here and the 510 realm. Here everyone says fuck you and puts their ignorant little "fu" graphic up. On the realm guys want photos and details because they are considering buying the same setup. This "Ratsun" bullshit is growing old. Seems like much of the newer crowd on here are a bunch of cheap people who have no concept of quality let alone desire to possess any in their projects. They hack crap together and then dump the datsun on the next person in worse shape than they found it..

there's two ways to look at the fu, Its not always meant as a personal attack... I cant speak for others but I sometimes use it in real life when "joking" with friends, however if you don't know someone it's not really appropriate.

There's a lot of good guys being lumped in here though, despite the people who are here cause they saw a datsun in a magazine and thought it was cool then quickly realize all the hard work that they aren't capable of, I think we have a decent forum. The forum is still fairly young, and can only get better, we are certainly different than the realm and the bb list, some guys take the term Ratsun a little too seriously, if you look at the guys who started the forum, well Ratsun on the outside but under the skin is some great fab work... I don't think we're building show cars here, but personally I want my DNA to show in the end result, the best part about this forum is how different we are and still get along fir the most part... I think most of us feel the same way you do, but pleas don't lump us all in that category. :D

I was going to buy some belts from them but I just never get around to it. I want to replace the belts in my 510 with some belts that match what is in there right now. I think about $40 per set?

Mainly, I've heard stories about 510 belts snapping during accidents, other wise I wouldn't even worry about replacing them.

Anyways, this company has any belt the way you want it. I'd recomend checking them out. :D

I was going to buy some belts from them but I just never get around to it. I want to replace the belts in my 510 with some belts that match what is in there right now. I think about $40 per set?

Mainly, I've heard stories about 510 belts snapping during accidents, other wise I wouldn't even worry about replacing them.

Anyways, this company has any belt the way you want it. I'd recomend checking them out. :D

As I said above I paid about $180 shipped for a pair with the options I listed above. I replaced the stock belts because retractors are a must for me. I also can't stand being hit in the neck with the seat belt all the time, so the drop mount was also a must.

How do you feel about their quality? I only ask because it has been awhile but I ordered a set of retractable 3 point universal seat belts from ebay (not the kind you bough) and once I got it, boy oh boy I'm glad I didn't keep them let alone install them and count on them.

One of the retracting units didn't capture/stop the belt when jerked hard like the other one did just fine. Upon further inspection the one that didn't catch had some loose parts in it, heard them rattling around. So I look at the 'good' one and OMG, I saw a bunch of plastic geared teeth in it. I don't want to trust my life to some aftermarket belts especially ones using so much plastic components in the vital parts.

Do the ones you bought offer any guarantee or anything?

Oh and don't just us all on Ratsun based on some "fu's" posted by others. :)

Hey look at that snazzy dome light :D Nice upgrade Slodat thanks for informing us of a good buy. Just curious about the loose end that you used the 2 big washers on. Do you think those are sturdy enough to support the belt if there was a impact? I guess I am asking how strong does it feel?

How do you feel about their quality?

First rate in my opinion. From their website:

Our seat belts are manufactured to meet U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) #209 & #302 & SAE 386 and are DOT approved.
Do the ones you bought offer any guarantee or anything?

A quick visit to their website revealed the following:

Return Policy-If you buy it and can't use or don't want it, we'll take it back!
Oh and don't just us all on Ratsun based on some "fu's" posted by others. :)

My post above is still how I feel.

Nice work slodat! I'm curious if the retractor will fit between the bench and the side of the cab on a 620? There isn't much room in there, but I would would like a updated set of belts.

Later 620's came stock with retractable seat belts. These are easily smaller than the stock retractors in my 620.

Just curious about the loose end that you used the 2 big washers on. Do you think those are sturdy enough to support the belt if there was a impact? I guess I am asking how strong does it feel?

Strength is not measured in terms of feel. Again, if you read the company's website, you will find that the large washers supplied in their hardware kit are in fact supplied in the kit for the purpose of providing a safe installation. So, yes, I am confident they are safe. They are much safer than the 39 year old fixed length stock belts that were in the car previously.

Dood go pick up a set out of an old dodge pick up like i did. they work perfect for 20 bucks.

I didn't want used seat belts out of a junk car. I already had used seat belts in the car. I wanted something *safe* to drive myself and people I care about around in the car.

Edited by slodat
there's two ways to look at the fu, Its not always meant as a personal attack... I cant speak for others but I sometimes use it in real life when "joking" with friends, however if you don't know someone it's not really appropriate.

There's a lot of good guys being lumped in here though, despite the people who are here cause they saw a datsun in a magazine and thought it was cool then quickly realize all the hard work that they aren't capable of, I think we have a decent forum. The forum is still fairly young, and can only get better, we are certainly different than the realm and the bb list, some guys take the term Ratsun a little too seriously, if you look at the guys who started the forum, well Ratsun on the outside but under the skin is some great fab work... I don't think we're building show cars here, but personally I want my DNA to show in the end result, the best part about this forum is how different we are and still get along fir the most part... I think most of us feel the same way you do, but pleas don't lump us all in that category. :D

well said :thumbup:

Yeah, hard to argue price when you're talking about saving your a$$ and/or your passengers. Same reason you don't skimp or jury rig brake stuff.

Appreciate the update. Gonna have to put those in my 411.

You show the individual mount points, but not the whole enchilada. Can you post a pic showing how they look installed?

You show the individual mount points, but not the whole enchilada. Can you post a pic showing how they look installed?

Hmm.. how do you mean. Like with it buckled across the seat or something? I can do that..

Another option for mounting seat belts... this guy used to live local, but he moved to cali?? or something... anyway, its been a "few" years.

http://www.geocities.com/chameleon_mace_studios/seatbelt.htm

If you use this method combined with the belts shown by Slodat, it should be a little cheaper... due to not needing the drop hanger thing. If you insist on getting you junkyard seatbelts, well this might give you more options as well.

just found this, thx a ton, i'm ready to get mine for my 620 king kab, and they have the blue webbing belt material :D, i don't know how many of u saw the website, but they r havin a special right now for 76.00 for each set, so for my kk thats 152.00 plus 6.00 shipping, 158.00 for the best piece of mind u can by, and safety also, yea buddy, i'm all over this, besides the factory black ones r shot..:eek: