• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 naz

naz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:19 PM

So I was just bored so I'm posting a bunch detailed photos of ka24de head. Hopefully it might be of some use to somebody. :D Anyways everyone likes photos right?

These are of the intake as most people could probably guess. You can see the casting marks in them and other flaws that are not cleaned out at the factory. But still pretty clean compared to some factory heads

Posted Image

Posted Image

I didn't do all of the exhaust maybe I'll take a another photo of that later on.

Posted Image

This is detailed shot of the timing chain setup on the ka24de, the timing hasn't been set on the head yet.

Posted Image

On to the valve train setup on a ka24de

Posted Image

Posted Image

Combustion Chamber!

Posted Image

Finally a comparison of set of Suzuki ITB's to the intake ports on the ka24de head

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,420 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:45 PM

Thank's naz! You're right everyone likes pictures. Just looking answers some questions. I see there's a small quench area above the intakes and below the exhaust valves.

I have a question that pictures don't answer... what is the combustion chamber volume in CCs?

Does the stock intake have the swirl inducing valves in it like the E head?

#3 naz

naz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:54 PM

Well I'm not sure how to tell the difference in valves. I will try pick up the stuff to setup so I can cc the chamber and let you know what the number is.

-Naz

#4 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,420 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:03 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear. On the KA24E intake there is a small butterfly valve in each runner, just before each injector. All are connected to a rod which is turned by a vacuum actuator. At high speed the valve is open and at low speeds the valves are closed, causing a slight restriction and turbulence (swirl) past the injector for better fuel mixture. I was wondering if the DE has them too.

Thanks, knowing the CCs would be great!

#5 Icehouse

Icehouse

wolf man

• User Administrator
  • 5,676 posts
  • Cars:57 VW SC - 59 210 - 64 VW camper - 2 68 510 2 dr - 70 bluebird coupe - 3 71 510 2 drs - 73 1200 ute

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:28 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear. On the KA24E intake there is a small butterfly valve in each runner, just before each injector. All are connected to a rod which is turned by a vacuum actuator. At high speed the valve is open and at low speeds the valves are closed, causing a slight restriction and turbulence (swirl) past the injector for better fuel mixture. I was wondering if the DE has them too.

Thanks, knowing the CCs would be great!

Posted Image

The DE and E for my buddy "King Rat"

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb."    Sam

#6 naz

naz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:41 PM

It's interesting that DE seems to have a little bit better positioned fuel injectors but the E uses the more conventional type fuel injectors so that would be much more reasonable to upgrade without a new fuel rail like the DE needs

#7 Icehouse

Icehouse

wolf man

• User Administrator
  • 5,676 posts
  • Cars:57 VW SC - 59 210 - 64 VW camper - 2 68 510 2 dr - 70 bluebird coupe - 3 71 510 2 drs - 73 1200 ute

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:57 PM

It's interesting that DE seems to have a little bit better positioned fuel injectors but the E uses the more conventional type fuel injectors so that would be much more reasonable to upgrade without a new fuel rail like the DE needs

you can get 600cc injectors for 250$ new for the E! They are OEM to so they are actually good quality to.

#8 kiznook

kiznook

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts
  • Cars:72 510 4dr, 91 hardbody

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:17 PM

Yeah top feed injectors are easy to find and really easy to work with. DE intake manifolds totally suck to work on.

Is that a hardbody manifold? or just the lowerhalf of a 240?

#9 naz

naz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:20 PM

of course you could just get rid of the intake on DE all the way and go with those ITB's. One wonders why Nissan was so obsessed with the side feed injectors? SR/KA24DE/VG30DETT/etc,etc. They are loud, are more expensive and really just a pain in the ass.

#10 naz

naz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:46 PM

Posted Image

Also a interesting article.

KA24DE ITB

#11 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,420 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:02 PM

Posted Image

The DE and E for my buddy "King Rat"

Thank you Jeff!
Sorry for the delay, thought the net was down: my cable connection under the house was bad. Hasn't worked right for a day and a half and lost track of this thread. Damn this forum is fast and busy. If you pull over for something you really get left behind!!!

King Rat

#12 Icehouse

Icehouse

wolf man

• User Administrator
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:17 PM

We have been going off on the KA discussions :D Me and Naz where hanging out and he was telling me his idea for the engine section. He thought if we had a thread for each engine with tons of pics it would be kinda handy :D I think it sparked a bit of a chat to :) The KA with ITB's really makes me want to get to work on my MegaSquirt.....

#13 naz

naz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:29 PM

CA, SR, L series, and A series would be nice etc etc.. but I don't have those engines. Maybe other folks can take detailed shots of the engines and post them?

#14 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,420 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:10 PM

We have been going off on the KA discussions :D Me and Naz where hanging out and he was telling me his idea for the engine section. He thought if we had a thread for each engine with tons of pics it would be kinda handy :D I think it sparked a bit of a chat to :) The KA with ITB's really makes me want to get to work on my MegaSquirt.....

