FS5W71F (Manual) 5 Speed making noise

Watch the video for transmission noise. 

The noise was not loud but recently it has got worse. Listen to it. The truck is at idle. Was wondering if its the throwout bearing or it is the transmission itself. When the clutch is pressed, the noise goes away a little. I'm able to drive it in all gears except 5th gear and I'm able to change gears without any problems. What do you guys think?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well first pull the fill plug and check the oil level. There's not much you can do for a transmission on the outside anyway. If it run dry it's pretty much toast. Is that transmission oil I see on the ground? Get a container and drain the oil out the bottom bung. Take a look at it for metal filings, and chunks.

Release bearings generally are quiet when the pedal is up because they are not in use and noisy when pedal down and under load. If the opposite is true then, pedal down the transmission is disconnected and nothing is moving inside and thus... quiet.

My guess is the counter bearing is destroyed. If only that it can be replaced, but pieces from it can get between gear teeth and chip them.

Thank you Datzenmike for the reply. The oil level is full, I just replaced it 2 days ago. I did not find any metal shavings or metal parts in the old oil. I shall attempt to pull out the transmission in a few days and see what's going on. I asked around and the average price quote I got rebuild is $1200-1400 (more than what the truck is worth). I could probably buy a new one from autozone for that price. Car monkey has new with 5 year warranty for $780 (something like that). That's the cheapest I could find. I looked at some junkywards here in Fresno, CA and none of them had transmissions in them. 

The oil leak is I'm trying to figure out, its dripping where the transmission meets the engine, but it seems like its coming from somewhere up. 

There is knocking noise, tac tac tac, similar to the one the video. But when I shift it in 4th or any other gear, the noise goes away or decreases. So I avoid putting it 5th gear (even thou I can drive in it, I don't want to make things worse). 

The reverse is fine. No issues with that. I took it to a transmission mechanic and he said it's the transmission from the inside and will have to be either replaced or rebuilt. If I'm going to replace it, I might as well are get a rebuild kit and attempt it myself. If not, I will just buy a new one from one of the following sites. I'm looking at junkyards too. 

Here are some of the sites I looked at, any suggestions or reviews? 

carmonkeys.com - I read bad reviews about them but looks promising. http://www.carmonkeys.com/1984-NISSAN-NISSAN-PICKUP-Transmission-Transaxle-Manual-Transmission-Gasoline-4x2-Z24-5-Years-Warranty

Midwest Transmission Center Inc, https://www.midwesttrans.com/FS5W71_Manual_Transmission.html

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/pro-king-remanufactured-manual-transmission-fs5w71-c/20150390-P?navigationPath=L1*14925%7CL2*15053%7CL3*16374%7CL4*12293

Worth a try.

Fourth 'gear' is not really a 'gear' as the transmission just connects straight through from clutch to driveshaft. ALL other gears have power transferred through the counter shaft. If a bearing is bad it will make the most noise there in 1, 2, 3, 5, and Rev.

A tac tac tac sound,  sounds like a chipped tooth. As the front counter bearing takes a beating over the years Nissan replaced the old 56mm with a 62mm for '85 as an up-grade. You can't do this without milling the front case so probably a new one would be good enough. When it fails the counter driven gear right behind it might have been chipped. This is just a likely scenario.

• 7 months later...