Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield.

Melkor

^Title.

Anyone know where I can find one for an 86 720 pickup?  It feels like I've looked everywhere at this point, and I'd rather not have to buy a (non-CARB compliant) manifold just for the heat shield it comes with.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there someone close by that can ceramic coat it for you ?

But like Mike said, simple fixes can work also.

I've made heat shields from layers of aluminum sheet, sandwiching fiber glass cloth or mat, and pop-riveting it all together.

Used 3 layers of aluminum, and 2 of glass.

I've made heat shields from layers of aluminum sheet, sandwiching fiber glass cloth or mat, and pop-riveting it all together.

Don't know about trucks, but for 510's the popular option I've seen (mainly for mikunis and racecars) is a custom-made aluminum sheet. Can be a bitch to manufacture, but in the end, the only measurements that will work are those pertaining to YOUR engine bay. Measure measure measure.  

I use poster board to make patterns with.

When it fits, I transfer the pattern to metal.

The guys at Project Binky call it  'CAD'.

(Cardboard Aided Design)

I was doing it before people had computers in their homes, or the acronym 'CAD' had another meaning.

• Like 1

motorexhaustman.z24andz24iLarge.jpg

I assumed this 'heat shield' is for the ATC (automatic temperature control) for providing warmed air to the air filter????? It's the one on the right above. The air filter snorkel has a temp controlled valve that mixes ambient and heated air and regulates it at around 100F. A closely controlled air supply temperature makes the engine run more reliably and efficiently.

Pretty much yeah, need one to pass smog in California.

Funnily enough after making this thread the guy currently working on my truck offered to fabricate/weld one together when I brought it up, so that problem is (maybe) solved.

Even offered to bring my truck to the smog guys across the street from his shop after doing so since he used to be a smog guy way back in the day, and they know each other, which will (hopefully) make the whole process easier.

Though on the downside the downpipe I ordered didn't fit properly, so it'll be a few days before he can do that since he has to cut/weld it to connect to the rest of the exhaust system.

Such is the life of owning a 720 made on the year they switched models I guess.

• Like 1

The '86 model year 720 started in June of '85 and ended around Oct '85 when the Hardbody replaced them. Order a downpipe for an '85 and it will likely fit. Calling it an '86 probably makes it, at least in the eyes of the parts counter manuals... an '86 Hardbody.

• Like 1

The '86 model year 720 started in June of '85 and ended around Oct '85 when the Hardbody replaced them. Order a downpipe for an '85 and it will likely fit. Calling it an '86 probably makes it, at least in the eyes of the parts counter manuals... an '86 Hardbody.

Yeah just never tell your average parts guy you have an '86 720 they just assume you don't know anything and order hardbody parts without even telling you. Always ask for '85 stuff.

• Like 2

Yep, had that problem when trying to find break shoes/drums, must've ordered them two times before taking extremely careful measurements of the old ones and scouring RockAuto for ones that would fit, 2wd/Rwd designation be damned.

Auto parts are rather frustrating to order honestly, since there's no telling if said part will actually fit or not until it arrives.

Which is why I'm just going to pay the guy working on it at the moment to weld/cut it into the proper shape, rather than play the guessing game on if this or this is the right pipe for my truck, because despite the label of being for 2wd or 4wd I've found that said label is...less than reliable.

Might be because of my truck and the guy who owned it before me, might be because of the model changeover, either way it remains an exercise in frustration that I'd rather not deal with.

• Like 1

I use poster board to make patterns with.

When it fits, I transfer the pattern to metal.

The guys at Project Binky call it  'CAD'.

(Cardboard Aided Design)

I was doing it before people had computers in their homes, or the acronym 'CAD' had another meaning.

Yeah buddy, I remember my Pops using cardboard templates for tons of things before computers were in every home. He’d still rather do it that way.