Where will I put my bastard Z series photos?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Icehouse

Icehouse

wolf man

• User Administrator
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:33 PM

Start a z engine thread buddy :) with tons of pics.

#16 bonvo

bonvo

Dr. Frankenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,051 posts
  • Cars:73 datsun 610(the zombie 610) 56 chevy 3600 77 620 kc 03 se-r

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:12 AM

ive been working on my l20b for a while i know how it basicly works but for the most part the ka and sr are still new i know that there a popular performance swap and there fuel injected and alot of power options on the aftermarket because there out of the 240sx im looking at the picks of the ka head since it goes from one timing chain to another i was wondering would a ka head bolt to an l20b? flow thru would be nice it would make the motor breathe alot better

the first rule of Ratsun is you don't talk about Ratsun... no wait thats fight club.....

....the first rule of Ratsun is PICS OR BAN! :fu:

http://community.rat...on-resurection/
http://www.build-thr...1/#comment-5259

http://community.rat...-bought-a-what/

its like pikachu cuz its always his go to, the ol relaiable, looks cute kicks ass on the reg. and the 610 is charizard.... when ya really need to lay down some shit. lol - skib

#17 compression

compression

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cars:Formerly Several 510's and a 610

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:14 AM

For those installing an S14 KA into anything, and you dont want the power steering....Here is a quick modification that makes it possible to remove the power steering pump and still have a functioning belt to spin your water pump:
Slap a 12v KA water pump pulley on and use the belt (part number shown). As you tighten the pulley bolts, it pulls the belt tight. Nice clean way to solve the problem.
Posted Image

!!!!!UPDATE!!!!
After running this setup for a while, the belt loosens up(they naturally stretch a little) and there is no way to tighten it. So I dont recommend it.
So, in place, check this out:
http://www.ka-t.org/...steering delete

I just did this conversion on my 1995 KA24DE and id does work. Your alternator is positioned about 1" farther forward so make sure that that wont screw up your radiator hoses and such.
When I did it, the upper alternator bolt would not line up with the arced slot in the upper bracket. So I slotted the lower bracket hole (the one that screws into the timing cover) This allowed some adjustment of the bracket so that the upper alternator bolt would line up. Works great and belt stays tight! Highly recommended.

#18 compression

compression

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cars:Formerly Several 510's and a 610

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:40 AM

Here is some more KA-DE info that might be handy to someone doing a swap.
These are things you can remove from the engine and wiring harness and still have the car function perfectly:
-Secondary (post cat) O2 sensor
-Crank angle sensor (located on transmission bell housing -S14 models)
-Intake air temp sensor -usually located in intake tube or air box, This is not used for operating the engine.
-Complete EGR system and associated sensors
-All transmission sensor/switches (except reverse switch, if you want your lights to work)
-All emissions control sensors and actuators

Here is the bare minimum for running the engine:
-Throttle position sensor
-Water temp sensor
-Knock sensor
-MAF sensor
-Injectors
-Distributor/coil
-Primary oxygen sensor
-Idle control motor
-fast idle valve
-Fuel pump

This has all been verified on my S14 KA swap.

Aaron S.
Portland, OR

#19 NorCalDime

NorCalDime

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Cars:1973 Chevy Blazer 2009 Nissan Versa

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

Here is some more KA-DE info that might be handy to someone doing a swap.
These are things you can remove from the engine and wiring harness and still have the car function perfectly:
-Secondary (post cat) O2 sensor
-Crank angle sensor (located on transmission bell housing -S14 models)
-Intake air temp sensor -usually located in intake tube or air box, This is not used for operating the engine.
-Complete EGR system and associated sensors
-All transmission sensor/switches (except reverse switch, if you want your lights to work)
-All emissions control sensors and actuators

Here is the bare minimum for running the engine:
-Throttle position sensor
-Water temp sensor
-Knock sensor
-MAF sensor
-Injectors
-Distributor/coil
-Primary oxygen sensor
-Idle control motor
-fast idle valve
-Fuel pump

This has all been verified on my S14 KA swap.

great info.

Now i keep finding info but nothing really tells you the exact breakdown parts list to drop a KA into a 510.

What is required other than engine/tranny ecu?
Like fuel pump? do you need a custom driveshaft? is the stock clutch plug and play? crossmember/motor mounts? hood clearance etc. Anyone have a list?>
Settle for a guy who puts the seat down?

#20 ppeters914

ppeters914

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts
  • Cars:1966 & '67 1600 Roadsters, 1966 WPL411 (no drivetrain)

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:18 PM

great info.

Now i keep finding info but nothing really tells you the exact breakdown parts list to drop a KA into a 510.

What is required other than engine/tranny ecu?
Like fuel pump? do you need a custom driveshaft? is the stock clutch plug and play? crossmember/motor mounts? hood clearance etc. Anyone have a list?>

No list, but have you seen this article? WARNING: The pics take a while to load.

Project KA
Pete
-----------------

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.