32 replies to this topic

#1 MazerRakum

MazerRakum

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Cars:72 510

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

HI All - so before I get destroyed by the Ratsun family for starting this topic - let me say I did conduct a search and maybe I didn't do it so right - but I couldn't find the information I required regarding compatible carbs for a L20b motor on a 510.

I have access to picking up a set of Solex C40 DDH Carbs. my issue is - when ever I look up any info regarding them - they only say "Alfa Romeos" but I've had a couple of people tell me that they are compatible with the l20b motor.

im skeptical. I've found that the Solex C40 ADDHE are compatible with the L16-L20 motors but no mention about the Solex C40 DDH.

would the infinite ratsun family and their wisdom be able to tell me if this particular Carb is actually compatible with my motor or should I tell this guy that he'll need to adjust his ad??

even pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated as any help would be.

please and thanks

:)

#2 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,247 posts
  • Cars:71 Datsun 510 and 65 Mustang Fastback

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

You looking for downdraft or side drafts. For downdraft, 32/36 weber. I prefer manual choke. Check out pierce manifold, Gilroy,ca. Don't buy empi crap. Try to get one piece adapter.

#3 Jesse C.

Jesse C.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,287 posts
  • Cars:72 Datsun 510 2 Door, '08 Nissan Xterra

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:14 PM

You can run almost any small engine type of carb if you have the right manifold and know how to jet it. 

Single downdraft, twin sidedrafts  and single sidedrafts. MIkuni carbs are basically copies of Solex carbs, so yes, they would work, if you have the right manifold and jets

I am allergic to some pet hair, dust, avocados and annoying motherfuckers ! :)

#4 paradime

paradime

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts
  • Cars:72 510 SR20 2 door, 01, Acura MDX, Valocci Electric Motorbike.

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

As Racer and Jessie said, compatibility is relative. If I can add my $.02, a set of carbs off a 1000cc + motorcycle. May not be "bolt on" compatible, but it's a great option. Low cost, look sick, loads of parts and upgrades, and more unique than most. Worth researching.

42284454192_72da03f567_z.jpg

36028318531_e4983e3724_m.jpg

The blocked list is getting bigger-but you were the first.

http://the510realm.c...php?f=3&t=15379

http://youtu.be/H4rYbyudrhA?t=55s  https://youtu.be/GZtp6PiFlTI?t=2s https://youtu.be/G4RjPtffZHI?t=2s

#5 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

that's so sexxxy! 

#6 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,421 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:12 PM

there was soem made in Italy Solexes. I had a pair I got free but sold them. Didint know where to get parts for them.

They all pretty much the same but key is getting the full kit with linkages. Otherwise the carbs dont know its sucking gas from a Alfa or a Datsun

Throw on some Weber sidedrafts, Rising Sun hood.... call it good

#7 loungin112

loungin112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

Seems the intake manifold is what makes the difference as to whether it will "mate" to the head or not.  If you have the right manifold, you could put anything onto an L20, L18, L16, Xyz123, etc.

#8 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 72,503 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

If on your L20B manifold then stock carb or with an adapter a Weber 32/36.

If you look you may find a manifold and set of L16 SSS or L18 SSS Hitachi SUs from Japan. Fit right on, simple, reliable (once adjusted) infinitely adjustable and some modest power that the stock carb can't provide. For one, the air goes straight and doesn't have to make a 90 degree bend under the carb.

1Upfvv6.jpg

Yamaha R-1 carbs on my home made intake...

LKRqT0r.jpg

Posted Image

#9 bananahamuck

bananahamuck

S&S chicken/rice

• 13,640 posts
  • Cars:Cleopatra does the nasty.

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:45 PM

I believe , Solex side draft carbs normally have the same mounting pattern as a side draft Weber.  So you should be able to just buy a manifold for Webers or Dellortos and bolt them up. 

Have the dude take a picture of engine side of carbs with ruler between mounting holes and compare.. 

You definitely want all of the linkage you can get to make it easier but making your own isn't impossible. 

I'm guessing that they are not JDM, but rather TDM

..........................I shall call it, narclops.

#10 bananahamuck

bananahamuck

S&S chicken/rice

• 13,640 posts
  • Cars:Cleopatra does the nasty.

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:55 PM

When we had those polished SUs on Doodies car most of the info i was getting was SU carbs aren't a good choice 

for an L20b.  Unless it has been professionally "tuned" for one... Something to do with engine size as they were originally on a 1600. I don't think it was is cam cuz the sss 1600 ran a good size cam out of the box

Unless you are very good at tuning Webers ( Solex in your case ) anything would be better as they tend to be on or off ,, not much around town driveability as a 32/36 

something weird is going on with sentence editing tonight .. 

I'm guessing that they are not JDM, but rather TDM

..........................I shall call it, narclops.

