Project "MX520" TOP SECRET

Bob3

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my new drive shaft built today!:D Here it is with the much shorter stock Miata drive shaft. The new one is 14.5" longer.

mx52012-9-08001.jpg

mx52012-9-08004.jpg

:w00t::thumbsup: THIS IS SO MUCH FUN! ! :w00t::thumbsup:

That's a long shaft

mines long to:lol::lol::lol::lol:

when i did my trans swap i had to lengthen it 5 1/2 inches :lol:

looks good though what color will the truck be? you could do what i did paint the shaft the car color mask off a spiral all the way down it then shoot it black it looks trick

EZ there ezcruiser...I already got dibs on first spin in this thing! :D You should sell laps at the local track.

I'll bet your wife is gonna want first trip out anyway Bob.:cool:

Un...be...lievable!:eek: This thing is going really great! I like the repositioned shock concept. Like you said on the phone...it just fit right in! Pretty darn cool.

Hey.. was looking at where the frame has been sectioned a bit and it's pretty neat that it fals in line with the cross member bar. I guess some gussets would still be in order, but thats an excellent place for some frame mods.

I hope to get some time this weekend to come check it out in person.

Sorry guys. That damn thing called WORK is really cutting into my personal time! :cursing:

I did get started on the front strut towers.

mx52012-16-08008.jpg

mx52012-16-08006.jpg

What do you think? ? :unsure:

This should look cool under the hood when it's done.

What the hell is that? - are them shock towers? :confused:

The shock towers cut from the miata are bolted to the subframe and the subframe is welded to the frame rails. Does that make sense? If you removed the cab you would need to unbolt the shock towers and they would come out with the cab and inner fenders. :unsure: That sounds confusing! I plan to build a removable strut brace once I'm close to done. Yea - colse to done.:rolleyes:

I think it'll be OK!:D

Can you take the cab off independent of the frame? Maybe it's the photos, but it appears that the frame (and therefore Miata front subframe) is welded to both the 521 frame (I know this is the case) AND the inner fender well of the body.

Yes, I can take the cab off. The frame rails and the front subframe stay together. The front shock towers come off with the cab / fenders. BUT - the towers bolt to the front sub frame and that is where they are designed to get their strength. I just built them into the fenders to help locate them. It is not a strength thing.

Here are some pics from the driver side. I will "dress" it into the fender as well. I could leave them alone and run it, it will just look cool this way.

MX52012-16-08phase2006.jpg

MX52012-16-08phase2002.jpg

MX52012-16-08phase2003.jpg

I hope this helps.