First 720

KCs720

Hey everyone I’m Kelley, first post and first 720. Ive been reading through this forum and wow. Lots of good info. I’ve spent enough time reading through posts to come to the conclusion that photos are like cigarettes in prison around here, so I’ll start there.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K4S4hh5KP1Y4xMCi7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DwqYcGfvV96AGTyN9

A little while back I found a 1985 720 ST, liked how it looked and wanted a little truck to haul things to the dump and what not. I’ve never owned a Nissan, never owned a car with a carburetor. A coworker of mine used to have one and told me “as far as small trucks go, those Z24’s are rippers” well done and done.

So I bought it sight unseen. Before I even got to drive it I was reading about the head gaskets, this and that, yadda yadda. 8 spark plugs? A carb? Yikes.. I felt like a hypochondriac discovering Web MD for the first time.

Shortly after it stopped driving (it would idle) and I felt like I was about have my worst fears confirmed. (And maybe even worse, an I told you so from the wife)

Then today I put a new fuel filter in it, she cranked right up and I took her out for a rip!

Looking forward to learning to work on this truck, and when I get the balls I’m gonna slap a Weber 32/36 I have on it.

Should I give it a full tune up and some pampering before putting the new carb on or does it matter?

And thanks everyone, I feel blessed I am not just going off a Haynes manual on this one!

• Like 2
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me there were some "growing pains" with the weber swap. It was used and I had to do some jet swapping. There is a book but even with that I ended up taking the idle jet to a real German with strong accent and he drilled it out by hand and said "no charge" ran like silk 150k.

• Like 3

Get a factory service manual. They are year specific to your truck. PM me if you need to see something in person. I have a 38/38 Weber on mine.  I live in DRW.

You can check mine out Deschutes Brewery on Sundays.

Hnddpnh.jpg

Do the headbolt retorque. Check and change all fluids. Look for leaks.

• Like 1

The head gasket problem is prevented mostly by maintenance. Just re-torque the head bolts once a year. Fully loosen only ONE bolt (at a time) and tighten to 60 pounds, any order you like and the engine must be COLD.

A FSM for your year will often pay for it's self the first time you use it.

I would drain and replace all lubricants. The transmission drain bung has a magnet on it so wipe clean so you can inspect it in 30K when you change the oil next. Use ONLY  GL-4 gear oil in the transmission NEVER GL-5.

Differential is basically the same but use GL-5 ONLY.

I use Shell Rotella T4 engine oil which has a comparable ZDDP level in it like the oil used back in the 80s. Oils today have been phasing the ZDDP out and our 'flat tappet' engines need the anti-scuff additives in them. I urge you to look up the ZDDP controversy and make an informed decision on what engine oil to use. Chevron Delo 400 is also good and there are others.

A good engine tune up is advised so that you have problem free driving. 

• Like 1