naz

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Thanks guys, the Megan looks like a good place to start.  I noticed it said for a 95-98 S14, my engine came from a 91 S13, do you think there will be any problems?

Both KAs I have are from S13s, and running the Megan Racing shorty header on both no issues

Edited by demo243
  • Like 1

I just started cleaning up the MAF  and this doesn't seem right, the diameter is 55mm, that seems awfully small for a 2.4L engine. Wondering if it just got thrown in with engine when I bought everything, can anyone confirm if this is the proper unit for a KA24DE?

Thanks,

ChrisIMG_0324-1024x768.md.jpgIMG_0323-1024x768.md.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Okay, I just looked it up and it is the right one, this has to be one of those components that get swapped for something larger, just seems so restrictive. Any thoughts?

map sensor conversion possibly, but never really heard of people swapping it.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Draker said:

map sensor conversion possibly, but never really heard of people swapping it.

Yes, thinking about that, I did a bunch of reading yesterday about a larger Maf but then you have to use add ons like the Apexi safc and at that point you might as well pull it all and start fresh with a stand alone system.  Not sure I'm ready to go that far yet just trying to do any tweaks I can as I put it together, getting it back on the road is the first priority and I can change and restore things as a rolling project.

• Like 1

Don't knock the Apex-I S-AFC.

I've been running one on my Toyota 3-liter all-motor for many years, with the only change to the ECU being different clock crystals to bump the rev limit to 8500.

I run a very modified (opened up for more flow) flapper style air meter to make 400 HP.

And have helped many other people set up larger Nissan hot wire meters.

This is a very popular mod for Nissans, and back when I was importing from Japan sold latterly hundreds of R32 & Q45 MAFs to do just what grannyknot was talking about.

But it takes a good tuner, and having a wide band A/F meter to do it right, just like a stand alone.

This coming year I am finally going to an AEM Infinity to have better control over ignition timing, and going sequential injection.

But keeping the S-AFC in the loop, so minor tweaks won't require carrying a lap-top in the car all the time.

Edited by G-Duax
  • Like 1

What is everyone using for a signal to an aftermarket tach? 

On my 510 it pulls the signal from the megajolt unit... but on the 620 with an S13 KA24DE I am not getting a signal from the ECU via the yellow/red wire... which means its probably best to run it off the coil - but I am having a hard time tracing that back through the wiring diagram. 

Edited by demo243
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 9:16 AM, demo243 said:

What is everyone using for a signal to an aftermarket tach? 

On my 510 it pulls the signal from the megajolt unit... but on the 620 with an S13 KA24DE I am not getting a signal from the ECU via the yellow/red wire... which means its probably best to run it off the coil - but I am having a hard time tracing that back through the wiring diagram. 

Are you talking about the KA24DE wiring harness? Because I have mine laid out on the floor right now and I can trace any wire for you if that helps.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Are you talking about the KA24DE wiring harness? Because I have mine laid out on the floor right now and I can trace any wire for you if that helps.

yea KA24de/ECU Wiring harness --- I have the diagram with the pinout which points to the red/yellow tach output... but it doesn work... as many people have said...  some say you can use a resistor an make it work... but was hoping for a more simple straightforward solution--- which should be the negative from the coil

• Like 1

Well looking at the coil end of the harness there is a one wire plug 16 ga, solid black, there is a 2 wire plug , both 16 ga, one is green/black stripe, the other is black/red stripe. The third plug is made up of 3 wires, one is 14 ga, green/black stripe, second is a 16 ga white wire and third is a 16 ga black with silver hatch marks.

• Like 1
On 1/3/2020 at 9:10 PM, grannyknot said:

Well looking at the coil end of the harness there is a one wire plug 16 ga, solid black, there is a 2 wire plug , both 16 ga, one is green/black stripe, the other is black/red stripe. The third plug is made up of 3 wires, one is 14 ga, green/black stripe, second is a 16 ga white wire and third is a 16 ga black with silver hatch marks.

👍 now to see if I can find a color coded wiring diagram

• Like 1
1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

I don't have a colour diagram but do have this one,

e.c.c.s.-wiring-diagram-of-1991-nissan-2

hmmm not coming out large enough to really read... 

Found a couple of diagrams on Jim Wolfe's website that spell out the coil negative... but they are for the 95+ S14 KA24DEs... need to do some digging. 

Here are the links for anyone interested

http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/DISTRIBUTOR SR KA CHANGE CAR TO EXT COIL AND TRANSISTER.PDF

http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/MSD TO SR 240SX.PDF

• Like 1
On 1/6/2020 at 9:32 AM, demo243 said:

hmmm not coming out large enough to really read... 

Yeah, not great but there doesn't seem to be much out there, I'll keep digging too.  You mention above that you have the pinout diagram, any chance you could share it? It would be nice to have as much info as possible concentrated in this one thread.

Thanks

• Like 1

Double posting here..... 

First--- The KA in the truck is running SUPER RICH! like dripping fuel rich --- this was dripping out of the header -- not oil - seems to be gas

20200112_154659

This is the darkest plug 

20200112_154005

This was the lightest

20200112_153917

I know the Idle Air Control is not working... since It when started it wouldnt hold an idle, had to manually hold the throttle open to get it to run, right now have the the throttle stop opened up to hold idle... shouldnt make it run that rich though.... 

maybe my O2 sensor? Only have a single one wire O2 running from the #4 cylinder in the header to the ECU... might not be right... 

Truck drives ok, but does seem to be "smoking" a bit when left to idle.... 

I dont know if this makes a difference or not...

But when I first started it, it was not running this rich... the other weekend when I went to bring it down to get registered I think I ran it out of fuel while pulling it onto the trailer.... thats when it started this "smoking" and puking fuel out of the header thing...

Also probably doesnt help that I am currently killing power to the whole truck --- including ecu--- everytime I turn it off --- I am assuming this is reseting the ECU every time

Edited by demo243
  • Like 1

Double post # 2

Second thing --- 

Took some photos of the coil wiring... didnt get a chance to look into anything, but figured it would be worth posting. 

This is on my S13 KA24DE

20200112_155906

20200112_155908

20200112_155924

20200112_155928

20200112_155930

Need to figure out the best spot to tap into for the negative coil wire for the tach

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Fyi-

Fixed my rich issue with some new injectors- picked em up off Ebay rebuilt from some one with good reviews.

Also for anyone looking for a direct from the coil tach signal on an s13 ka24de with the external coil- I used the green and black wire - tapped into it where it was already spliced 

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I'll admit that a KA24DE swap is tempting but to put it into perspective terms what is the going price for one of these engines. Albeit the mileage is a factor and general condition should also be taken into account. 

Here's a scenario as a starting point. S14, comes with tranny, intake manifold, wiring harness, ECU, MAP, etc. roughly 200,000 KM. Say engine is used but still in good shape, cylinder compression is lower but stable across the board. What would be a fair price for this combo?

Any educated guesses out there?

8 hours ago, Rat-a-tat-Dat said:

I ask because I have no starting point here. If anything, you don't see these engines up for sale around here much.

There used to be 5 or 6 in a local yard but all scrapped now. All VG maybe one KA. No on has a 25-30 tear old truck.