Differences Between 80-82 720s and 83+?

GMT400

Hey ya'll, haven't been on this forum in a long time. I've got a 1981 2wd 720 I'd like to lower, and apart from cranking the t-bars I'd like to get some drop spindles for the front. However every manufacturer I look at (Belltech, Street Edge, etc.) has their drop spindles listed as only working for 83+ 720s/Hardbodies. I can't imagine there's a difference but this seems weird, so clue me in.

p.s. as a matter of fact there are no parts for pre-83 720s listed from any of these manufacturers, only 83+, i.e. bump stops, pinion shims, shocks etc. So again, is there actually any differences here?

p.p.s. I'd also like this thread to be a spot for any other differences between 720 years to be named, because there's probably a lot I don't know!

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, your 1981 Datsun 720 has non-vented rotors, these type of spindle assemblies are not compatible with vented rotor types and that is what the belltech drop spindles are made for, so if you want to use drop spindles just buy them(belltech 2005) and then use your hubs and put 86+ rotors on them, buy 86+ calipers/pads, rubber brake lines and then put it all on to your existing ball joints if they are good/serviceable.

There is a little more involved with the modification like the lower tie rod assemblies need shortened a little, I am sure someone that has done it will chime in with how much needs to be taken off of them.

• Like 1

November '83 about 4 months into the '84 model year....

Self adjusting rear drums were introduced.

Z24 and Z20 (Mileage Option) and SD25 diesel engines introduced.

Larger calipers and vented front rotors.

Master cylinder increased from 7/8" to 15/16"

The 71B 4 speed retired and only 5 speeds available.

Round instrument dash gauges.

Hood redesigned and vents deleted.

Slider rear window option available.

• Like 1

OK, your 1981 Datsun 720 has non-vented rotors, these type of spindle assemblies are not compatible with vented rotor types and that is what the belltech drop spindles are made for, so if you want to use drop spindles just buy them(belltech 2005) and then use your hubs and put 86+ rotors on them, buy 86+ calipers/pads, rubber brake lines and then put it all on to your existing ball joints if they are good/serviceable.

There is a little more involved with the modification like the lower tie rod assemblies need shortened a little, I am sure someone that has done it will chime in with how much needs to be taken off of them.

Sweet, thanks.

Just did a little looking and found in this thread that tie rods need to be trimmed about an inch: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/64620-does-anyone-make-a-drop-spindle-set-for-1980-datsun-720/

I'll wait for someone to confirm that.

• Like 1

I suggest cutting a 1/4" at a time and checking the fit and toe end.  I had to cut about an inch per side on my 80 720 chassis under my 66 520.  I chose to shorten the inner and outer tie rods on ech side of the truck even amounts so I did not have one with longer threads.  I took an 1/8" of of each inner and outer tie rod end until I could get proper toe in.

Also I had issues with 14" stock wheels hitting on my lower control arms.  I had to clearance the lower control arms by cutting the end of the control arms off.  Check of my 66 520 build thread for pictures.  Firefox will not let me open PostImage at this time comes up with unsecure connection.

• Like 1

I suggest cutting a 1/4" at a time and checking the fit and toe end.  I had to cut about an inch per side on my 80 720 chassis under my 66 520.  I chose to shorten the inner and outer tie rods on ech side of the truck even amounts so I did not have one with longer threads.  I took an 1/8" of of each inner and outer tie rod end until I could get proper toe in.

Also I had issues with 14" stock wheels hitting on my lower control arms.  I had to clearance the lower control arms by cutting the end of the control arms off.  Check of my 66 520 build thread for pictures.  Firefox will not let me open PostImage at this time comes up with unsecure connection.

Awesome, very helpful. Thank you.