#11 MazerRakum

MazerRakum

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

RacerX (awesome nod to speed racer), JesseC, BananaHamuck, Banzai510, Loungin112 and DatsunMike thanks for the heads up on all this awesome info. I'm blown away by the support. Paradime wow, it didn't even cross my mind that you could possibly have bike carbs as an option. Speechless.

Definitely will consider this as an option.

And of course DatsunMike would have a setup like this already. Top notch.

So the manifold is the key here. If the seller doesn't have the manifold or has one that was for an L16, would it fit on the L20b? I know the seems like a stupid question, but this is my first 510 and carb'd car. And I've read some posts where loads of parts from the L series motors are interchangeable. I see Weber 32/34 mentioned a couple of times, but I'm assuming that's for down draft setup?

If the seller does not have the manifold, would it be hard to track one down?? Using BananaHamuck's ruler method would be a safe move regardless?

DatsunMike - the adapter you mentioned, would that be compatible with these carbs? Is it expensive? And the manifold you fabricated, how did you know what length to make them? Did that play a factor? Your manifold looks longer than those posted by Paradime. Also, would you recommend bike carbs as a cheaper solution? Or is fabricating a manifold offset the savings one would make with purchasing carbs?

RacerX - the ones this seller has are side draft (I'm pretty sure you knew that already) and I think I want to go with that look, well because I like it better than the down draft setup. Lol is there a higher level of maintenance for side draft carbs over down draft?

Sorry for the questions.

Also, anyone from the Canadian Ontario region, specifically Toronto, know of a place that could:
- shorten a drive shaft
- install a 5spd tranny

I know the last question is off topic, but I thought I'd ask since you guys were helpful with my initial post.

Thanks again for your help guys.

#12 racerx

racerx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:21 PM

Yes, downdraft is easier to maintain. You set it and forget it. Much cheaper and practical for daily driver. Which 5 speed will you go with? Dog leg or a z?

#13 MazerRakum

MazerRakum

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:27 PM

Sorry, another dumb question. The bike carbs:
- is there a specific brand that is best or any bike would be good?
- should they come off a bike that's at least 1000cc?
- does the year of the bike play a factor?
- these should come with a fuel line, right?? Or do I need to fabricate one?

I know... What a noob.

I'm learning guys. Or at least trying too.

Thanks for any answers provided

#14 MazerRakum

MazerRakum

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:30 PM

RacerX, the tranny is off a '77 280z.

#15 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 72,503 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:31 PM

My only consideration for intake length was that the carbs fit without hitting the strut tower. I have yet to fit them as I have the car insured for the summer and don't want it off thew road. Later or in the fall before the weather gets bad. Still have to work out some kind of vacuum advance and a throttle cable to replace the linkage.

At some point Yamaha went to EFI so early 2000s? 1,000 cc at 14,000 RPMs would be about the same as a two liter at 7K? Here... http://community.rat...s-lots-of-pics/

Posted Image

#16 MazerRakum

MazerRakum

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:39 PM

DatsunMike - thanks for the link. That was a good read. Pictures didn't load for me though :( but that's fine.

I found a set for a low price, off a '99, would that do?

The seller for the solex carbs is looking to get 600 dollars for his set. A bit high with no manifold to come with them.

#17 MazerRakum

MazerRakum

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

Also, I'd probably need advice on the linkage replacement if I go with the bike carbs

#18 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 72,503 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:40 AM

It's a cable on the R1 carbs, which helps. No linkage to bind but the 510 set up on the firewall would have to go. The 620 and 521 truck use a cable. That link probably covers how to cobble something together, it's a long long read, but probably in there.

Posted Image

#19 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• 15,421 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:23 AM

If you need soemone to install a tranyy you might be over your head already. One need to tell us what 5 speed you have your money suplly ect otherwise we are not mind readers. Maybe you live in a Apartment complex and need to get this dont before it starts snowing and you have a car that is working already.

Does this car run already right now?  otherwise just put a 32/36 weber on there and just drive it.

One needs to start with basic carbs before buying alot of Junk sidedrafts with no part support and hoping its going to work,

There are some Ontario people I think on the 510 realm.

I have a sidedraft 510(really had 2 untill recently).

I like driving my stock type 521 Weber 32/36 better as its just ezeier to drive daily.

Throw on some Weber sidedrafts, Rising Sun hood.... call it good

#20 Jesse C.

Jesse C.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,287 posts
  • Cars:72 Datsun 510 2 Door, '08 Nissan Xterra

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:34 AM

Honestly, I would pass on the Solex carbs, just because of parts availability and cost to tune. Buying jets can get expensive. 

I would highly recommend a Weber 32/36 for ease of use and availability. Maybe move up to the bigger carbs as your experience grows. 

K740__41673.1379046145.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

I am allergic to some pet hair, dust, avocados and annoying motherfuckers ! :)